Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm playing on a difficulty balanced for normies and game journos and I'm not challenged at all!!!
I wonder why would that be.
I am assuming this is core RAW, so I don't see why a challenge isn't possible. I am going to crank it up to max and see what that does for the dark castle. The AI is still dumb, though.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Also Aid as a spell is bugged as fuck. Swapping weapons as well as doing half a dozen other common activities immediatly loses you the +5 HP.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Warning: The Belt of Dwarvenkind has a 50% chance of making a beard appear on the character wearing it at the end of every long rest (or possibly at an exact time every day) rather than just when equipping or attuning the item. :M

Larianshill

Arbiter
Also, where the fuck do I find a cloud diamond or Medusa's Coral? I'm pretty sure I'm near the endgame, and I still can't craft half the shit I have the recipes for.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
While Marksman originally seemed strong to me, in the hindsight I should have picked Hunter.

The Gloom Stalker variant is apparently really good aswell, because most strong fights like the Soraks have superior dark vision, so the extra damage is on most of the time.

I got bamboozeld into picking Marksman because I had noone with proficiency in Herbalism, but that was a bad move because being proficient in Nature or Healing or so is enough anyway. The countershot ability is mediocre.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, where the fuck do I find a cloud diamond or Medusa's Coral? I'm pretty sure I'm near the endgame, and I still can't craft half the shit I have the recipes for.
If you haven't found any by looting, they are probably bought somewhere.

Larianshill

Arbiter
The fight in the Temple of Lost God was a complete joke, and honestly any fight with Zealots in it is more dangerous than that "boss". I'm honestly thinking the reason Zealots are so hardcore is, because they're bugged.
3Mb7c4L.png

They have three different attacks, but I've never seen them use Claws, the weakest one.

Harthwain

Magister
Some impressions after the first two fights:

1) The necessity of having free hand to cast spells is pain in the ass for Paladins and Clerics. You can side-step this annoyance (by using two-handed weapon or secondary one-handed weapon), which makes me question why this is even a rule.

2) It's nice that you can fire weapon while being hidden and have to roll for stealth in order to remain hidden. It gives your ranged characters and edge. A shame you can't stealthly assassinate unaware opponents, but I guess it would make one class way more powerful and allow you to cheese encounters that way.

3) Not being able to see chest's difficulty before actually trying to open it is annoying. Am I missing something?

4) There are some cool interactions with spells, thanks to flying and pushing being possible. I put half a dozen of Brimstone Vipers to sleep, making them fall to the ground from the air where my melee characters could easily finish them off.

5) I was a bit lost not knowing what AC I need to reach in order to hit a target. I guess this gets revealed after you kill enough enemies of that certain type, but it needlessly complicated the situation for me when I was ambushed by the bandits at camp at night.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i dislike my mage. As usual I dislike pure spellcasters due to my spells hoarding way of playing.

sylvan elf green mage with spy background would make fine replacement for ranger too right?
with 1 slot suddenly open I am eyeing mountaineer ftr. Is it as fun as it seem or actually meh? That would make my party composition rogue, green mage, combat clr and mountaineer

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
i dislike my mage. As usual I dislike pure spellcasters due to my spells hoarding way of playing.

sylvan elf green mage with spy background would make fine replacement for ranger too right?
with 1 slot suddenly open I am eyeing mountaineer ftr. Is it as fun as it seem or actually meh? That would make my party composition rogue, green mage, combat clr and mountaineer

Mountaineer is the Sword and Board fighter right? That one is good. Champion is a mediocre archetype and Spellblade is niche. Sword and Board is well supported, a lot of one handed strength based magic weapons and shields even very early.

Greenmage is pure sugar, wonderfull with a bow early, and on lvl 5 take conjure animals as one of the most broken spells in the game.

Combat Cleric is all around solid.

Idk about the rogue but probably good aswell.

1) The necessity of having free hand to cast spells is pain in the ass for Paladins and Clerics. You can side-step this annoyance (by using two-handed weapon or secondary one-handed weapon), which makes me question why this is even a rule.

You can turn that off in the rules. Or cheese it a bit by using your free inventory interaction per turn to stow away your weapon before casting a spell. It is an actual rule from the tabeltop, but one of the least enforces ones. It is usually just used so that you can't cast most spells with bound hands in captivity.

V_K

Arcane
Is there good armor in Solasta for mages? (Like arcane robes or something)
Mine got Cloth of Lightbringers late in the game - AC 14+Dex and halves necrotic damage (if attuned).
But your mage's best armor is the Shield spell - only takes a 1-level slot, cast as a reaction and gives you +5 to AC.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Can you post *spoilers* about mage only armor?
There are also Bracers of Defense from the faction Merchants for really cheap. And I think those stack with Mage Armor spell for 13 AC (Mage Armor) +2 (Bracers) for 15. Add +3 dex on top and that is 18.
My fighters currently have 16-17 in midgame. My tank 19.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there good armor in Solasta for mages? (Like arcane robes or something)
Mine got Cloth of Lightbringers late in the game - AC 14+Dex and halves necrotic damage (if attuned).
But your mage's best armor is the Shield spell - only takes a 1-level slot, cast as a reaction and gives you +5 to AC.

I am thinking about taking Sellsword for Medium armor.
IF there are no good mage armors.
+14 armor and +Dex (any Dex or +2 Dex limit)?

V_K

Arcane
Any Dex. Only heavy armors have a Dex limit. But as I've said, I got it really late in the game - I don't remember where from and whether I could have gotten it earlier.
If you want armor for your mage, get a Greenmage - they can wear leather, and leather +2 can be pretty neat, especially with high Dex.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Any Dex. Only heavy armors have a Dex limit. But as I've said, I got it really late in the game - I don't remember where from and whether I could have gotten it earlier.
If you want armor for your mage, get a Greenmage - they can wear leather, and leather +2 can be pretty neat, especially with high Dex.

Medium armors have +2 dex limit.

V_K

Arcane

Medium armors have +2 dex limit.
Doesn't matter, mages can't wear medium either, even Greenmages.
Personally, I've also found those armors pretty useless - either you have high dex and you go for light (better stealth also), or you have low dex and go for heavy (better AC anyway).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom