Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Primal Calling DLC announced, releasing on November 4th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Solasta: Crown of the Magister - Primal Calling; Tactical Adventures

Tactical Adventures have been fairly quiet since releasing the Sorcerer update for Solasta: Crown of the Magister back in July. However, they were forced to tip their hand about what they were working on when they asked the community to come up with subclass ideas for the Barbarian and Druid classes back in August. Today they formally revealed the Primal Calling DLC, coming November 4th. In addition to barbarians and druids, it will also add Half-Orcs to the game as well as a new Wanderer background. Even if you don't get the DLC, the accompanying patch will include plenty of good stuff. That includes an increased level cap, a more challenging final encounter, and most excitingly, an expanded dungeon maker with the ability to create full-fledged campaigns with towns and outdoor areas.

Primal Calling DLC available on November 4th

For those of you who've not been around Solasta for the last few weeks, here is what you can expect from the Primal Calling DLC:
  • The Barbarian Class, with its 3 subclasses: Path of the Berzerker (SRD), Path of the Magebane (Solasta), Path of Stone (Community)
  • The Druid Class, with its 3 subclasses: Circle of the Land (SRD), Circle of Kindred Spirit (Solasta), Circle of Winds (Community)
  • The Half-Orc Ancestry
  • The Wanderer Background, with its brand new background quest located in Copparan
What's this "Community" Tag you may ask? Well, both Druid & Barbarian were part of the Wishing Well Event where everyone could submit their own archetype that they'd like to see implemented in-game. We then sorted through all those wonderful ideas and created Community subclasses from them!

Free Content Update Incoming!

Adventuring hasn't been kind to you lately and you don't got no gold to buy them goods? Worry not, we've got you covered. With the Primal Calling DLC also comes a fat content update - and everyone gets it for free! Aside from the usual bug fixes, here are some of the large changes or additions you can look forward to:
  • You can finally skip the tutorial. Dry your tears of joy, serial rerollers, it's time to jump straight into the adventure.
  • Max level 10? How about max level 12, how does that sound? With them level 6 spells and all.
  • Our characters' faces may not be the prettiest around, but you'll now be able to add scars and face paints. Some more customization can't hurt!
  • Was the final encounter of the campaign a little too easy? We made it harder for you.
  • The Campaign Creator is here. What is the Campaign Creator? A new feature that allows you to bundle custom dungeons together, create custom monsters, items, NPCs and merchants. It's still in development though, so not every parameter can be tweaked yet.
  • The Dungeon Maker now has a Town Interior & Exterior environment! Custom campaigns can now have main hubs where your party can safely rest, trade, and chat with NPCs in-between dungeons!
Nice! Primal Calling already has a Steam page and I expect we'll learn more about its various features over the next couple of weeks.

Larianshill

Arbiter
  • Max level 10? How about max level 12, how does that sound? With them level 6 spells and all.
Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd

• The Campaign Creator is here. What is the Campaign Creator? A new feature that allows you to bundle custom dungeons together, create custom monsters, items, NPCs and merchants. It's still in development though, so not every parameter can be tweaked yet.
Oh my GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD

Polanski

Scholar
As much as I enjoyed the campaign, I feel like it would take a less streamlined approach and a lot more content, before I consider returning to Solasta.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This doesn't seem to actually add any content to the game. So if the community doesn't really take off and make some dungeons/modules worth playing I see no reason to buy this and replay the game with more classes, as the base module is not exactly stellar for the most part.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Depends on the pricing, but paid character creation option DLCs usually don't go along too well with players, since they really do feel like something that should've been there in the first place, especially when it's something as basic and well established like barbarian or druid...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Depends on the pricing, but paid character creation option DLCs usually don't go along too well with players, since they really do feel like something that should've been there in the first place, especially when it's something as basic and well established like barbarian or druid...
They did make it quite explicit that any extra classes would be dlc, if at all, so...

Mortmal

Arcane
This will tank, no one is going to buy the dlc to replay the base module. It's not fan made modules that will make me play , they are never worth something professional . They should have included this with the next campaign DLC.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
As Infinite Tron pointed out: Solasta Nexus

Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Mods: 136, Files: 827

I have to wait for gog release so I wonder if a package deal will pop up. The game is on sale on GOG atm.
jYtbOIp.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This will tank, no one is going to buy the dlc to replay the base module. It's not fan made modules that will make me play , they are never worth something professional . They should have included this with the next campaign DLC.
They are probably also working on another campaign (or chapter or whatever) at the same time. Adding a few classes was probably easier to do first than releasing a new complete module.
But it is true that there is little point in replaying the same campaign with different classes.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
If only I thought that way playing Diablo or just about every game you can create characters.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well I have not yet played this game and that seems to be a good choice as I will get more content when I do. I think I will keep waiting for a Definitive Enhanced Game of the year edition before I dive in. I got better games to play for next few months anyways.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Solasta is currently 40% off. Is it worth getting at that price?

Came here to say this.

I just picked up Solasta and the expansions for FOG 2: Medieval. I won't play Solasta any time soon, but you don't turn your nose up at 40% off for a 2021 crpg that appears to be decent.

jackofshadows

Magister
Solasta isn't "good", as in it isn't AAA quality, but it certainly is heads and tails above garbage like PoE.
Solasta is piss easy, feels cramped and ugly af. I liked PoE 2 much more. PoE 2 is fucking beatiful, challenging (not on release though) and char progression is far more interesting there at least due to multi-classing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So I got it. As a 5e sim, it's pretty legit, as long as you don't mind a level cap of 10 and lots of options being missing.

What I really appreciate is how the campaign tries to ape an actual tabletop session, and they went through a lot of trouble for those cutscenes that I don't really care for. Graphics and voice acting is... questionable.

All in all, probably the best video game adaptation of 5e I've played so far, but I haven't tried BG3 yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom