Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Inner Strength DLC announced, releasing on November 14th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Solasta: Crown of the Magister - Inner Strength; Tactical Adventures

It wasn't clear whether there would be another DLC for Solasta: Crown of the Magister following the release of the Lost Valley expansion earlier this year. Once again however Tactical Adventures made their intentions obvious when they approached the community for Warlock, Bard and Monk subclass ideas back in June. The new Inner Strength DLC announced today will also include the Dragonborn race, three new backgrounds, and seventeen new martial-oriented feats. However, unlike last year's Primal Calling DLC, the new backgrounds will not be receiving their own sidequests in the original campaign.

Hey there folks!

Mark your calendars because we're here with a date for the
next DLC! With the Monk, Bard & Warlock joining the party, we've finally completed the full SRD class lineup in Solasta. To think we originally planned to release the game with only 4 - Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard - and now we're up to 12... All of this is only possible thanks to your support! But that's not all there is, the long awaited Dragonborns also make their appearance in this new DLC. Inner Strength, coming up November 14th - don't miss it!

Inner Strength DLC Content

This DLC unlocks three new Classes (for a total of 9 new subclasses, plus 3 additional ones if you own Lost Valley) and one new Ancestry.
  • The Warlock Class, with its 4 subclasses: The Fiend (SRD), The Hive (Solasta), The Timekeeper (Community), The Tree (Lost Valley)
  • The Bard Class, with its 4 subclasses: College of Lore (SRD), College of Hope (Solasta), College of Heroism (Community), College of Tradition (Lost Valley)
  • The Monk Class, with its 4 subclasses: Way of the Open Hand (SRD), Way of Survival (Solasta), Way of Light (Community), Way of Freedom (Lost Valley)
  • The Dragonborn Ancestry
Free Content Update For Everyone
  • Three new Backgrounds: The Ascetic, The Artist & The Occultist (note: these new backgrounds do not have a background quest in the Crown of the Magister campaign)
  • 17 new feats to give our martial classes some more love!
  • Gamepad support on PC is finally here <3
  • Boss monsters are coming to the Dungeon Maker. Use them at your own risk and peril!
As mentioned in the announcement, with the release of this DLC Solasta will finally feature the full set of core classes from 5E D&D. It's launching on November 14th.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This doesn't look like there's going to be any actual new areas to explore. There's just the new classes, ancestries, etc.

Somewhat disappointing, but it's hard to complain after Lost Valley, which is excellent.

Larianshill

Arbiter
What's the point of making new backgrounds, if they don't actually add anything to the game? Good shit otherwise.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Kinda shitty to put the Monk behind a paywall. :|
No one cares about monk
Monk has always been a mistake, even Gygax thought as much. It was to be replaced with some type of warrior-spy in Gygax's version of 2E.
With the monk subclass removed to Oriental Adventures, Gygax's concept for a new cleric subclass was the mystic subclass, which would have specialized in prediction, detection, and divination relative to the basic cleric class. The overall class structure would have been:
  1. Fighter
    • Ranger
    • Barbarian
  2. Cavalier
    • Paladin
  3. Magic-User
    • Illusionist
    • Savant
  4. Cleric
    • Druid
    • Mystic
  5. Thief
    • Thief-Acrobat
    • Assassin (optional or NPC-only)
  6. Bard
    • Jester

Codex Year of the Donut
Kinda shitty to put the Monk behind a paywall. :|
No one cares about monk
Monk has always been a mistake, even Gygax thought as much. It was to be replaced with some type of warrior-spy in Gygax's version of 2E.
With the monk subclass removed to Oriental Adventures, Gygax's concept for a new cleric subclass was the mystic subclass, which would have specialized in prediction, detection, and divination relative to the basic cleric class. The overall class structure would have been:
  1. Fighter
    • Ranger
    • Barbarian
  2. Cavalier
    • Paladin
  3. Magic-User
    • Illusionist
    • Savant
  4. Cleric
    • Druid
    • Mystic
  5. Thief
    • Thief-Acrobat
  6. Bard
    • Jester
image.png

Gyor

Savant
For PHB races (fuck Ancestries) they will have Dragonborn, Humans, Halflings (they added Island & Marsh Halflings for subraces), Elves (High & Sylvan), Dwarf (Snow & Mountain), Half Elves.

That leaves Tieflings, Gnomes (with subraces), Half Orcs.

Of course there is the possibility with 5.5e they will add Ardlings/Aasimar and full blooded Orcs to the SRD.

what sucks is you have all these classes and races and you still can only create 4 characters, so who really cares? They need to make their next game balanced around 6 characters, or having all these classes and shit is sort of pointless in a way, I am not replaying the game over and over again just to see how it plays with a ranger Vs. a warrior, or a mage vs a sorcerer

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
having all these classes and shit is sort of pointless in a way, I am not replaying the game over and over again just to see how it plays with a ranger Vs. a warrior, or a mage vs a sorcerer
I won't defend the 4-characters party, but there are 2 official campaigns, an entire third "official" module, and several good user-created modules. You can still experiment with different classes and combinations without replaying the same adventure over and over.

having all these classes and shit is sort of pointless in a way, I am not replaying the game over and over again just to see how it plays with a ranger Vs. a warrior, or a mage vs a sorcerer
I won't defend the 4-characters party, but there are 2 official campaigns, an entire third "official" module, and several good user-created modules. You can still experiment with different classes and combinations without replaying the same adventure over and over.
oh, I love solesta and both of the campaigns, and think its a great value and very good game and look forward to user made modules as well; I just hope that perhaps their next game might be balanced around a 6 character party and not 4, and that they might create a way for users to make 6 party campaigns (if this does not already exist, maybe it does). I realize the current campaigns are already done and were balanced around there being a 4 character party, so I don't expect them to go back and remake the entire previous games or something.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
  1. Fighter
    • Ranger
    • Barbarian
  2. Cavalier
    • Paladin
  3. Magic-User
    • Illusionist
    • Savant
  4. Cleric
    • Druid
    • Mystic
  5. Thief
    • Thief-Acrobat
  6. Bard
    • Jester
image.png
In November 1985, the month after Gygax had been ousted from TSR, an article by him on "The Future of the Game" appeared in Dragon Magazine #103. Gygax outlined the changes he wanted to make to the character classes, some of which referred to an earlier article "Character class to consider" in Dragon Magazine #65. Of course, the classes introduced in Unearthed Arcana would also have been included, so that the cavalier would appear as a main class (with paladin now a subclass of cavalier, rather than fighter), while barbarian would appear as a subclass of fighter. This was the last word that Gygax had on a prospective 2nd edition AD&D.

"Next? The Players Handbook and portions of Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures, in all probability. The information needed to be a player of the game should be contained between the covers of one book. We will do so! Monks as a PC type will certainly be moved to an oriental-themed campaign section. Assassins will be reduced to optional status, or used only as NPCs, as your DM decides is best for his or her campaign. Bards will be rewritten to allow a player to start a bard character as a bard, and the current system will be removed in toto.
Any brand-new classes? Sure. I hope to get the mystic completed as a second subclass of cleric, and likewise the savant to make a second sub-magic-user. Finally, the new bard class will have a sub-class, the jester."

From the earlier article:
"CLERIC — Mystic: This subclass of clerics is concerned more with prediction and detection than are other sorts of clerics. All mystics are of Good alignment, although they can be chaotic, neutral, or lawful within the Good alignment. As with other sorts of clerics, mystics would have seven levels of spells, but most would be of the sort to divine or detect. However, some new spells, and some very powerful upper-level spells, are planned.
MAGIC-USER — Savant: This sub-class of magic-user specializes in knowledge, understanding, and arcane subjects. Thus, as do mystics, savants possess a fair range of detection spells. Although they know many standard sorts of spells as well, savants have many new magics in the nine levels of spells possible for them to employ. Savants, can use spells common only to clerics and druids, and at higher levels savants can read and employ scrolls of all sorts. Because of the scholarly aspects of this proposed class, elven and half-elven savants are envisioned as being able to progress several levels higher than if they were normal magic-users; i.e., 14th or even 16th for elves, 10th or 12th for half-elves. Savants can be of any alignment.
JESTER — Rob Kuntz, in his currently unpublished module, The Tower of Zaeen, has included a jester. A recent DRAGON™ Magazine (issue #60) also included the jester as an NPC class. Because I have also considered the jester as an actual class for the game, I have not as yet read either description. Jesters, as I envision them, can be of human, gnome, or halfling race. (Elves could never permit themselves to be so debased; dwarves are far too serious and just plain humorless.) Alignment is as desired by the player. A jester would have a combination of verbal, magical, and acrobatic skills which allow the class to be viable even though there is no great power. Verbal skills would enable the character to influence many creatures toward kindliness, humor, forgetfulness, thoughtful consideration, irritation, anger, or even rage. Magical skills would have to do with jokes and tricks — sort of a directed wand of wonder with some magic-user spells and illusionist magic tossed in. Acrobatic skills would be mainly tumbling and juggling, with some magic tossed in there as well. Level titles are: Wag, Punster, Masquer, Harlequin, Clown, Juggler, Buffoon, Fool, Joker, Jester. Powerful at its upper levels. the class will be less than popular with fellow adventurers, I suspect, so that jesters will frequently have enemies and travel alone. . . ."

This article also mentioned a cavalier subclass, and an even earlier article had described a barbarian subclass, but both of these were made official (the cavalier now a main class) with Unearthed Arcana in 1985 along with the thief-acrobat.

Outmind

Augur
So PC gets controller support, like anyone who's ever played a cRPG had that high up on their priorities list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom