Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Looking at the completion rate for the first gems its 25.9% , so on the codex people wont have trouble but it's apprently too hard for most people still. Last part was indeed without rest, but those are 5-6 medium encounters,its what it should be all the time . Strangely only happens in the end. I bet it was supposed to be like that since the beggining but they had no time to change the last part.
Low completion rates are typical these days, not because games are too hard but because people get easily bored and move on, and yes, 26% is pretty high.

Pillars of Eternity: 41% beat chapter 1, 26% chapter 2, 16% chapter 3, 14% beat the game.

Mortmal

Arcane
Looking at the completion rate for the first gems its 25.9% , so on the codex people wont have trouble but it's apprently too hard for most people still. Last part was indeed without rest, but those are 5-6 medium encounters,its what it should be all the time . Strangely only happens in the end. I bet it was supposed to be like that since the beggining but they had no time to change the last part.
Low completion rates are typical these days, not because games are too hard but because people get easily bored and move on, and yes, 26% is pretty high.

Pillars of Eternity: 41% beat chapter 1, 26% chapter 2, 16% chapter 3, 14% beat the game.
Age of decadence 2% to 0.9% for late game achievements.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thinking that this game might be "too hard to finish" is crazy.

You can create 4 characters at random, auto-allocate your attributes, and left click your way to victory for 98% of the encounters.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
26% is really high these days. Can’t remember the last game I finished and wasn’t because too hard.
its not the completion rate of the whole game its the first chapter.Completion is 5.1%.

gross assumptions are one thing but you also seem to have a dubious approach to assertions

wN7DLjR.jpg

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Well aware but what's your point? I didn't say that Pillars was a shit game and that's why nobody finished it. For the record, its late game achievements are 0.8-0.2%, not that it changes or means anything. The vast majority of games have similar stats.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Btw to anyone playing this: do NOT play Spellblade. The design is bizarre. Keep in mind Paladins are superior to Fighters in 5E by virtue of Divine Smite alone - which is one of the best abilities in the game. Then all the added juicyness like the save aura comes on top.

In Solasta, this is topped off by 2 of the Oaths having access to Shield - which, inexplicably, Spellblades do not have even though access to these defensive mage-spells is usually the one Gish-advantage Fighters do have over Paladins. Now, in Solasta, Mirror Image and similar spells don't exist at all. Of course spellblades still only have 2nd level spell slots when the game ends, while Paladins have 3rd level spellslots.

So what a Spellblade is is a straight up vanilla non-archetyped fighter with access to Magic Missile and Scorching Ray during the later levels :lol:

Though now that I think about it, do roll with a spellblade. Paladins are so OP they break an already too easy game :D

Shrimp

Arbiter
Keep in mind that the number is likely brought down by people who bought the game during early access and never touched it again. Achievements were only added when the game officially launched 2(?) months ago.

Mortmal

Arcane

Well aware but what's your point? I didn't say that Pillars was a shit game and that's why nobody finished it. For the record, its late game achievements are 0.8-0.2%, not that it changes or means anything. The vast majority of games have similar stats.

Point is a full walkthrough seems easy enough and rather short 10 h or so , yet apparently almost no one is finishing it .People arent finishing games , not even one third of it, and the higher the diifficulty the worse it gets.
I am pretty sure solasta is too hard , remember a few pages ago myzzrin said the testers had trouble with the first crown fight.Trivial for us but impossible for 90% of players.
SO people are lazy and completely retarded wasting money on games they arent even playing.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
SO people are lazy and completely retarded

wow wow there don't be so hard on yourself. you just made up a number to win an argument on an RPG forum. you didn't kill anyone
That's why i had to remove you from ignore, i realized i was far too harsh with you ,depriving you of my most needed teachings and enlightment.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Btw to anyone playing this: do NOT play Spellblade. The design is bizarre. Keep in mind Paladins are superior to Fighters in 5E by virtue of Divine Smite alone - which is one of the best abilities in the game. Then all the added juicyness like the save aura comes on top.

In Solasta, this is topped off by 2 of the Oaths having access to Shield - which, inexplicably, Spellblades do not have even though access to these defensive mage-spells is usually the one Gish-advantage Fighters do have over Paladins. Now, in Solasta, Mirror Image and similar spells don't exist at all. Of course spellblades still only have 2nd level spell slots when the game ends, while Paladins have 3rd level spellslots.

So what a Spellblade is is a straight up vanilla non-archetyped fighter with access to Magic Missile and Scorching Ray during the later levels :lol:

Though now that I think about it, do roll with a spellblade. Paladins are so OP they break an already too easy game :D

It is not that awfull, since they fucked up the coding on expeditious retreat, so it gives you two bonus actions. You can take 3 attacks before Extra Attack this way if you either dual wield or take the perk to gain bonus action attacks with 2 handed weapons.
It is more of an exploit than anything else tho. By general balance the class is absolute garbage, with that you are right. Fighter in general is shafted in this game, with the only strong PHB archetype in Battle Master missing and a nerfed Spellblade. Champion has always been a noob trap. Only the Mountaineer can even remotely keep up with a pala here.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It is not that awfull, since they fucked up the coding on expeditious retreat, so it gives you two bonus actions. You can take 3 attacks before Extra Attack this way if you either dual wield or take the perk to gain bonus action attacks with 2 handed weapons.
It is more of an exploit than anything else tho. By general balance the class is absolute garbage, with that you are right. Fighter in general is shafted in this game, with the only strong PHB archetype in Battle Master missing and a nerfed Spellblade. Champion has always been a noob trap. Only the Mountaineer can even remotely keep up with a pala here.

Yeah that's a cheat ;)

And yeah, really missing Battle Master. I like 5E but they lacked cojones in some areas. One of these is that Battle Master should have just been the core fighter design. It's a very enjoyable yet still very simple way to give fighters more to do, with inspiration from Book of Nine Swords (but obviously way less over the top).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Adn yeah, really missing Battle Master. I like 5E but they lacked cojones in some areas. One of these is that Battle Master should have just been the core fighter design. It's a very enjoyable yet still very simple way to give fighters more to do, with inspiration from Book of Nine Swords (but obviously way less over the top).

The problem is that fighter kind of has the double role as a tutorial class. There are people who do not want to think, and just want to play a fighter to grok stuff, with combat interaction not going beyond "I run towards the goblin and hit him".
I agree that the maneuvers should become part of the core design of the class, so you can have a spellblade/psi knight whatever with maneuvers, but I wonder sometimes how they can do this while stile keeping a way open to make a braindead fighter.
Maybe make a new type of maneuver that just gives you an extra attack without any secondary effects, and buff all maneuvers against that new, slightly higher powerlevel? Noobs love more attacks.

Mortmal

Arcane
Spell blade is a real poor choice cause solasta doesnt have the good cantrips and dont homebrew something equivalent like booming blade and greenflame blade :
"As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.
This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level."

"As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and green fire leaps from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier.
This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level."

Then you dont even have mirror image, nor reach weapons either . The main reasons to have a melee caster are simply not here .Even with that it still wont be as good as a magus in pathfinder however.

copebot

Learned
I finished Caer Falcun with a fighter/cleric/sorcerer/bow ranger party just short of level 5. The final encounter was probably harder than anything in the main campaign not considering the Green Dragon, but I was so paranoid of the Evil Priests by this point that I dropped a fat-assed silence on three of the four casters during the surprise round and breezed through it. If I hadn't done that (or perhaps used Darkness as an alternative), I probably would have party wiped in one round. I dunno if the Evil Priests are really appropriately CR'd considering that they can cast multiple level 3 spells, but they were really the toughest dudes of the whole dungeon.

The dungeon maker still obviously has some rough spots that have to be designed around. Bringing a sorcerer definitely made it harder because I could never identify anything I found. I also went the entire run without any thief tools until one of the enemies in the final boss encounter dropped one.

Aside from that, he was fine -- just a shittier wizard with better physical stats and AC because of the draconic heritage. I verified in this run that the healer cleric really is much worse than the battle cleric. Their special ability is just trash. I can't really compare the bow ranger to the rogue that I used in the MC, but my impression is that it was overall worse just because of how easily you can abuse stealth. I felt that the fighter was a little underrated, although obviously not as incredible as a Battle Master, the fact that you can Action Surge about every encounter makes up for the lack of pally smiting. The pally smite only gets ridiculous at higher levels, anyway, and since they are raising the cap to 11 fighters might get a bit healthier by comparison.

One bug that became obvious which might be pretty bad is that the Evil Priests ignore line of sight to cast lightning bolt. It just goes through walls and doesn't care if the NPC can see the PC it's targeting or not. During the main campaign there aren't really many opportunities for this to happen because most of the NPCs don't have lightning bolt and there aren't that many dungeon encounters either. They'll just zap a dude from across the map through solid brick walls.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Solasta is much better playing with 2x damage taken and 50% enemy health. It makes the game far more lethal. Fells more like old school D&D despite being a 5E game. A single hit from a goblin can almost kill my party member. A single burning hands and a lot of goblins die. A single hit from a viper and my sorc is down. My party? A shock arcanist and 3 sorcerers. Each one from each subclass.

I fell like I am playing ToEE now on low levels.

Sorry for posting it on the wrong thread.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/3251715

Solasta Dev Stream July 27th & Kickstarter Goodies Update!

5fa1be8d33345c3cb96718d449d0aa44_original.png

Hello everyone!

We hope you're out there having fun enjoying the Sorcerer Update. We're doing this little update to inform you all that we'll be hosting a small Dev Stream on Tuesday 27th starting at 9 am PDT / 11 am EDT / 6 pm CEST for about 2 hours, where we'll discuss the game, the update and also talk a bit about the future (a bright one, worry not). We're also taking the opportunity to give our Kickstarter Backers an update on everything that has to do with their rewards - especially their physical ones!

0464dfad8a699c24f24db8c0aaa6c083_original.png

Also, cats. Always cats. The sofa has been relinquished to our feline overlords.
Solasta Campaign Sourcebook - almost done!
e6c6cce3600c255765c4b7a3b6c19c3c_original.png

Digital sample of the Solasta Campaign Sourcebook

The digital version of the Solasta Campaign Sourcebook is almost done! In fact, you'll probably receive a first digital version within the next two weeks - although we haven't done proofreading yet, so there are bound to be small mistakes here and there (we will of course send you a final version once everything is complete as well).

And before we go any further, we know a lot of people have been asking to buy copies of our Sourcebook but we unfortunately can't sell them outside our Kickstarter Campaign. We'd love to, but there are legal implications in doing so meaning it's not going be possible for now. Sorry folks!

Anyway, what's left to do for the Sourcebook?
  • Complete the Deluxe Edition's Art Section. As Backers may remember, the physical version of the Sourcebook has an extra section at the end of the book with various illustrations and concept art of Solasta.
  • Proofreading. In order to make sure there are as few mistakes as possible in the text, we'll have a professional proofreader go over the text.
  • Printing. Once the Deluxe Edition Sourcebook is 100% ready to go, our printing partner will start to get the printing presses rolling!
fb2e79c709b6298a7f5288b099d97ae5_original.png

Digital sample of the Ruins of Carillach Gar adventure included in the Adventure Box

Adventure Box, Vinyl Disks & Shipping Date
So, if you're like me most of you have one question in mind: When are we going to receive the physical goods?

After discussing with our partner handling the operations related to our Kickstarter goodies, it turns out that due to the current situation both manufacturing and transport take much longer than what it was in 2019. We're currently looking at Early 2022 to have the Adventure Box and the Deluxe Sourcebook delivered at your doorstep - which is quite a bit more time than we would have wanted! We went from 3 months after 1.0 launch to 6-7 months now, and for that we apologize.

1b7157c268ded3ef1f7a9d06852e5fc4_original.png

Monster Card - Deep Spider, included in the Adventure Box

So, what are the reasons behind that?
  • First, as previously stated, compared to 2019 the delays have increased tremendously in the boardgame industry. Unsurprisingly since a lot of people are stuck at home board games are soaring in popularity, so factories around the world are seeing an increase in demand - meaning it takes more time to get our Adventure Box to be manufactured.
  • Second, international transport which mainly relies on boats is also getting slowed by the situation. A COVID outbreak in one port means boats may end up stranded for several weeks, creating more delays.
  • Third, although we did our best to prepare the Adventure Box and Sourcebook as much as we could before release, our main priority has always been Solasta. There were many times were we had to switch focus from the physical goodies to fully direct our attention to the game, pushing back tasks required to complete said goodies. That said, the Adventure Box's design is complete and is now in the hands of the manufacturer!
Note, the exception to the rule are the Vinyl Disks that are handled separately by our Audio partner G4F, which you can still order on their website - as far as we're informed, those should be shipped in the next two months.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister Original Soundtrack Vinyl Disks

Digital Rewards
Physical Rewards are not the only Kickstarter Rewards that are yet to be sent! We still have:
  • Solasta Digital World Map: We actually have added a new one on top of the existing one, and both are ready to be sent (we'll bundle that together with the Sourcebook PDF v0.9). The original world map focused on the locations found in Solasta: Crown of the Magister, and the additional world map actually includes the surrounding kingdoms that are yet to be shown in the main game!
  • Solasta Tabletop Sourcebook (PDF). As stated above, the v0.9 (without proofreading) will be sent within the next two weeks!
  • Dev Documents. This one is a bit trickier as we have to make sure we aren't sharing sensitive information (for instance, things that our partners may have shared with us), but we're hoping to also bundle that with the rest of the digital rewards!
e46884438a1618ec37a3014d9e51b57b_original.png

World Map of Solasta: Crown of the Magister (available both in .PSD & .PNG format)

Alright folks, this is the end for today! See you on July 27th for the Dev Stream, and don't hesitate to prepare a few questions for us! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

Article by Tactical Myzzrym

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom