Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
somebody forgot to tell that to Baldur's Gate, one of the best D&D campaigns in a videogame I can think of.

The level cap was a major flaw. You hit the XP cap long before the endgame. No PnP player would stand for that. Some of the earliest mods removed the cap.

Level caps in general are super gay and major decline.

Most 5E pre-written campaigns end at around lvl 10 too.

All the more reason why 5E sucks.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Somebody forgot to tell that to Baldur's Gate, one of the best D&D campaigns in a videogame I can think of.
Most 5E pre-written campaigns end at around lvl 10 too.
I wouldn't say "most" of them.

You have Curse of Strahd which ends at level 10, Storm King's Thunder and Tomb of Annihilation which end at level 11, and Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden and Ghosts of Saltmarsh which end at level 12. That's 4 adventures.

On the other hand, you have Tyranny of Dragons, Princes of the Apocalypse, and Out of the Abyss all ending at level 15. Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus ends at level 13, Dungeon of the Mad Mage at level 20. Candlekeep Mysteries has adventures up to level 16.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ppz7dnf.png
Like, motherfucker, the only reason to put that shit in is to appease the journo neonheads. They already got buttblasted by the reviewtards. Why add this degeneracy now?
:negative:
(just to be clear, this thing wasn't in the backer build)

Imagine getting triggered by pronouns like you are some kind of snowflake tranny LMAO

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

You have Curse of Strahd which ends at level 10, Storm King's Thunder and Tomb of Annihilation which end at level 11, and Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden and Ghosts of Saltmarsh which end at level 12. That's 4 adventures.

On the other hand, you have Tyranny of Dragons, Princes of the Apocalypse, and Out of the Abyss all ending at level 15. Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus ends at level 13, Dungeon of the Mad Mage at level 20. Candlekeep Mysteries has adventures up to level 16.
There's also Dragon of Icespire Peak, Dragon Heist, and Lost Mine of Phendelver.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The level cap was a major flaw. You hit the XP cap long before the endgame. No PnP player would stand for that. Some of the earliest mods removed the cap.(...)
All the more reason why 5E sucks.

They said that the lv cap is due resources limitations. But I agree with you. I would prefer if Solasta was more akin to KoTC2 IE - 3.5E OGL and higher level content, but is just my preference. I an glad that we have a game for "dungeon & kobolds 5E fans".

----------------------------------

Started the game and this game is fascist!!! I can chose only she, he and they as pronoun. Why not milorde???

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Like, motherfucker, the only reason to put that shit in is to appease the journo neonheads. They already got buttblasted by the reviewtards. Why add this degeneracy now?
:negative:
(just to be clear, this thing wasn't in the backer build)
Because adding it takes little effort and will probably get them a couple extra customers who this appeals to. Or maybe they just believe in the cause. It's always possible.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

There's also Dragon of Icespire Peak, Dragon Heist, and Lost Mine of Phendelver.
None of which ends around level 10.

Elex

Arbiter
But what are the reasons most campaigns end that early? Is it because it's hard to maintain a group that long? Is it because the game gets more and more complicated at that point and it's harder to manage all your spells/abilities/crunch the numbers? Because a video game would remove both of those problems. It seems that the best place to experience high level dnd campaigns is in a video game. Why would people in tabletop not experiencing that content have any impact on how a video game should be designed? You play it solo so you don't have to maintain a group and scheduling, and the computer keeps track of and calculates all the higher numbers and keeps track of the increased amount of enemies and larger battles. Getting a dnd campaign to high levels is a challenge but video games shouldn't reflect that, they should compensate for that. Let me experience everything I can't experience otherwise. There's all this dnd content I wouldn't be able to experience without the video games
It’s harder DM side: player become capable of solve everything.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
None of which ends around level 10.
I should've said up to around lvl 10ish. It just goes to show there are full campaigns that end even earlier.
While I agree that campaigns that ends even at level 4 are perfectly fine, Lost Mine of Phandelver and Dragon of Icespire Peak don't really count because they're basically introductory adventures. Dragon Heist is perfectly fine on its own, but it's not a "full" campaign since it ends with Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It’s harder DM side: player become capable of solve everything.

Nah, it is a problem on 5E where monsters doesn't have a lot of nasty abilities. KoTC2 allows you to even become a lv 20 lich and the game is pretty dan hard.

Because adding it takes little effort and will probably get them a couple extra customers who this appeals to. Or maybe they just believe in the cause. It's always possible.

I identify myself as a vampire lord and the government needs to give a large castle and hundreds of servants to me. Otherwise the society is vampirelordfobic!!! And my pronoun is Milord.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I identify myself as a vampire lord and the government needs to give a large castle and hundreds of servants to me. Otherwise the society is vampirelordfobic!!! And my pronoun is Milord.
Not as reasonable as adding a "they" and you're only one person so they don't give a fuck.

Removal

Scholar
I thought I'd hate the UI, but it works pretty well in terms of keeping shit simple and making sure combat flows quickly
only 4 party members is pretty meh though

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Alright, I have been watching this game with interest since my arrival to this haven of neckbeards, grognards, snowflakes, bigots, etc. What I haven't done is scrolled back through the 100 pages I missed since I stopped following development. So if this was already answered--- apologies, mea culpa.

Approx. how long is this game? Side quests? Main quest? Thanks for any of the above types of people who might answer nothing personal. :)

Lacrymas

Arcane
While I agree that campaigns that ends even at level 4 are perfectly fine, Lost Mine of Phandelver and Dragon of Icespire Peak don't really count because they're basically introductory adventures.
And introductory campaigns are somehow not campaigns? Interdasting.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I've never understood the "players get too powerful" complaint. Every 3.x campaign I ran (over ten years) went to levels 15+ and I never had a problem challenging the players at any point. My games were well known for being tough but fair with a lot of creative challenges and scenarios.

Too many DMs break down when the PCs get Fly and can't figure out how to design encounters anymore. Players who outsmart your villains should be rewarded, not hit with the ban hammer. Don't blame the game rules for your lack of creativity.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It is not necessarily about challenging the players as that is as easy as bloating the stats of monsters, regardless of whether the party have fly or not. You can also give fly to the monsters. It's just that your options to challenge them become fewer and fewer with each level. The gameplay itself gets bloated as well due to having to keep track of so many things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom