Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
vancians casters considerably superior

Only a small nitpick. Wizards in D&D 5E works like PF1e Arcanists ie - prepare spells like an prepared caster but cast as an spontaneous caster. But otherwise, you are right. Ideally in hardest difficulties, you should only be able to use a "camping spot" once, like KoTC2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/12...-lost-valley-dlc-reviews-and-impressions.html

Turn Based Lovers 6/10:

I can’t recommend Solasta: Lost Valley to everyone. Still, there may be a fair number of Solasta fans who’ll like what it offers. Whether you are replaying the main story or enjoying some custom levels, having access to the additional subclasses will add some interesting variety to the characters. The campaign, however, is mostly for those who’d like more Solasta content, even if it’s not quite as strong as in the original.

TechRaptor 5/10:

Lost Valley brings with it a new campaign, subclass options, and enhancements to the Dungeon Maker system. While there's a lot of content within the campaign, the fetch quest style progression didn't offer much in terms of a grand adventure, instead leaving players feeling like they're completing a list of chores.

IGN Italy 7/10 [Google Translated]:

Lost Valley gave the developers of Tactical Adventures the opportunity to experiment with some new ideas and game mechanics, in some cases with interesting results and in others by bringing out some problems, especially on the mission front, which would have deserved greater attention. . There is still a lot to appreciate in the DLC, in quantitative terms thanks to the over 20 hours of new content but not only, and the new adventure can still offer the rather interesting exploration and above all the excellent tactical fights that have characterized the role-playing game. of 2021.

Fextralife Impressions:

Since some of the quest lines are shorter, you’ll be spending less time in specific areas. Not only does it increase the pace of Solasta but it also allows you to visit a multitude of new and refreshing environments. You’ll also be interacting with the environment frequently. For instance, you’ll have to hit the trunk of a leafless tree with a ranged spell to topple it over. This will then be used by the party to cross rivers. There are a lot of these types of puzzles that show how far the developers have come to create a far more authentic experience overall.

With these surroundings come new creatures to face. They range from Giants whom you have to communicate with to Trolls who will attempt to impede your progress. There’s no shortage of monsters to take down, however, the question is, do you have what it takes to slaughter them all?

PCGamesN Impressions:

If you’ve been waiting to drop into Solasta, then now is the perfect time to make the jump. Multiplayer makes the prospect of tackling the tricky main campaign a lot less intimidating, and getting groups together to play around in community created adventures is a great game night activity. For those already invested and looking for more, the open-ended structure of the Lost Valley campaign lets you plumb the depths of your spellbook to find solutions that feel truly unique, imbuing the dungeon crawling experience of the main game with the creativity encouraged by its tabletop inspiration.

For instance, you’ll have to hit the trunk of a leafless tree with a ranged spell to topple it over. This will then be used by the party to cross rivers. There are a lot of these types of puzzles that show how far the developers have come to create a far more authentic experience over

:nocountryforshitposters:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'd be more impressed if you could do that with ANY tree. At least they didn't use Underworld Ascendant's major puzzle solutions:
yMBKT9t.jpg

rCUTHBb.jpg

PaDyahp.jpg

n6lIdxZ.jpg

9yfe8f0.jpg

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
In difficulty, if KoTC2 - Augury of Chaos in max difficulty is 10 and this game OC is 3, how hard would you rate the DLC?
I would rate difficulty to 4 it's a little bit harder sometime.
Is the difficulty similar to that of the first act of the OC? I really liked the early tactical challenge, but later on, it became way too easy indeed.
It's mostly the same at the beginning , later bare a few surprises, no challenge.

So like Crown of the Magister, than.
It is challenging at start, but later becomes easier and easier. Common thing in most crpgs.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice to have a game that springs an ambush on my dudes while they are sleeping. And knocks most of them down while they're down.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Nice to have a game that springs an ambush on my dudes while they are sleeping. And knocks most of them down while they're down.

I like it too (unironically). I'm level 5 and the deadliest combat in my playthrough has been a random encounter.
Now I have no ranger in the group, but I imagine having one would diminished the chances to be ambushed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I like it too (unironically). I'm level 5 and the deadliest combat in my playthrough has been a random encounter.
Now I have no ranger in the group, but I imagine having one would diminished the chances to be ambushed.
Think the non sleeping races can't get jumped during rest either.

Angriph

Novice
Fucking 5th edition, I can't believe my cleric needs his hand to cast a spell. Do Gods only understand sign language ? Cant you have your holy symbol on your weapon ?

Well, appart from this I like it, never used it in pen&paper, but it has a simplicity that reminds me of AD&D.

The Battle domain gives ability to cast with a shield or a weapon in off-hand. Maybe there's a feat that gives the same benefit, but I've never had the need to look it up.

I had already chosen the "Life" path. For now, I made a freehand&shield set for casting, and another with mace&shield, changing of weapon set counts for a free action once per round so it's ok. But it seems you can still cast while holding a 2h weapon so I might opt for that later.

What is stupid is that you can't keep the same shield when switching weapon sets. This is really silly. I remember PoE had the same problem. They adressed this in PoE2 though.

If you are a cleric or a pally with shield there is an option if you right click on your shield to attach the holy symbol to it. Then you can cast spells as if you had your off hand free.

Dual weapon wielding rangers still have this problem though.

plem

Learned
I'm level 5 and the deadliest combat in my playthrough has been a random encounter.

the random encounters are comically more difficult than the rest of the game. literal dragons are attacking my camp while they're still sending gorillas at me in the main quest.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I'm level 5 and the deadliest combat in my playthrough has been a random encounter.

the random encounters are comically more difficult than the rest of the game. literal dragons are attacking my camp while they're still sending gorillas at me in the main quest.
So the best way to make campaigns is to let random encounters do the work.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For instance, you’ll have to hit the trunk of a leafless tree with a ranged spell to topple it over. This will then be used by the party to cross rivers. There are a lot of these types of puzzles that show how far the developers have come to create a far more authentic experience over

isn't hitting the trunk of a tree with something to cross a river also specifically in the core game lol?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

isn't hitting the trunk of a tree with something to cross a river also specifically in the core game lol?
No that's Star wars: Jedi Academy

It is, you also have even more eXtreme puzzles for true intellectuals, like removing rubble blocking a small hole, so you can crawl through, or pushing big boulders to make a path. After completing each puzzle I was looking with a bewilderment on clever solutions you haven't seen until the very end, which made puzzles that at first looked like impossible to solve, seem simple and intuitive.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Level 5 here, playing the bqse game, I don't seem to find many magic weapons&armors. Not a problem, I appreciate this scarcity. But does it mean crafting is the way ? (usually not my thing)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Level 5 here, playing the bqse game, I don't seem to find many magic weapons&armors. Not a problem, I appreciate this scarcity. But does it mean crafting is the way ? (usually not my thing)

All the crafting recipes in the game are available for sale at the Legacy Council camp that pops up at the site where you find the Crown. So you can plan ahead for when you find the ingredients you need.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Magical weapons are way rarer in this game than in NWN2 for eg where literally a random guy that you kill after the tutorial drops a +1 weapon...

Mortmal

Arcane
You should try the Temple of Evil mod for this, its whats i expect from a dungeon crawl, much less rest points , much less rations too. Encounters are easier as expected but numerous, and do not step in the sacrificial pit at once like in the original adventure.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should try the Temple of Evil mod for this, its whats i expect from a dungeon crawl, much less rest points , much less rations too. Encounters are easier as expected but numerous, and do not step in the sacrificial pit at once like in the original adventure.
And if you like, the six character party mod works with that, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom