Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes, Solasta was a promising first game from a new developer, but there are a few obvious improvements that would enable the next game from Tactical Adventures to greatly surpass it:
  • Larger party size, at minimum 6 PCs versus the current 4, to boost diversity of party composition and increase replayability
  • Wilderness exploration, rather than merely selecting a destination on a map
  • Proper dungeons with non-linearity and puzzles, rather than a mostly linear sequence of fights
  • More logistics and other effects to improve exploration
  • Decent cosmetic aspects in the character creator (cf. Dragon's Dogma) with vastly improved faces
Their next game would probably benefit mechanically from dropping any connection to the current version of D&D, although I suppose this benefits them commercially in terms of sales, so if they do stick with D&D/AD&D they would be better served by using the actual Dragonlance setting rather than ripping off certain aspects with the rest of the game-world being either vague or a mess.

I'd add actual encounter design and difficulty to the top of this list
Also needs more sword and sorcery than run of the mill fantasy, but what doesn't?

At least you got your Barbarian, and they actually made implemented some good and fixed archetypes for it. Though CON save fix for Frenzy exhaustion is kind of half-assed (even if their implementation is still better than the 5E RAW one). They should have used my homebrew:

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/01bfBpVC1VN8i1eJJ_Z9fWlwQ#Path_of_the_Berserker_Errata

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At least you got your Barbarian, and they actually made implemented some good and fixed archetypes for it.
Yeah I'll not dispute that that.
I'll probably have more to say about the campaign once I get past soraks part deuxieme the second

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IF they plan to put tougher mobs, I rather see an increase of party size instead of another level cap raise... 5E doesn't work well in high levels.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Playing Solasta really confirmed my belief that +2 magic weapons suck, and you must go for flametongue and others like it, with that sweet 2d8 extra damage instead.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anyone know of a working Identify alternative to paying half your gold if you don’t want a shadow rogue, insight cleric or wizard?

The component in Community Expansion 2 breaks attunement and the author is not responding to bug reports on the subject.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Anyone know of a working Identify alternative to paying half your gold if you don’t want a shadow rogue, insight cleric or wizard?

The component in Community Expansion 2 breaks attunement and the author is not responding to bug reports on the subject.
There is a Wand of Identify if you can get or gift it to yourself somehow. 5 charges and 1 recharge at dawn. At least that is present in the DM portion.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is there a way to get it in Lost Valley?
the merchant at the beginning has it. I assume later merchants will sell it as well.
Genius! I wonder why no one on either Nexus or Discord bothered to suggest this lol. Kind of renders the lengthy debates that I could see people had on everything from the reddit to the solasta forum about class access to identify moot if you can just buy a wand. Seems like a decent solution

If indeed it's for sale. I've reached the main city of Lost Valley so I'll check when I get home

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Genius! I wonder why no one on either Nexus or Discord bothered to suggest this lol. Kind of renders the lengthy debates that I could see people had on everything from the reddit to the solasta forum about class access to identify moot if you can just buy a wand. Seems like a decent solution

If indeed it's for sale. I've reached the main city of Lost Valley so I'll check when I get home
whatever discussions there were, they were probably warranted. when I last played the game there was no wand anywhere and even if so, sorcerers for example couldn't even cast the spell , not even from scrolls for example.
I only bought the Lost Valley DLC yesterday and I've seen that identify wand on the vendor in the merchant camp at the very start of the game. I didn't buy it though because I have a wizard in my party.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kind of renders the lengthy debates that I could see people had on everything from the reddit to the solasta forum about class access to identify moot if you can just buy a wand.
The wand wasn't available from day 1, I think they added it to the main campaign with the Lost Valley patch. Those discussions probably took place before.

Personally, I didn't even notice it was available in the DLC campaign, since the Court Mage looked like the most bonkers subclass and I only played it once.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fantastic, many thanks people. Maybe Discord peeps just didn't know since they've been playing from release like me

I only bought the Lost Valley DLC yesterday and I've seen that identify wand on the vendor in the merchant camp at the very start of the game. I didn't buy it though because I have a wizard in my party.

I'm way past the starting camp but if there's one in the main city, we're golden.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Fantastic, many thanks people. Maybe Discord peeps just didn't know since they've been playing from release like me

I'm way past the starting camp but if there's one in the main city, we're golden.
The merchant at the scavenger outpost (second map) also had it for 550 gold, so I guess you can find it anywhere.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Is there a merchant with primed weapons in the Lost Valley DLC? I'm lvl 7 and got a bunch of recipes and crafting materials but no primed weapons except a short sword.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a merchant with primed weapons in the Lost Valley DLC? I'm lvl 7 and got a bunch of recipes and crafting materials but no primed weapons except a short sword.

The whole thing with primed items is strange.
It seems to be relaying on random drops too much.
In my run I had half a dozen of primed rapiers, but not a single longsword.
The merchants stock is surprisingly limited as well.
For example, there is only 1 primed warhamer on sale in the whole DLC, even though there are at least 3 enchanted recipes.
I see absolutely no reason for why some factions, Forge for example, can't sell numerous primed weapons of each kind.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Does the selection update at some point? The Forge merchants had a very limited selection when I checked them, there wasn't a single primed double-handed melee weapon.

Crichton

Prophet
Does the selection update at some point? The Forge merchants had a very limited selection when I checked them, there wasn't a single primed double-handed melee weapon.
I just loaded an old save (my current party is slogging through the final dungeon) and I had the two Forge merchants mixed up. The swamp guy only had a primed morningstar; the Verdant Valley guy had the following primed weapons:

-Dagger
-Shortsword
-Longsword
-Spear
-Warhammer
-Xbow
-Heavy Xbow
-Rapier
-Morningstar
-Longbow
-Scimitar
-Greatsword

So exactly one primed two-handed weapon and not much use if you want to make that fancy maul. I have found several primed mauls in both playthroughs buy that may just be Sod's law since all my people are sword and board.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom