1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister - 5E OGL turn-based RPG with verticality - now on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Safav Hamon, Nov 26, 2018.

1. RPK Learned

RPK
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    :shittydog:

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.solasta-game.com/news/106-tldr-9-a-new-lighting-system

• Doggy Doggy x 16
    • decline decline x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    After actually reading the post the changes sound reasonable enough.
    I was afraid they'd severely reduce the effects of the darkness but it sounds like it's being kept the way it currently is, but with some other ways of illuminating dark areas.
    Being able to throw the torches is a nice addition, especially if there's a chance that you lose them upon throwing them. If I recall correctly the game was full torches that you never got to use because they lasted for such a long time you rarely had to light a new one.
    I'll have to wait and see to determine what I think of the cantrips though, I suspect they might be a bit too good.

^ Top  
  5. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Yeah, you need darkness to hide away that disgusting creature. Won't help with the smell though.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    Newt just wishes he (or she, if the name comes from Aliens) was a cat.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Well tough luck.

• No No x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Look at that cute doggy.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • No No x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Anyway, figuring out all these ways to negate the disadvantage from fighting in the darkness seems to me like a ridiculous solution to a non-existent (or an artificially-made) problem. Just use darkness sparingly, issue fixed, and it adds variety to combat encounters on top.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    I'm not sure using it sparingly is going to work out when right from the beginning their intention was for the light/darkness to be a core mechanic in combat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Bara Erudite

Bara
    A victory for the dogs at last but the battle rages ever on.

• Doggy x 7
    • incline x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    It's better than implementing a system for them to then have to figure out ways to circumvent by implementing other stuff. It smells of self-sabotage. And every combat revolving around trying to light shit up doesn't sound very fun. The experiment didn't work out, big deal. They still have the lighting system and can use it sparingly for encounter variety. Problem fixed, and it reins in Darkvision races by default by giving a use to their ability without destroying an alleged gameplay hook. The spell Darkness is immediately more useful as a result too.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Serus Arcane

Serus
    Apparently it was too in Bulgaria in the early 90s, including dog eating. Which incidentally explains one of our posters dislike/like of dogs/cats. Someone will be butthurt but I don't make it up, I had the misfortune to live there for a few years at the time. In general muslim countries or ones that were under muslim rule for a long time like Bulgaria are cat countries and are anti-dog. Mohammed loving cats and hating dogs according to tradition.

Damn, what an off topic. But the game itself looks interesting and i came here to read news about it.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Waterd Scholar

Waterd
    I'm very picky yet so far I'm very pleasantly surprised with this game, aiming for my top 10 rpgs of all time, With a serious chance to aim for the top 5.

It still has some of the recurrent problems I see in other RPGS. Like making you do stupid useless brainless actions and time being at first glance at least mostly irrelevant.
    Fighting seems not repetitive so far which is extremely rare with rpgs now a days ,so that alone scores big with me.

Lack of instant deaths so far also huge bonus.

Lighting system sucks, is not clear and is just gimmicky and stupid, but I don't care.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Waterd Scholar

Waterd
    My fear is that on full release they rely on repetitive encounters., several RPG early on start with non repetitive encounters, then somewhere arond 1/3 of the game they seem to get bored or lazy and just throw mob after mob to you.

^ Top  
  16. jac8awol Learned

jac8awol
    So, is this good? I'm waiting for full release before I try it, but reading some of your guys' posts it seems like it may be a diamond in the rough. How's that lighting and verticality shit working out? Is it a revolutionary step we'll see more of in RPGs in future, or just gimmicks for marketing that fizzled out in reality?
    All I'm really interested in is a BG-like or something close to Kingmaker. Does it scratch that itch? Thanks.

^ Top  
  17. zapotec Learned

zapotec
    What's this verticality, i can jump on a table/rock and the enemies and i get a bonus to hit?

^ Top  
  18. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    IMO is extremely better than BG3 and is not that expensive. I recommend to try out. Is about US$35,00

The unique disappointment is that once I finally got fly and fireball, the EA ended less than a hour later

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    It's a gimmick but it's implemented sufficiently well enough to not solely be there for marketing purposes

^ Top  
  20. ekrolo2 Learned

ekrolo2
    How good is this game?

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    Holy fuck, scroll up and read the posts right above yours answering the exact same question.

• Yes x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lawntoilet Cipher

Lawntoilet
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Both of them are incorporated into combat pretty well.
    I hope we see more of it, it adds some interesting considerations to combat.
    It's not much like either of those in terms of gameplay, and the writing is definitely worse than BG or Kingmaker, but I still think if you liked those games you'll probably enjoy this.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.solasta-game.com/news/107-dev-update-24-community-feedback-sourcebook-update

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Doggy Doggy x 3
    • Kitty Kitty x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Good that they've returned to their senses and are posting cats again.

• Racist Racist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Look at its cute little face.

• Kitty Kitty x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.