Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
For your convenience: this is like the only crpg where I ever used detect magic because it makes all magical stuff shine with a blue hue in your inventory. Really nifty and immersive feature. Also usefull because some stuff doesn't register as magical on first look, like some oddly named robes and rings. Should you play the DLC this will come in handy.

jackofshadows

Magister
Unless you're playing on the highest difficulty or even more tuned up it's whatever. Additionaly, isn't the best gear comes mostly from vendors/crafting anyway?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
don't you get more cash for selling an identified magic item? this way you can make some of the powerspike purchases like the strength belts sooner

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I gave the DLC campaign a serious try for the first time and I can say that, despite the simplicity and straightforwardness imposed by 5E, the game now has enough classes and archetypes to allow a bit of creativity in building your party. My current party is: fighter (commander), ranger (swift blade), wizard (court mage), and sorcerer (haunted soul), and I have been positively impressed by the amount of interesting interactions that can come up between these classes.

For example, the Commander archetype works well with the Haunted Soul, since the free spammable advantage given by Rousing Shout allows the Sorcerer to reliably hit his Twinned Inflict Wounds. Inflict Wounds deals massive damage, but I usually avoid it due to its unreliability: this combination greatly improves its effectiveness, allowing you to deal 20-30 damage to 2 targets at level 3.

However, using Inflict Wounds puts the Sorcerer in a dangerous position in melee range... which isn't really a problem thanks to the Court Mage's Spell Shield and Protection fighting style. Spell Shield might be a bit broken, though... between this and the Shock Arcanist it's clear someone at Tactical Adventures really likes Wizards (is it you, Myzzrym?). Anyway, Spell Shield also offsets the biggest flaw of this party composition (the lack of Healing Word).

But my favorite interaction so far has been that between the Sorcerer's Twinned Haste and two melee fighters that heavily benefit from having more attacks. At level 5, giving Haste both to a fighter with a greatsword and a ranger with Hunter's Mark is bonkers. With Action Surge and Follow Up Strike, the Fighter can spam 6 attacks in a round, while the Ranger fighting with two weapons 4, which is great for Hunter's Mark and becomes absurd at level 7 with Battle Focus.

tl;dr: the game is still simple and straightforward, but the new classes and subclasses add a lot. The upcoming updates can only make things even better with bards, warlocks, and (sigh) monks.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Absolutely. I don't replay games often (the only "recent" ones I played more than once are Kingmaker, Sekiro, Knights of the Chalice 2, Nioh 2, Elden Ring, and Solasta), so it says a lot that I played a game with a 25-30 hours campaign this much:

Untitled.png

It's obviously very flawed, but the combat is so smooth I can't stop playing it. The (very few) challenging fights (like the witch in the DLC) feel like 10/10 to me.

vibehunter

Learned
Me: "yeah, I'm worth something. I'm not just a worthless grain of sand in this infinite universe"

Steam when I unlock an achievement:

Untitled.png

Please have yourself checked for Prosopagnosia.
Don't know what you're talking about. All I know is I'm in love with my Solasta waifu:

Untitled.png

What a cutie.

Not too bad considering the character models in this game are so hideous.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Standard array, that's how 5E characters are supposed to be created.

The standard point buy can be fine, even if it spawns slightly stronger characters. Rolling is acceptable only if you roll once and stick to the result even if it sucks. Rolling multiple times until you get perfect stats inevitably breaks an already too-easy game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/159-solasta-is-now-available-on-xbox-one-xbox-series

SOLASTA IS NOW AVAILABLE ON XBOX ONE & XBOX SERIES X/S​

Hey there folks!

Just dropping a quick news today to announce that Solasta: Crown of the Magister and its DLCs are now playable on Xbox One & Xbox Series X/S! Read below for more details.

F.A.Q.

How does Game Pass / Microsoft Store work between PC & Xbox?

Purchasing Solasta: Crown of the Magister and any DLC on the Microsoft Store makes them both available on PC and Xbox! The base game is also available via Game Pass on both PC & Xbox.

Are the DLCs available on Xbox?

Yes, all the DLCs can be purchased on Xbox.

Are the save files shared between PC Game Pass and Xbox Game Pass?

Yes, you can continue your PC playthrough on Xbox and vice versa

Is there Multiplayer Crossplay between PC & Xbox? What about Crossplatform between different Xbox consoles?

Yes, you can play multiplayer with Xbox (Xbox One to Xbox Series X/S) & PC players (Microsoft Store, Steam, GoG) & Mac players (Steam) in the same session!

Is the Dungeon Maker available on Xbox?

While you can download Dungeon Maker maps & campaigns from https://solasta.mod.io/ and play them on Xbox, you can't create custom content directly via the Dungeon Maker on Xbox. The Dungeon Maker was deemed too complex to adapt to pad control, so creating custom maps & campaigns is limited to the PC version for now.

Can I use the pad on PC now?

Not yet! There are many additional requirements before we can submit a pad-compatible version on PC, so it's not as simple as it may seem.

Where can I get the Game / DLCs?

You can get it on the Xbox store here!

Article by Tactical Myzzrym

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The "xbox patch" broke the game on PC! The UI is fucked up to the point where you can't even create new characters. So far TA hasn't acknowledged the issue, probably busy drinking xbox champagne.

Myzzrym hotfix when?

Daidre

Arcane
And I was wondering why the fuck this game downloaded 8 GB patch without any patch notes but under the big announcement for xbox release.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The "xbox patch" broke the game on PC! The UI is fucked up to the point where you can't even create new characters. So far TA hasn't acknowledged the issue, probably busy drinking xbox champagne.

Myzzrym hotfix when?
I've been playing it and haven't had any trouble... then again I haven't tried creating new characters since then since I've been mid campaign. Maybe I'll check it out. Are you referring to the size of everything or something else?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Ok, it seems somehow my game managed to broke itself in the middle of walkthrough and I can't play my saves. I guess I will wait for new classes.
I don't think it has anything to do with xbox patch since it's GOG version of the game.

Anyway, everything was working smoothly until wizard place (room with golems accessed through rebel quest) and my walkthrough of Lost Valley was completely ruined.
Now, I used community expansion 2 for this walkthrough and even though sometimes game showed some instability errors - everything worked fine and I managed to finish a main campaign beforehand completely fine.
However, in room with golems I discovered that panel with spells not shows up after one use.
I mean like this:
Click on button "cast spell" and cast spell -> on next turn or outside of combat panel does not show up.
Later, after several experiments, I have discovered that interface does show up, but invisible and I should hover invisible spell icons to see description of spell and then click.
This pissed me off and I decided to try reinstalling mod or a game to fix this, it didn't helped though (reloading save before room does not help too). After that a patch released for mod, but I was unable to play my save from previous version and custom chars became "corrupted" (can't inspect them from char menu). Another patch for mod has arrived, but I cannot even get access to menu after updating and restarting game.
It's probably issue with mod, but I am too frustrated right now to try start new playthrough without the mod. So Spectacle if you have community expansion mod, try to play without it.

Crichton

Prophet
3437CEEE0CBF1704E176A1914688B404D92A5AB3

A1C17ABC3FF3660BE56D5DFE5501DB7120FE4121

I picked up the Lost Valley and Druid/Barbarian/HOrc DLCs during the sale and tried the new campaign with another party of dwarves,

Hill Dwarf Druid Acoylte (Spirit Circle) w/ pet spider
Hill Dwarf Sellsword Wizard (Court Mage)
Hill Dwarf Lawgiver Cleric (Sun)
Hill Dwarf Lowlife Cleric (battle)

The DLC campaign is much less linear than the first one, which I liked; but there were a couple issues related to that. I seemingly locked myself out of a bunch of quests for three different factions by doing quests in the "wrong" order which there really isn't any way to determine a priori. The relatively limited scope (escape the valley! rather than save the world from the extradimensional lizardfolk!) was nice and most of the writing was passable. The item availability was totally random which was frustrating since I couldn't craft anything out of the masses of components I had. I eventually crafted

1) the item which speeds up crafting :)troll:)
2) +1 Hide armor of Jive-talkin'

Meanwhile I had recipes for all sorts of things I couldn't make (+2 Battle Axe, +1 Scale Mail, Spear of Necrotic Doom, etc..)

There were many useful items in my run, but it seems to be pot luck. I found two sets of dwarven plate early on and took the heavy armor feat at level 8 for my two clerics to make use of them. I eventually found a strength belt and some gauntlets of ogre power so each cleric could have one and a couple decent weapons, but this was pretty much at the end of the game (level 9 for me without those quests...). All and all, I'd give the DLC campaign one thumb up; it's entertaining but I wish they'd put a bit more effort into it rather than even more classes/subclasses.

Now as for the "Primal Calling" DLC, my dwarven druid has a long list of grudges;

1) The spirit animals are garbage; they have no AC, no ranged attack and you get stunned when they inevitably die. The spider also does only poison damage, which many enemies are immune to.
2) No magical clubs
3) No magical wooden shields
4) Wizards and Sorcerers are walking around in scale mail in this game, but druids are stuck in garbage armor
5) Every useful spell in the druid list requires concentration
6) Fucking somatic components! Shillelagh can be cast on a club, but only if you have a free hand; flame blade can be summoned into a free hand, but the other hand must also be free to make the magic signs. Battle clerics totally ignore this due to effectively a free Warcaster feat, Wizards don't give a shit because they have melee and ranged cantrips, lesser clerics and paladins can draw an ankh on their shield and ignore more than half of it. Meanwhile druids have two 1-handed magical weapon spells but can't just draw a tree/Sierra Club logo on their shields like their better-armored counterparts!

:x

(I finally snapped and turned off somatic components; this stupid class turned me casual!)

Bara

Arcane
Lost Valley on Scavenger mode has been really fun I got to say. Combat is a lot more fun and the premise is a lot more interesting than the base campaign.

Being a bunch of mercs that get stuck in a valley with deadly monsters encroaching all around it in the mountain paths and getting involved in the factions of the valley as you try to sort out whose who and whom do you trust or follow is a lot more fun than getting a group of nobodies that show up in a tavern appointment for a official ceremony than get shipped out to check why a outpost when silent and bam now your dealing with shape shifting lizards invading from another dimension and a crown in a random dungeon that everybody wants but is stuck to one of your party members heads.

Honestly wish now that Lost Valley was the base campaign just with more hints and fore shadowing about the sorraks and the rest of the world setting then when you finish the adventure it lead into the main campaign where everything you did in the Lost Valley and getting out of there was what got you recognition with the council and lead to you showing up to that ceremony and the rest of the events that happened in the base campaign.

Like when running your own hombrew settings for pen and paper rpgs it's always best to start of within a boxed environment and let them feel around the area and the dungeon and expand out as they do more around the area and let it bleed into the wilder world. I.e. the old one town one dungeon with a lot of wilderness areas around it to explore starting format.

In a more perfect world if they ever do a Solasta Enhanced edition I'd like them to turn Lost Valley into the base campaign with that foreshadowing of future events and places in the setting and then revamp the Crown of the Magister campaign to be a high level adventure that follows directly after Lost Valley.

Lost Valley on Scavenger mode has been really fun I got to say. Combat is a lot more fun and the premise is a lot more interesting than the base campaign.

Being a bunch of mercs that get stuck in a valley with deadly monsters encroaching all around it in the mountain paths and getting involved in the factions of the valley as you try to sort out whose who and whom do you trust or follow is a lot more fun than getting a group of nobodies that show up in a tavern appointment for a official ceremony than get shipped out to check why a outpost when silent and bam now your dealing with shape shifting lizards invading from another dimension and a crown in a random dungeon that everybody wants but is stuck to one of your party members heads.

Honestly wish now that Lost Valley was the base campaign just with more hints and fore shadowing about the sorraks and the rest of the world setting then when you finish the adventure it lead into the main campaign where everything you did in the Lost Valley and getting out of there was what got you recognition with the council and lead to you showing up to that ceremony and the rest of the events that happened in the base campaign.

Like when running your own hombrew settings for pen and paper rpgs it's always best to start of within a boxed environment and let them feel around the area and the dungeon and expand out as they do more around the area and let it bleed into the wilder world. I.e. the old one town one dungeon with a lot of wilderness areas around it to explore starting format.

In a more perfect world if they ever do a Solasta Enhanced edition I'd like them to turn Lost Valley into the base campaign with that foreshadowing of future events and places in the setting and then revamp the Crown of the Magister campaign to be a high level adventure that follows directly after Lost Valley.
what is scavenger mode? I have played 90 hours so far and have no idea what this is...have not got to lost valley yet though, so maybe its in there?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
what is scavenger mode? I have played 90 hours so far and have no idea what this is...have not got to lost valley yet though, so maybe its in there?
Scavenger mode is one of the preset difficulty settings. Enemies are slightly more resilient (with a bit more HP and imperceptibly higher saving throws) and the Deadlier AI and Merciless AI options are enabled. Playing with Deadlier AI on should be the default, since enemies' special moves are so rare you really want them to use them as much as possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom