Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Small team"

FUKK OFF.

So, I'm about to enter the second part of the immensly big Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Do you recommend me to buy Solasta? Am I going to get seerius depressions from not knowing which one to play?

Solasta is better than the second half of Pathfinder Kingmaker already tbh. If you enjoy that then Solasta is a fairly safe bet.
The first half of Kingmaker however is significantly better than Solasta, putting Kingmaker overall a bit higher for me.
Both games rank as 8/10 for me currently, a weak 8/10 in Solasta and a strong 8/10 in Kingmaker.

Another element is that Kingmaker is a munchkin's dream. Solasta is far more limited on that front.
could not stand that about kingmaker and it is why I never finished it. It was really ridiculous, everyone had belts of +4 DEX, CON, STR and hats of INT +4 and +5 swords, it really makes exploration not that fun after awhile if you are decked out in +5 everything

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I'm about to enter the second part of the immensly big Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Do you recommend me to buy Solasta? Am I going to get seerius depressions from not knowing which one to play?

Solasta is better than the second half of Pathfinder Kingmaker already tbh. If you enjoy that then Solasta is a fairly safe bet.
The first half of Kingmaker however is significantly better than Solasta, putting Kingmaker overall a bit higher for me.
Both games rank as 8/10 for me currently, a weak 8/10 in Solasta and a strong 8/10 in Kingmaker.

Another element is that Kingmaker is a munchkin's dream. Solasta is far more limited on that front.
could not stand that about kingmaker and it is why I never finished it. It was really ridiculous, everyone had belts of +4 DEX, CON, STR and hats of INT +4 and +5 swords, it really makes exploration not that fun after awhile if you are decked out in +5 everything

Funnily enough that seems to be more of an issue with the adaptation than the original AP. In most Paizo APs, you don't get things like +4, 4 belts handed out like candy even by the final books.

In Strange Aeons we just killed a CR 17 vampire lord and his bodyguards in an optional fight (we weren't actually supposed to fight him, as the DM gave us tons of time to get away, and was a bit surprised we decided to stand and face him down).

This guy was the leader of a nexus on Carcosa and very rich and influential. His equipment? Decent but not amazing. A +3 glamoured mithril breastplate, a +3 keen rapier, a +4 cloak of resistance, a mask of the mesmerist, a +4 dex belt and a +4 charisma headband.

That's the sort of general loot you get from high CR encounters against "boss" type enemies even in the sixth book. In Owlcat's Kingmaker that same fight would probably contain a lot more (and improved) loot.

Edit: Whisper, not sure which part you're disagreeing with. I've either DM'd or played almost every official Paizo AP. None of them hand out loot and high end items like you routinely get in the Kingmaker CRPG.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
if i go with mountaineer, shadowcaster, shadow tamer and motherland pally, will I have anyone being able to cast fly?

im still unclear how scrolls work exactly. Shadowcaster doesnt have transmutation, so not possible?
I can see that fly is also on cleric list, perhaps pally or ranger could do it?

In general im a bit worried about exploration. Shadowcaster doesnt have extended jump and climbing. In theory ranger seem to have jump spell. Wikis are incomplete, id be missing spider legs, misty step, fly, possibly others?

V_K

Arcane
There are a couple of potions of fly in the game, and boots of spider climb. You might miss out on some loot and some battles may be harder, but otherwise you should be fine.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
yeah battle cleric is outstanding
in theory, in practice mine is not doing much... its almost like if paladin would do instead
Yeah, melee clerics without multiclassing don't work well in 5E, and it's even worse in Solasta because the Battle domain is worse than War from the PHB. War domain's problem is that you don't get enough extra damage, Divine Strike at level 8 (!) doesn't cut it. You fall behind on damage very quickly, even though you start out strong due to getting a second attack at lvl 1 (the amount of times equals your wisdom modifier, though, so it's not mindblowing or anything), but it's still only equal to the Paladin's smite. After Paladins get second level spells, it's over for the War Cleric. Solasta's Battle Cleric not only doesn't get a second attack, but their extra damage is only once per rest, which severely limits their damage output from the get-go and only gets worse compared to the Paladin. It's so iffy that I don't think the Battle domain or melee Clerics in general are a viable or interesting choice in Solasta.
Battle clerics do in fact get Extra Attack at 8th level, making them better at melee than any PhB cleric domain. Sure, the battle cleric will never be as good as the paladin for single-target damage, but they make up for it with constant AoE damage from Spirit Guardians, and the ability to stun enemies on a hit can be very useful on the right target.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I specifically went in-game to see if they get extra attacks and somehow missed it. Then, yeah, they are better than War, but still not very good.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
one more thing, will paladin with academy background have any trouble crafting items? I dont quite get this system

Lacrymas

Arcane
To craft items, you only need the proficiency with the needed kit. You need the required spell only when crafting scrolls.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
anyone can show how fully upgraded crown looks like? curious about bonuses, so far im unhappy that I gave it to non talking character.

EDIT: does passing talking skills result in less xp due to lack of combat?

V_K

Arcane
To craft items, you only need the proficiency with the needed kit. You need the required spell only when crafting scrolls.
That's not true. In addition to kit proficiency, you need Arcana proficiency for enchanting and scroll making, Arcana and Medicine for potions, and Medicine and Nature for poisoned arrows.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
anyone can show how fully upgraded crown looks like? curious about bonuses, so far im unhappy that I gave it to non talking character.

It never gets full upgraded,they run out of money and cut shit from the game,also you lose it for the end part. You will never run out of XP,mid game you get max level.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron

With the way it assigns one skill-check per character, you can't really have the designated face that does all the talking. Unless you ok with that character using whatever skill he got assigned to.

There's is some xp loss, but nothing drastic. Missing the loot could be more impactful.
If I remember correctly, talking Madracht down gave me 1600 xp, killing him provided 1685 xp and access to
"Tome of Understanding"
with 20 000 gp listed price, although it's bugged and unusable atm.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
If I remember correctly, talking Madracht down gave me 1600 xp, killing him provided 1685 xp and access to "Tome of Understanding" with
20 000 gp listed price, althoguh it's bugged and unusable atm.
:negative: main reason i asked. Vampire before that I could provoke. Necromancer just disappeared

as for infravision ring, I found it many hours later, sold it to merchant. 1st item i noticed that was magical and didnt claim its remarkable or such, just plain ring. Found it because merchant had listed it under heavy price

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
maaaan this rogue not having access to fly spells sucks and ruins my plans. Spellblade with bow sounds better but then I cant bear not having rog in party :negative:

edit: just checked, levitation potions arent cheap and no one appear to be selling crafting recipe.
meanwhile levitation boots cost 1840

spider potions are being sold for like 150 each. Same story - not craftable.
spider boots like 736

misty step is missing i guess. jump can be cast by ranger. Am i missing anything else?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
For the most xp gain, talk yourself out of the combat and then steal their shit to provoke a fight. It works with Aksha.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
For the most xp gain, talk yourself out of the combat and then steal their shit to provoke a fight. It works with Aksha.
It works only with her,after the undead castle you can't even talk yourself out of combat. It is clear that the game is unfinished product,or the place was made only to sell more copies and make people think that the rest of the game is like that. Later on you don't even get a dialogue options,it is worst than fallout 4 lol.

V_K

Arcane
edit: just checked, levitation potions arent cheap and no one appear to be selling crafting recipe.
meanwhile levitation boots cost 1840
Don't confuse fly with levitation. Levitation's only use is to get someone in or out of melee range in combat. It's absolutely useless for exploration because you can't move horizontally while levitated.

Polanski

Scholar
The Belt of Dwarvenkind made my gender-fluid elf complete:

FF88E797A03E753136AD502051AAA2C4CFD2ED51

It finally made sense with the male-sounding female voice and the pronoun of "they". :D I understand a lot of people on here are too uncormfortable with their own sexuality to allow others to define their own, but I was really happy to be able to make such a character.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I am an idiot who realised only now that you can cast levitate as an offensive spell that can remove an enemy from the fight at the cost of concentration, provided that said enemy doesn't have any ranged/spell attacks.
Shame that canceling your concentration doesn't violently drop them though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom