Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
While I agree that campaigns that ends even at level 4 are perfectly fine, Lost Mine of Phandelver and Dragon of Icespire Peak don't really count because they're basically introductory adventures.
And introductory campaigns are somehow not campaigns? Interdasting.
Well, no, they are not. They are part of the Starter Set and Essential Kit, which are basically tutorials for the game. Saying that they are full adventures is like saying that a demo is a full game.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Whenever I make a ranged sneak attack, it takes about five centuries to proccess. I don't remember things being like this in EA.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I've never understood the "players get too powerful" complaint. Every 3.x campaign I ran (over ten years) went to levels 15+ and I never had a problem challenging the players at any point. My games were well known for being tough but fair with a lot of creative challenges and scenarios.

Too many DMs break down when the PCs get Fly and can't figure out how to design encounters anymore. Players who outsmart your villains should be rewarded, not hit with the ban hammer. Don't blame the game rules for your lack of creativity.

You are talking about 3E. People who say that are hard to challenge high level PC's are generally talking about 5E. On 2E, a single wail of the banshee trap can kill any high level party if everyone has unlucky on his saves. On 5E, players have so much hp past lv 15 that nothing is a treat to then.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Other than that... it depends on sales, I guess.
I have done my part. I bought the game just now.
Same. I might start this first i heard it's shorter. Likely a 30 hours ish campaign? Troubleshooter is 80+ hours and there are still story content being added.
I'm gonna wait till the troubleshooter boys move on to their next project so I can play troubleshooter in peace.

Every time I consider possibly actually starting Troubleshooter, they completed another update, so I figure I may as well wait.
Inform me when they move on so i could try it out.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Half Orcs aren't intelligent. Half elves are. What can Half-Orcs do that can't be done by humans OR orcs?
Half orkz are stronger than humans and can be shock troopers in human society and smarter than orkz, so can lead the tribe. They have their unique niche in both. What half elf brings to the table compared to pure human or elf?
A lot of sex..... a lot more important than shitty half orks.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I downloaded the game earlier today, thinking it got released. It cost me >12GB. Now I learned that the actual release was later in the day and the game has to... download another >12GB?

:rage:

But seriously, why do you need to essentially re-download an entire game?

I know, right? Another 11 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. I’ll have to go make a cuppa tea or something.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, no, they are not. They are part of the Starter Set and Essential Kit, which are basically tutorials for the game. Saying that they are full adventures is like saying that a demo is a full game.
However, there are no "full versions" of the demos because they aren't demos but self-contained campaigns.

Btw, Solasta is out on GOG now and I already installed it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Half Orcs aren't intelligent. Half elves are. What can Half-Orcs do that can't be done by humans OR orcs?
Half orkz are stronger than humans and can be shock troopers in human society and smarter than orkz, so can lead the tribe. They have their unique niche in both. What half elf brings to the table compared to pure human or elf?
With... half elf? But why? Why bother with halfbreed?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ah fetishes,also half elf have more libido than elfs. Would take a half elf over half ork any day,tho elf slave wench is always top tier :).

Bara

Arcane
But if it happens, it's not a frequent occurence.

Welp seems like a slap on sticker then which not sure it'll be satisfactory for those folks it matters too but hey if it gets them more money for a sequel somehow all the better I suppose.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Am I going to regret taking a Paladin in place of a Fighter, and not taking a Cleric? Can he handle party healing duties on his own? Or is this a big-time mistake?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
People who say that are hard to challenge high level PC's are generally talking about 5E.

I've definitely seen this complaint over 3.x systems for many years. It's always "Halp the players have fly" or "halp the players have teleport" or "halp the players have any buff spell at all" or "halp the rogue actually sneak attacked once" or "halp the players have a druid." Then everyone agrees all these spells and classes are too powerful and need to be nerfed or banned.

A big selling point of both 4e and 5e was the systems would be *more* balanced to smooth out player power spikes and difficulty curves. 4e nerfed most magic items, mobility magic (fly) and others. 5E specifically nerfs buffs, bonus stacking, and ability score inflation. The fact these systems nerf everything and STILL have the 'halp players too stronk' complaint is just sad.

It all goes back to 2E, where a system bug led players to be stuck at levels 1-3 for months or even years of play, resulting in a generation of DMs with no skill at high level games.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Other than that... it depends on sales, I guess.
I have done my part. I bought the game just now.
Same. I might start this first i heard it's shorter. Likely a 30 hours ish campaign? Troubleshooter is 80+ hours and there are still story content being added.
I'm gonna wait till the troubleshooter boys move on to their next project so I can play troubleshooter in peace.

Every time I consider possibly actually starting Troubleshooter, they completed another update, so I figure I may as well wait.
Inform me when they move on so i could try it out.
Sure.

Yosharian

Arcane
So this is basically a combatfag game? I don't get that. 5E just doesn't seem complex enough to justify it. Also what is the encounter design like in this game? I'm sceptical.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Ah fetishes,also half elf have more libido than elfs. Would take a half elf over half ork any day,tho elf slave wench is always top tier :).
But goat is still better?

Harthwain

Magister
Some of my impressions while I wait for the game to download itself (again):

- The final part of character creation is UGLY. 1 beard for humans, and it's missmatched for some faces, meaning it looked like an incorrectly glued fake beard. Dwarves are famous for their beards, so they got... 2. Yes, two beards to pick from. Faces in general look bad, but the utter lack of facial hair to pick from (and very few faces) means hair is your main way of distinguishing between your characters. And a lot of haircuts are Elven-like for some reason (long and fancy braided).

Also, I feel like some guys tried to do female voices in order to cut down the cost of voice acting (and the voices range from bad to poor in general). Thankfully the mechanical part of the character creation is good enough to keep the whole process interesting.

- I am having a major problem trying to figure out what item characteristics mean. I can use <alt> to see a full description, but I can't hover over their properties to see what "Versatility" translates into. Other than that I am OK with the UI. I get it's a bit too space-y for some people, but it's clear and functional, for the most part.

- In the tutorial of the stealth mission my Ranger got picked. The game told me to try and pickpocket somebody by using Sleight of Hand when in Caution mode. But nothing really happens when I try to do that. I am just not getting the option for some reason. Maybe that's because my Sleight of Hand was too low or something (I got it at +2)? The pickpocketing part is not required to finish the tutorial, but it's really confusing.

- I like that when you are near walls you get a bit of see-through of your surroundings, so you don't have to rotate the camera every time your characters disappear behind something. The ability to highlight supposedly obvious points of interest I am going to take, because I don't find hunting pixels in the dark to be good gameplay mechanic.

- The map and fast travel are well done (the latter reminds me of Kingdom Come: Deliverance). Having small portraits appear when characters are outside of your view is nice, it helps with the overall orientation.

I know, right? Another 11 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. I’ll have to go make a cuppa tea or something.
More like hours. And I really didn't have to lose all this bandwith now, considering I was waiting for the game all this time. Thankfully I am past times when my bandwith was really precious resource (because of the whole "Hey guys, we need to you work from home from now on!"), so it's just a minor annoyance. Still, I don't really see the point. Are they really swapping their entire game out or something?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact these systems nerf everything and STILL have the 'halp players too stronk' complaint is just sad.
The classes have never been as powerful as they are in 5E, though. And the monsters in the base Monster Manual have skewed challenge ratings, i.e. they are easier than their CR would indicate. The subclasses differ wildly in combat effectiveness too, a Moon Druid is grotesque from the very beginning for example. It also depends on whether you play with feats or not, some feats are disgustingly overpowered and make the powerful classes even more powerful.

So this is basically a combatfag game? I don't get that. 5E just doesn't seem complex enough to justify it. Also what is the encounter design like in this game? I'm sceptical.
It is a combatfag game, yes. 5E is complex enough, but the lack of multiclassing and half the classes really dampens that. The encounter design wasn't good when I played it in early access. I'm hoping the harder difficulty modes offset that somewhat.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Some of my impressions while I wait for the game to download itself (again):

- The final part of character creation is UGLY. 1 beard for humans, and it's missmatched for some faces, meaning it looked like an incorrectly glued fake beard. Dwarves are famous for their beards, so they got... 2. Yes, two beards to pick from. Faces in general look bad, but the utter lack of facial hair to pick from (and very few faces) means hair is your main way of distinguishing between your characters. And a lot of haircuts are Elven-like for some reason (long and fancy braided).

Agreed on the char creation, in that most of the characters in the game are butt-fucking ugly. The default Ranger guy looks like a sullen teenager who hangs out at Spencers in the mall with a fucking wallet chain and a fat goth girlfriend. What I'm getting at is they look fucking dumb.

Also, I feel like some guys tried to do female voices in order to cut down the cost of voice acting (and the voices range from bad to poor in general). Thankfully the mechanical part of the character creation is good enough to keep the whole process interesting.

Agree here too, the voice acting is pretty bad. The narrator is bad at his job, and I get the sense that he narration and dialogue were written by non-native English speakers and translated but not passed through good localization. It is such a small thing but it makes a huge impact on the presentation.

I am having a major problem trying to figure out what item characteristics mean. I can use <alt> to see a full description, but I can't hover over their properties to see what "Versatility" translates into. Other than that I am OK with the UI. I get it's a bit too space-y for some people, but it's clear and functional, for the most part.

The UI bugs me because it takes up too much of the screen, and I was not able to find a way to make it smaller. Also, I couldn't find a slider for mouse sensitivity (camera turning is way too fucking slow for my tastes).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Am I going to regret taking a Paladin in place of a Fighter, and not taking a Cleric? Can he handle party healing duties on his own? Or is this a big-time mistake?
Nothing wrong with the Paladin, it's an amazing class. Arguably better than the Fighter. I played the EA a lot, and every time I picked a Fighter I found myself regretting not having chosen a Paladin instead.

You don't need a Cleric to heal your party: most of your healing potential comes from short rests. The game is also very generous with healing potions. I find myself using the Paladin's Lay on Hands far more than the Cleric's Cure Wounds, mainly because your Cleric's slots are better used in other ways. I think not taking a Cleric is a mistake, not because you need his healing spells (even though Healing Word is great), but because, being one of the two only caster classes in the game, it adds a lot of fun options to an otherwise very simple and straightforward combat system.

What are the stats of the trannies you've rolled, bros?

BEcBCD3.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
But goat is still better?
:smug:
Half-elfs are great for my brothel empire. High char so they could get more gibs from the people,night vision so you save on candles and lamps,eat less thus you save of on food just give them some old vegetables and you are set,also they are half breeds you could just slap them around and do whatever because discrimination is great and nobody cares. Those are just a few points of superiority. What could your half orks do??? You say how they are strong and shit,but can they stop an arrow volley or a fireball,can they suck dick sooo fucking good that brings you political influence and moneyz ?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom