Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Only real weakness is its not challenging enough for a 5e veteran, there was some good encounters , a few new boss fights , but you start them all at full ressources. A 6/10 is far too harsh for this game, that's still the best D&D combat second only to KOTC2, head and shoulder above everything else released so far.

You can always rest? Are there limits on resting, as in final area of original campaign? I.e. are there areas where you are not allowed to rest or very limited to do so.
No limits at all.

Party of 4 wizards, here i go.

p.s. Are you sure, there are no "resting not allowed" zones?

Mortmal

Arcane
Only real weakness is its not challenging enough for a 5e veteran, there was some good encounters , a few new boss fights , but you start them all at full ressources. A 6/10 is far too harsh for this game, that's still the best D&D combat second only to KOTC2, head and shoulder above everything else released so far.

You can always rest? Are there limits on resting, as in final area of original campaign? I.e. are there areas where you are not allowed to rest or very limited to do so.
No limits at all.

Party of 4 wizards, here i go.

p.s. Are you sure, there are no "resting not allowed" zones?
Given i finished the game and answered it four times already , yes i am pretty sure.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What do you mean "no limits at all"? On short rests? You need to find a campfire to long rest, that's your limit.

Mortmal

Arcane
What do you mean "no limits at all"? On short rests? You need to find a campfire to long rest, that's your limit.

There's a campfire pretty much before every encounters, and if there's not, like 20 sec to walk back, you quick travel on the map back and forth.Use them as many time you want.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

I finished first Solasta (Crown of Magister). You could always rest there because you could return for campfire. But in last part there was plot twist that time is running out and there are no campfires. So i asked if there are areas that are blocked (you cant leave them) and have no campfires.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

There's a campfire pretty much before every encounters, and if there's not, like 20 sec to walk back, you quick travel on the map back and forth.Use them as many time you want.

Thanks.

Game looks harder than original game, already reloaded on guerilla fight (each hitting for 10-12 with rock when your mage has 15 hp).

plem

Learned
the limit is you can only rest once a day, but you can always just wait several hours to do so. I did have to fight while drained a few times in random encounters in the world map, but during dungeon crawling you can pretty much always just exit the area to rest after each encounter. I try not to do that though in order to have some semblance of challenge, same reason why I used standard array instead of bumping all attributes to 20 in chargen.

overall it is a bit more challenging than the OC, but still pretty easy if you're used to something like KoTC2. which is a shame because this engine has incredible potential for tactical depth. unlike pretty much every other CRPG, movement, lighting, line of sight and cover actually matter, and 5e's concentration mechanic stop buff stacking meaning you actually have to consider which one spell is the best in each stituation. stealth mechanics really stand out, this is the only CRPG I've ever played where rogues have a distinct playstyle and strategy due to mid-combat stealth combined with the actual 3D physical space of the battlemap being simulated. I'm always ducking out of crevices to fire a shot and stealthing back in, or using cunning action to move out of the enemy's field of view, or even climing up or down to break line of sight vertically. games like ToEE and KoTC, due to having static maps, don't allow for that kind of tactical minutiae and the result is they're 99% strategy and 1% tactics, while Solasta feels more like 50/50.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
concentration mechanic stop buff stacking meaning you actually have to consider which one spell is the best in each stituation

Concentration mechanic + the math simplification ruined lots of good defensive spells like stoneskin and created the necessity to remove lots and lots of powerful abilities from monsters, if not nerfing this abilities. Look how intellect devourers are in 2E CRPG adaptations like Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager, in 3E adaptations like NWN1 and compare to BG3. In TT, players no longer are expected to gather information and prepare, if you are invading a crypt of undead, better to have negative plane protection and other similar stuff. Gathering information before adventuring was a huge part in 2E/3E. Nobody does that in 5E.

Mortmal

Arcane

Thanks.

Game looks harder than original game, already reloaded on guerilla fight (each hitting for 10-12 with rock when your mage has 15 hp).

Thats what happen when you make single encounters. At low level they are a lot more deadlier, you are much more vulnerable to crits , and the action economy is in the foe favor as they are so numerous. But the more your progress the easier it gets, to become completely trivial very fast.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
and the action economy is in the foe favor as they are so numerous. But the more your progress the easier it gets, to become completely trivial very fast.

When I talk about hp bloat in 5E, that is what I'm talking about. The game is now low lethality at lv 1, but is certainly at lv 15+.

plem

Learned
concentration mechanic stop buff stacking meaning you actually have to consider which one spell is the best in each stituation

Concentration mechanic + the math simplification ruined lots of good defensive spells like stoneskin and created the necessity to remove lots and lots of powerful abilities from monsters, if not nerfing this abilities. Look how intellect devourers are in 2E CRPG adaptations like Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager, in 3E adaptations like NWN1 and compare to BG3. In TT, players no longer are expected to gather information and prepare, if you are invading a crypt of undead, better to have negative plane protection and other similar stuff. Gathering information before adventuring was a huge part in 2E/3E. Nobody does that in 5E.

that might work well in tabletop but not in CRPGs. take the Pathfinder games (which is basically 3.5 with more classes), where every dungeon crawl is preceeded by a minute of buff stacking. you don't really have to gather information, as you can just have Death Ward and Protection from all energy types and Protection from all aligments and every other spell you can think of at the same time to the point where it doesn't matter what you'll face, it'll be covered by one of your 50 buffs.

I'll also note that preparation is part of the strategic layer of gameplay, not the tactical. I'll never deny that 5e is strategically more simplistic and I'm not even necessarily saying it's tactically deeper as a whole, but the concentration mechanic does add an interesting tactical choice whereas previously it was just one of resource management ("how many spell slots do I want to blow on this fight?").

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
ou don't really have to gather information, as you can just have Death Ward and Protection from all energy types and Protection from all aligments and every other spell you can think of at the same time to the point where it doesn't matter what you'll face, it'll be covered by one of your 50 buffs.

Agreed. But the problem is the retarded enemy AI.

If I'm the DM and players have 666 buffs on then, I just cast dispel magic on then.

plem

Learned
ou don't really have to gather information, as you can just have Death Ward and Protection from all energy types and Protection from all aligments and every other spell you can think of at the same time to the point where it doesn't matter what you'll face, it'll be covered by one of your 50 buffs.

Agreed. But the problem is the retarded enemy AI.

If I'm the DM and players have 666 buffs on then, I just cast dispel magic on then.

yea that's what KoTC2 does (the AI in that is incredible) as well as prohibit out of combat casting

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
as well as prohibit out of combat casting

Not with all spells. You can still cast stoneskin and other spells out of combat. But yes, in the first game you can't cast protection vs fire before fighting a red dragon, but can craft a ring of resist fire and eqquip it.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Fucking 5th edition, I can't believe my cleric needs his hand to cast a spell. Do Gods only understand sign language ? Cant you have your holy symbol on your weapon ?

Well, appart from this I like it, never used it in pen&paper, but it has a simplicity that reminds me of AD&D.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fucking 5th edition, I can't believe my cleric needs his hand to cast a spell. Do Gods only understand sign language ? Cant you have your holy symbol on your weapon ?

Well, appart from this I like it, never used it in pen&paper, but it has a simplicity that reminds me of AD&D.

The Battle domain gives ability to cast with a shield or a weapon in off-hand. Maybe there's a feat that gives the same benefit, but I've never had the need to look it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom