Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going with my original "inquisitor" group consisting of 2 Paladins, a Cleric, and a Wizard. This time, however, I'm going to make my signature Priest/Rogue multiclass a Paladin because Clerics aren't as good fighters without multiclassing.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Am I going to regret taking a Paladin in place of a Fighter, and not taking a Cleric? Can he handle party healing duties on his own? Or is this a big-time mistake?
Nothing wrong with the Paladin, it's an amazing class. Arguably better than the Fighter. I played the EA a lot, and every time I picked a Fighter I found myself regretting not having chosen a Paladin instead.

You don't need a Cleric to heal your party: most of your healing potential comes from short rests. The game is also very generous with healing potions. I find myself using the Paladin's Lay on Hands far more than the Cleric's Cure Wounds, mainly because your Cleric's slots are better used in other ways. I think not taking a Cleric is a mistake, not because you need his healing spells (even though Healing Word is great), but because, being one of the two only caster classes in the game, it adds a lot of fun options to an otherwise very simple and straightforward combat system.

I've got HalfE Pal, HighE Wiz, IslandH Rogue, and SylvanE Ranger. You think I'll miss the Cleric too much?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The classes have never been as powerful as they are in 5E

OYygocv.png

I don't see how that could possibly be true. Fewer spells, fewer spell slots (esp. at high levels), 'bounded accuracy,' nerfed buffs, nerfed AC, nerfed attack progression, nerfed sneak attack, nerfed ability scores, feats removed, nerfed magic items/slots, etc.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'm going with my original "inquisitor" group consisting of 2 Paladins, a Cleric, and a Wizard. This time, however, I'm going to make my signature Priest/Rogue multiclass a Paladin because Clerics aren't as good fighters without multiclassing.
I've gone with Paladin, Rogue, Wizard and Cleric, and I'm already regretting specing wizard into Green Wizard. Also, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with sneak attack?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Also, I love how you can feel the struggle of the horn player with his Star-Wars-Force-theme-like melody, lol.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I've definitely seen this complaint over 3.x systems for many years. It's always "Halp the players have fly" or "halp the players have teleport" or "halp the players have any buff spell at all" or "halp the rogue actually sneak attacked once" or "halp the players have a druid." Then everyone agrees all these spells and classes are too powerful and need to be nerfed or banned.

Except fighters. For some DM's, everyone needs to play as human fighter with a sword like a jrpg. Fly is not a high level spell. It is a 3rd tier spell. And if players can fly, enemies can fly too. And spells like teleport can be countered by dimensional lock. Buffs and OP magical gear can be countered by disjunction or dispel magic. 99% of this is DM"s "lack of thinking" problem. Not game problem.

When I played 3E, nobody on my group wanted to DM, so we did a "DM rotation". I DMed a session on underdark as a high level lich and killed 2/3 of the player party in two combat rounds. If wasen't by miracle/wish, a lot of guys would have to re roll another character. The party was lv 17. DM's have God powers. If they can't think in a way to challenge mere mortals, is the DM's fault. And the party decided to flee the encounter, otherwise would have been a wipe.

The classes have never been as powerful as they are in 5E, though.

WHAT???

Would you say that Pale Master on 5E is stronger than Pale Master on 3E? Druids are powerful but nothing like 3E CoDzillas.

It all goes back to 2E, where a system bug led players to be stuck at levels 1-3 for months or even years of play, resulting in a generation of DMs with no skill at high level games.

This is a problem of SOME dms. Forcing players to play dungeons & kobolds for months. Don't give proper XP to players and force then to constantly re start at lv 1.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Like, motherfucker, the only reason to put that shit in is to appease the journo neonheads. They already got buttblasted by the reviewtards. Why add this degeneracy now?
:negative:
(just to be clear, this thing wasn't in the backer build)
Because adding it takes little effort and will probably get them a couple extra customers who this appeals to. Or maybe they just believe in the cause. It's always possible.
But what if BG3 will add pronouns?

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
[The classes have never been as powerful as they are in 5E, though.

You are fucking high. Clearly you never played with the 'splatbooks' of the D&D 3.5 era which are so comically OP they've literally become a meme.

3.5 Edition Cleric using Splatbook-- Heals, turns undead, dual wields 2-handed swords almost as well as the fighter (monkey grip, over-sized weapons, ambidex, etc), casts fireballs and arcance spells as well as the mage, and does it all, including arcane spellcasting, while wearing full plate armor.

That is what generated the meme. In 1st/2nd edition people hated playing a cleric because you were the party's "healing battery" basically with all the gimpy restrictions. By 3.5 they had overcompensated to the point of farce where you had this god tier, Holy Tank Mage.

Lacrymas

Arcane
WHAT???

Would you say that Pale Master on 5E is stronger than Pale Master on 3E? Druids are powerful but nothing like 3E CoDzillas.
They might not become as powerful in the end, but they are more powerful throughout the leveling process, which also counts, and it actually counts more than what an "end-game" build looks like. Their comparative power is also more pronounced earlier. A Moon Druid already breaks campaigns at level 2, while a Wizard is still baggage at that point.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Would you say that Pale Master on 5E is stronger than Pale Master on 3E?
Is this a trick question? There's no Pale Master in 5E.

Not on the core rulebooks. Look here > https://www.5esrd.com/classes/3rd-party-publisher-classes/grimlore-entertainment/the-pale-master/

A Moon Druid already breaks campaigns at level 2, while a Wizard is still baggage at that point.

Nice point. IMO the damage took in a druid form should be taken to another.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So what's the deal with the Scavengers, do they loot everything for me?
When a crummy goblin drops a rusty knife, do I need to carry that shit or will leaving it on the ground give me my 1 copper piece?

jackofshadows

Magister
I mean, how hard is to fuck up such a basic thing like moving the camera with mouse? After EA no less. WASD only OR I have to press middle mouse button and THEN move the camera with it.

Also there's no way of checking which voice does the created character has hence it's very easy to end up with the same voices in party. I'll pretend that my 2 females are sisters or some shit
rating_negativeman.png

And yeah, loled at
It has pronoun selection.

And no, for those of you out there that are bothered by that, it does not make it political - trans people have as much right to exist as any other person, and that's our final stance on the question.
Like, are people that derailed? Mixing up reality and fantasy world does not make it political - sure thing pal, sure fucking thing.

V_K

Arcane
So what's the deal with the Scavengers, do they loot everything for me?
When a crummy goblin drops a rusty knife, do I need to carry that shit or will leaving it on the ground give me my 1 copper piece?
They loot everything, except things in containers that you didn't open, but they take 6-10 days to do that (for dungeons, less for world map encounters), and possibly you get slightly less money that way. In principle, nothing's stopping you from just waiting out all this time in the tavern, so there aren't really too many downsides.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom