Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Dev Diary - Dice System Preview

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Tactical Adventures

Solasta: Crown of the Magister is launching on Early Access this month, but Myzzrym from Tactical Adventures found the time to put together one final dev diary video. It's a brief introduction to the game's highly customizable dice roll system, which will allow players to choose whether dice rolls should be visible during dialogue, combat, exploration and so on. You'll even be able to customize the color of the dice, each d20 individually. Besides that, the video also offers a glimpse at some new content from the upcoming release.

Very prestigious.

• Brofist x 4
    • incline x 3
    • decline x 3
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Berry cool. :)

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    This is going to be so good. This is the new ToEE. Without the Homlett.
    :takemymoney:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dyspaire Augur

Dyspaire
    I like to think I'm not too terribly picky a gamer, but lord do I despise modern-looking, OS-inspired user interfaces in fantasy crpgs.

It breaks my... what's the word I'm looking for...

Just seems very lazy, and a missed chance at some artistic expression and flourish within your game.

2c

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tom Baker's Arse Learned

Tom Baker's Arse
    Most excellent. I am really looking forward to this title. The different coloured dice is such a nice touch.

• cuck cuck x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    It's something I constantly disliked in most Amplitude titles as well.
    An UI that tries to be "sleek" by looking like a toolset rather than being organic with the style of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Dyspaire Augur

Dyspaire
    You wouldn't think UI aesthetics would be so distracting. So much of Solasta looks so very promising, including the dice debuted here, very neat.

I keep hoping one of these update videos is going to show an art pass over the UI. It's currently quite a jarring aesthetic choice. To me at least.

I never realized that so many of the other recent offenders were made by the same company. Interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    Very cool, but that UI needs to go

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Yeah we are lucky to be blessed by such groundbreaking features. If this is worth a news post we live in sad times.

Prestigious games use hexes and not plebeian squares. Furthermore it has no art direction and the Dragon Age aesthetic really gives it a cheap look.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. gurugeorge Learned

gurugeorge
    I think there are two ways of looking at it: 1) if you have a UI that has the same functionality but a more "in-world" appearance (diegetic), that can add to immersion, but then 2) a modern looking UI sets the decisions you make at something of a distance from the game world, kind of like a meta or neutrality thing, which could be good or bad depending on the individual.

Normally I'm a big fan of immersive and diegetic UIs, but for some reason the sleek modern UI in this doesn't annoy me.

I do agree that the art design in the game is a bit bland and uninspired though. For some reason developers find it very hard to find the middle ground between mediaeval sim and that execrable gigantic spikey shoulderpads look. You want the thing to look largely mediaeval, but you also want a bit of flair and weirdness here and there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Gargaune Learned

Gargaune
    This is coming along nicely, but I'm a little confused, why isn't it called Baldur's Gate something? I thought D&D-based games were all called Baldur's Gate now.

Same boat, I like skeumorphics in my fantasy RPGs. The clash between the pseudo-medieval scene being depicted and the modern interface is jarring.

Why is everyone so taken with dice animations all of a sudden? A decent action log is much more useful and less intrusive, in my opinion. Is it a tabletop flavour thing? And if so, are beer stain overlays for your character sheet next? I mean, I'm not complaining, to each their own and these guys let you turn them off, but I don't understand the fascination.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Gsus, another solasta update! What's the running number? 88?

'tron, you seem to be as obsessed with this game as Kalin is with you. :shittydog:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. krist2 Augur Patron

krist2
    Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah. liked the demo, but the UI I don't like

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Sin2x Novice

Sin2x
    Adds too much visual clutter and detracts from what is actually going on. And their interface is still as bland and generic. Faggots.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Stormcrowfleet Arcane

Stormcrowfleet
    IDK if they'll change it, but a LOT of people told them. I remember I did the early beta and commented on it and I wasn't the only one. I REALLY hope they see the light and change it.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. gurugeorge Learned

gurugeorge
    Aren't they just expecting people to mod the UI to taste?

^ Top  
  18. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Looks like BG3.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. elverkongen Literate

elverkongen
    This is... actually an awesome idea. I would love to see this as an optional UI style, just a straight-up table-top look: beer stains, coffee stains, some character drawing doodles (like Exile/Avernum).

^ Top  
  20. Fenix Prophet Vatnik

Fenix
    As I said in some prvious Solasa updates - looks like cathgory of beauty completely evaporated form the society whey are living in. Or they are faggots, yeah.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.