Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Sacibengala

Prophet
You should try the Temple of Evil mod for this, its whats i expect from a dungeon crawl, much less rest points , much less rations too. Encounters are easier as expected but numerous, and do not step in the sacrificial pit at once like in the original adventure.
And if you like, the six character party mod works with that, too.
won't be too easy, though? or they rebalance the number of enemies per encounter?

Mortmal

Arcane
You should try the Temple of Evil mod for this, its whats i expect from a dungeon crawl, much less rest points , much less rations too. Encounters are easier as expected but numerous, and do not step in the sacrificial pit at once like in the original adventure.
And if you like, the six character party mod works with that, too.
won't be too easy, though? or they rebalance the number of enemies per encounter?
It will become too easy .

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
So when they write that Tirmar & Solasta are realms, do they mean "realms" like in the Forgotten realms or are they located on different planets or planes ?

Parabalus

Arcane
You can get a permanent lvl 9 Wizard NPC from the quest which starts by examining the ruins in the swamp, just don't progress the quest.

The extra blasting power makes killing the redeemers very easy too, they give 10k XP.

Codex Year of the Donut
now that it's patched I decided to play it again(last played it in EA)

The quest board quests are incredibly lame. "go back to area you cleared, click fast travel, fight thing, return". Might as well just be radiant quests.
For lack of a better word to describe it, the game -- combat -- flows well.
The spell effects are nice.
Having to hold down space for a small speed boost is terrible. No other way to speed up combat? Do devs play their own games?
Itemization is poo. Items that sound like they should be powerful like "Medusa's longbow" or something are just a longbow except it does 1d8 poison damage. That's basically all the magic/crafted items I've seen so far. Very boring.
I don't understand the point of factions(beyond selling me stuff) and half of them seem too similar to the other half.
SORAKS?!
I suspect this is a 5e issue, but stealth/sneak attack is easy to abuse on my rogue with a bow. OTOH, his damage would probably be too low without it.
Enemy AI is pretty good tho. I have no complaints here. Undead enemies will run out of my sunlight spell, mages will counterspell important spells, enemies generally make good use of the vertical terrain, etc.,
I hate when I'm sneaking into an area or have my barbarian entering by himself while the rest stay behind him a bit and a cutscene starts which puts my entire party right in the middle of a fight. Terrible design.
The voiceovers are terrible. 2/3 of the "female" VOs are awful. Why is there no french accented female voiceover in a game from a french studio?
Not enough classes, archetypes, or feats. They should have went wild here, there's tons of OGL-published content to steal borrow.
Performance seems kinda bad. Oh right, Unity game. At least the loading screens are quick, I guess.
I like the UI, I know it got a lot of hate but I think it's very clean and easy to use/understand.
Difficulty is pretty low, even on the hardest difficulty. In a game that is essentially entirely about combat, this is one of the biggest negatives on this list.
Rations are too easy to come by, too light, and the rations spell creates too many. Complained about it in the EA, nothing changed. Might as well remove rations because they have no functional impact on the game as they currently are.
Long rest areas essentially have unlimited uses combined with the above. No chance for ambush no matter how dangerous the area, it seems.
Putting core classes behind paid DLC feels greedy.
Darksight is way too good, little reason to play as a human at all and this just adds onto it.
Party banter reminds me of wiz8
Enemies aren't deadly enough. Throwing vampires at me at level 4 and them barely tickling me would make Gygax spin in his grave.
Lots of fast travel points on maps is a very nice QoL feature.

Unrelated to the game itself, but it seems 5E is just too simple to make a good cRPG based on it without heavy houseruling. Most of the things that have been removed/streamlined for tabletop play are what adapted well to cRPGs.

3/5, much room for improvement.

Parabalus

Arcane
I suspect this is a 5e issue, but stealth/sneak attack is easy to abuse on my rogue with a bow. OTOH, his damage would probably be too low without it.

Sadly rogues are trash even with SA "abuse".

Trash as in any other martial class with lowlife background does it better.

Radech

Augur
now that it's patched I decided to play it again(last played it in EA)

Darksight is way too good, little reason to play as a human at all and this just adds onto it.

Unrelated to the game itself, but it seems 5E is just too simple to make a good cRPG based on it without heavy houseruling. Most of the things that have been removed/streamlined for tabletop play are what adapted well to cRPGs.

Just got to lvl 4 in the ToEE module didn't take a single feat :( very wierd switching between this and KotC2. My pala needs cleave so bad.

Rogue stealth seems OP but then you remember that both crit and sneak attack was gutted in 5e, so it may just be fine, and it fits the rogue with a single, precise, high damage attack pr. round.

Humies are great when running with standard array chars, haven't bought orcs so only way to start with 16 str. I really like the lighting system, but with 2 elf casters, a humie rogue with a darkvision ring and a big blind paladin, the lighting is really just so I can see shit.

Also apparantly my pala is CN and just fine with crafting poison bolts, man how things have changed...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Humies are great when running with standard array chars, haven't bought orcs so only way to start with 16 str. I really like the lighting system, but with 2 elf casters, a humie rogue with a darkvision ring and a big blind paladin, the lighting is really just so I can see shit.
Half-elves can start with 16 STR with a standard array, and they get +2 CHA and Darkvision on top. Humans really got the short end of the stick in this game.

Radech

Augur
Half-elves can start with 16 STR with a standard array, and they get +2 CHA and Darkvision on top. Humans really got the short end of the stick in this game.

Ah right, didn't go with a sorc, so didn't bother with HE's but yeah it would be strictly better for my pala (16,9,15,11,13,14)->(16,8,14,10,12,16)+darkvision and sleep immunity.

God dammit why do I have to nerf myself so bad, just to have a little fun with torches :( I miss low-light vision...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just don't see any point in any wiz specialization except shock arcanist I mean, 8d6 damage at lv 3 with scorching ray sadly at lv 12, while enemies has dozens of times more hp, you can only deal a similar damage . Anyway, one thing that I wanna see in Solasta is more environmental stuff. Imagine fighting in a strong wind area, fighting in a waterfall area and so on.

Codex Year of the Donut
I just don't see any point in any wiz specialization except shock arcanist I mean, 8d6 damage at lv 3 with scorching ray sadly at lv 12, while enemies has dozens of times more hp, you can only deal a similar damage . Anyway, one thing that I wanna see in Solasta is more environmental stuff. Imagine fighting in a strong wind area, fighting in a waterfall area and so on.
I just picked whatever seemed thematically the coolest, I didn't try to min/max in the least. I believe my wizard is a Loremaster because I wanted to make a bookish type, picked a similar background.

Radech

Augur
I really like the new Court Mage, comboed with the background that gives medium armor proficiency, it's basically an arcane cleric. It's just sad wizards can't use cantrips during aoo's. Also having medium armor, but no light armor prof is chipping away at my sanity...
Pairs up well with a 2hand fighter, glad I picked both dazzle and shocking grasp.

Loremasters advantage on history checks seems great for a smooth game though, would probably be my pick for a backline wizard, but I like (seeing) gishes (die). Loremaster+thief combo was my dream until I saw thiefs couldn't use scrolls, the best familiar is usually a rogue...

Parabalus

Arcane
Are the epilogues bugged?

Seemingly no difference whether I went through the final dungeon or just killed the bugs and left.

plem

Learned
Rations are too easy to come by, too light, and the rations spell creates too many. Complained about it in the EA, nothing changed. Might as well remove rations because they have no functional impact on the game as they currently are.

if you have a Druid or Ranger then the Goodberry spell makes rations completely obsolete.

I just don't see any point in any wiz specialization except shock arcanist

Green Mage's entangling arrow is quite good, and having access to Druid spells is a game changer. shield proficiency from Court Mage would be amazing if it weren't for the fact you can get it from a feat.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Some of those dungeon maps are amazing. I don't remember seeing anything like that in another isometric RPG. It looks epic & it's fun to explore. I'm not a fan of puzzles, but this is the kind of environment where they could shine.
The story & writing in general don't raise to that level though. I don't mind its bareness but it's strangely reparted over the campaign. Dialogues & voices aren't really convincing either.
Although it stops being a problem when you meet the orcs. Then this bareness becomes conveniently immersive & appropriate.
. I would have been fine with just plain text.
It's mostly the dungeons and the combats that keeps me playing. Difficulty is decreasing too much over time though, as ususal.

DemonKing

Arcane
Not enough classes, archetypes, or feats. They should have went wild here, there's tons of OGL-published content to steal borrow.

Well going wild and you get Pathfinder where even veteran players are going to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of options.

If they hadn't paywalled some of the race/class options that would have helped.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/3503104

Quick Fullfilment Update

Hey there folks!

Quick update today to give you a little more visibility on the shipping status.
  • UK: Customs has been giving us a hell of a time, we're still trying to get the goods to the UK warehouse to start shipping. But worry not we have not forgotten about you good folks, we'll keep updating you as soon as we get more news!
  • US & Rest of the World: Shipping have started! You should have received a mail from Quartermaster Logistics :)
  • EU: As stated before, you should have received the goods already! If not, please contact us.
Also unrelated: We're releasing a patch soon, so if you were running into issues hopefully they should be fixed with this new upcoming update!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom