Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Codex Year of the Donut
the main thing the solasta devs accomplished was actually releasing a finished game in a reasonable time period

by modern gamedev standards that's basically a miracle

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This will be the second and last time I shill my campaign here. Highly suggest at least Scavenger difficulty for anyone here. Most bugs are worked out. If you do all the optional stuff you will easily be level 12 by the end.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2856632741

https://mod.io/g/solasta/m/the-forsaken-isle
I'll play it as soon as the new DLC comes out on November 14th:

Inner Strength DLC Content
This DLC unlocks three new Classes (for a total of 9 new subclasses, plus 3 additional ones if you own Lost Valley) and one new Ancestry.

The Warlock Class, with its 4 subclasses: The Fiend (SRD), The Hive (Solasta), The Timekeeper (Community), The Tree (Lost Valley)
The Bard Class, with its 4 subclasses: College of Lore (SRD), College of Hope (Solasta), College of Heroism (Community), College of Tradition (Lost Valley)
The Monk Class, with its 4 subclasses: Way of the Open Hand (SRD), Way of Survival (Solasta), Way of Light (Community), Way of Freedom (Lost Valley)
The Dragonborn Ancestry

Free Content Update For Everyone
Three new Backgrounds: The Ascetic, The Artist & The Occultist (note: these new backgrounds do not have a background quest in the Crown of the Magister campaign)
17 new feats to give our martial classes some more love!
Gamepad support on PC is finally here <3
Boss monsters are coming to the Dungeon Maker. Use them at your own risk and peril!

I'm moderately excited for the Warlock, Bard, and 17 new feats, conservatively skeptic about the Monk, and unsecure how to feel about the dragonborn. On one hand, they're a disgrace; on the other, with everyone already looking pretty :hopw roewur ne:, what difference will it make?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This will be the second and last time I shill my campaign here. Highly suggest at least Scavenger difficulty for anyone here. Most bugs are worked out. If you do all the optional stuff you will easily be level 12 by the end.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2856632741

https://mod.io/g/solasta/m/the-forsaken-isle
I'll play it as soon as the new DLC comes out on November 14th:

Inner Strength DLC Content
This DLC unlocks three new Classes (for a total of 9 new subclasses, plus 3 additional ones if you own Lost Valley) and one new Ancestry.

The Warlock Class, with its 4 subclasses: The Fiend (SRD), The Hive (Solasta), The Timekeeper (Community), The Tree (Lost Valley)
The Bard Class, with its 4 subclasses: College of Lore (SRD), College of Hope (Solasta), College of Heroism (Community), College of Tradition (Lost Valley)
The Monk Class, with its 4 subclasses: Way of the Open Hand (SRD), Way of Survival (Solasta), Way of Light (Community), Way of Freedom (Lost Valley)
The Dragonborn Ancestry

Free Content Update For Everyone
Three new Backgrounds: The Ascetic, The Artist & The Occultist (note: these new backgrounds do not have a background quest in the Crown of the Magister campaign)
17 new feats to give our martial classes some more love!
Gamepad support on PC is finally here <3
Boss monsters are coming to the Dungeon Maker. Use them at your own risk and peril!

I'm moderately excited for the Warlock, Bard, and 17 new feats, conservatively skeptic about the Monk, and unsecure how to feel about the dragonborn. On one hand, they're a disgrace; on the other, with everyone already looking pretty :hopw roewur ne:, what difference will it make?

Warlocks would be hype if short rests were of any use in Solasta. As it is, MEH

Locking classes behind DLC is shortsighted. When they make a new big campaign, they will either add those classes for free, or the game will demand DLCs to enjoy it fully. Either choice will make people angry.

Artyoan

Arbiter
With all the new classes available, they really ought to think about upping the party size to six, for future adventures.

niggas can't even balance encounters for 4, how dey gonna cope with 6
If they allowed more than four party members for the dungeon maker, I could definitely balance it around that. You can set the stat characteristics of monsters and however many you want to spawn.

Crichton

Prophet
I shelled out for the Druid DLC and it's been kind of meh (see earlier post on all the problems for Druids). Warlocks, Bards and Monks are even less exciting. I'd cheerfully pay for another campaign though.

It's even any harder to give any fucks about 5e races. They add zero depth; it's all optimizing ability bonuses and avoiding those poor bastards without darkvision.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
With all the new classes available, they really ought to think about upping the party size to six, for future adventures.

niggas can't even balance encounters for 4, how dey gonna cope with 6
If they allowed more than four party members for the dungeon maker, I could definitely balance it around that. You can set the stat characteristics of monsters and however many you want to spawn.

Didn't know it was a hard restriction for custom campaigns. That sucks.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Can somebody explain why the smite prompts aren't annoying, but being asked if you want to use metamagic every goddamn time is?

Acrux

Arcane
Can somebody explain why the smite prompts aren't annoying,
Says who?

Didn't know it was a hard restriction for custom campaigns. That sucks.
The community expansion mod allows you to use more than 4 characters in custom campaigns. I've never tried that feature, so I don't know how well it works out, especially since it wouldn't change the number/type of enemies.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Can somebody explain why the smite prompts aren't annoying, but being asked if you want to use metamagic every goddamn time is?

Because metamagic is harder to decline. I myself pondered this question, and I'm confident it's the answer:

Smite appears in the middle of your screen where your mouse is already pointing, and you almost don't notice the interaction.

Meanwhile, I often just use the metamagic as fast as possible because moving to that god damn Ignore button is just a teenzy bit tedious.

It's not a big deal, still a great UI. But it is funny that such a little difference makes one thing no bother and the other thing a small annoyance.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are 5E Warlocks any good?

What about Monks?

5E Warlocks at their base can be good for Eldritch Blasting, but they need Hexblade to become real og stompers and multiclassing (for level 6 paladin/hexblade) to be ridicoulously OP.

Warlocks were also balanced for the rest mechanics, so in Solasta (especially the DLC) where you can long rest p. much as much as you want, you get less milage out of their "get everything back on short rest"-mechanic. They have a very limited spell selection but all their slots are of the highest level they can cast, and they get all of them back at short rest.

Monks are garbage, but Solasta devs have shown a willingness to experiment with subclasses, so maybe Monk gets one that makes them useful.

Parabalus

Arcane
Are 5E Warlocks any good?

What about Monks?

5E Warlocks at their base can be good for Eldritch Blasting, but they need Hexblade to become real og stompers and multiclassing (for level 6 paladin/hexblade) to be ridicoulously OP.

Warlocks were also balanced for the rest mechanics, so in Solasta (especially the DLC) where you can long rest p. much as much as you want, you get less milage out of their "get everything back on short rest"-mechanic. They have a very limited spell selection but all their slots are of the highest level they can cast, and they get all of them back at short rest.

Monks are garbage, but Solasta devs have shown a willingness to experiment with subclasses, so maybe Monk gets one that makes them useful.

Thanks for the insight, seems I'll like Warlocks.

Tbh I don't find it too rest spammy if you use each campfire once, that seems like the intended design.

FriendlyMerchant

Have they fixed the hp bloat and ugly female faces yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom