Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can't understand how someone could enjoy BG3 and complain about this much better 5E adaptation...

If you already know you won't enjoy 5E, there's nothing this game can do for you. Literally nothing.

I don't like 5E but liked this game. When I say that I don't like 5E, I'm not saying that I can't stand 5E. Only that 5E is vastly inferior to 2E or 3E. This game honestly is IMO inferior to black geyser. IF was 2E or 3E, I would say that is better than Black Geyser.

Codex Year of the Donut
I can't understand how someone could enjoy BG3 and complain about this much better 5E adaptation...
because there's a lot more to an RPG that just adapting a rules system.

...which Solasta didn't even fully adapt. Classes are part of it, and they skimped heavily. Offering basic classes as DLC feels needlessly greedy, too.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I flipped back and forth about this game quite a bit, but overall it is below average for tacticool rpgs you can get on Steam. Get Warbanners, get Fell Seal, get Naheulbeuk, all will be overall better. It is a bit like Knights of the Chalice in that regard, below average tactical rpg hyped up here because people really like DnD. It is not that bad tho, I finished the base game, and I am playing the DLC right now. The DLC is VERY buggy, but better and more interesting than the base game.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Because there's more to a game than the technical details of a system I already said I don't like to begin with.

I don't want to kill nameless orc in nameless dungeon for barely a reason. I'd like the whole package. I'd like tactics and an imaginative and engaging story to go with it. I'd like a game that doesn't feel buggy as hell a year after its release. (BG3 hasn't been released yet, so I tolerate some bugs there.)

If you're not giving me that, AND not even giving me a pretty game to look at, I'd rather play better games, or D&D or nothing at all.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Agreed. Internal consistency and good writing. Solasta is very generic in this regard but by having a start of "adventurers meet in a tavern" but this is extreely better than a mindflayer spelljammer ship vs a dragon army for a low level campaign and by not having stupid shit like lv 5 archdruids with trouble against goblins, Solasta is already good enough IMO.

The DLC is VERY buggy, but better and more interesting than the base game.

HOw is the DLC is? I din't bough the DLC

. Offering basic classes as DLC feels needlessly greedy, too.

I see no problem with it. Resources are limited and classes often require tons of new assets, new mechanics, new animations and etc.

Kingmaker sold Kineticist as an DLC. And I would gladly pay for more races and classes. I wish that I could play Kingmaker with WoTR classes without the WoTR bloat...

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

...which Solasta didn't even fully adapt. Classes are part of it, and they skimped heavily. Offering basic classes as DLC feels needlessly greedy, too.
Yeah, seeing classes as DLC didn't give me any hope either.

You get a limited refund window with these games. I had to make a choice of whether or not I wanted to suffer through this thing in the hopes that Kickstarter cultists weren't lying their asses off yet again about how great the game they invested in is, or whether or I would just get my $16 back and call it quits.

And the more I see the usual defensive Kickstarter fits in this thread, the better I feel about my decision to cash out and spend my time elsewhere.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
HOw is the DLC is? I din't bough the DLC
I admire what it tries to do, nonlinear campaign in a death dealing jungle, with warring factions going at it fall of the Aztecs style. The problem is that at the end the six factions or so boil down to a single big choice: Are you with the emperor or not? Disobeying him turns all the guards hostile and locks you out of a few factions, while staying with him earns you a lot of disfavour with a bunch of other factions, so the more complex faction system is a bit wasted.

The DLC has a more healthy mix of long dungeons and single even locations. It also has more alternative solutions. As an example you need to visit a prison complex and need to bailout a criminal if you side with the revolution. It is just one small map for the fort, and you can either just kill all the guards, or I used invisibility powder to sneak past them. The scripting and writing for quests also felt a bit more interesting in general.

Fights are a bit more varied, because you face way more hostile spellcasters. This also makes cataclysm difficulty unplayable as a side effect, as that difficulty doubles all incoming damage. Some of the bosses WILL oneshot your entire party on a successfull save against their empowered Insect Swarm if you play on cataclysm, so if someone really wants to beat this on cata he needs to load up on counterspell opportunities. It makes normal and scavenger better experiences tho. I still play on a hybrid difficulty between cata and scavenger, although I needed to do some finetuning for this game, decrease the enemy damage modificator because of all the unavoidable aoe spells and increase some other stuff.

There are some mild systems improvements, crafting is more fun because they got their shit together with primed items and the like, and you get actual magic loot much rarer, making your oil of sharpness +1 magical crafted weapons actual upgrades.

Overall it is a mild improvement over the base game, but the increased complexity comes with an exponential increase in bugs. Last time I checked some faction routes were still unwinnable because of critical bugs.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I bought Solasta, played a bit.
I just escaped the fort dungeon, the part when it turns out David Icke was right all along.

I appriciate the DnD purist autism, but... it feels like there are "holes" in the tacticool logic.
I would expect a wall climbing enemy to have some serious penalties or risk fall after a hit.
Half cover gives you +2AC? Wow, this will stop being relevant around level 3.

I would expect a wall climbing enemy to have some serious penalties or risk fall after a hit.

They risk fall after the hit, if you looked at the combat log you would notice that enemies just won their fall check roll.

Half cover gives you +2AC? Wow, this will stop being relevant around level 3.

2 AC is a noticeable improvement. It is noticeable even in editions with higher power curve than 5 ed, especially on low levels. TBH I don't remember using cover that much in Solasta, but 2 AC makes a difference.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Sivaks:

dracsiva.gif
whatdoyoumeanwerelost_product_001.jpg

Imrahil

Educated
Solasta is not a bad game. Considering how dumbed down 5e, is, Solasta is quite good.
I think this a good assessment. It's fun, good even, to the extent that I've played through the main campaign & Lost Valley a couple times & enjoyed it. But what it lacks is any feeling of "I achieved something!".

To illustrate what I mean, I'll use BG2 references: there is really no Firkraag battle: OMG! I just beat a Dragon, after figuring out strategies & trying again (which, yes, we all know what to do by now). There is no "wow, that Bodhi fight was super hard, but I finally beat it!!" Not to even mention Irenicus.

There's nothing like that - nothing memorable. I mean, I like the game, I enjoy playing it, but there's no event where I feel like "hey, let's talk about various strategies during *X* fight..

Or, to switch to Planescape: there's no Ravel. It's *mild* fun. Fun, sure, but not memorable.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I will never get over how soraks are supposed to this mythological enemy that nobody believes in, but they are literally the second enemy that you fight, and even a drunk in the bar knows that they're real. Also, there's a whole quest to bring a sorak head to the council as a proof, even though you just killed a million soraks in the last quest, and you could have easily decapitated one of them. It's like being attacked by the men in black flying black helicopters, and not snapping any photos once you manage to kill them.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will never get over how soraks are supposed to this mythological enemy that nobody believes in, but they are literally the second enemy that you fight, and even a drunk in the bar knows that they're real. Also, there's a whole quest to bring a sorak head to the council as a proof, even though you just killed a million soraks in the last quest, and you could have easily decapitated one of them. It's like being attacked by the men in black flying black helicopters, and not snapping any photos once you manage to kill them.

I found that whole thing hilarious. I don't think it was intended as comedy, but I treated it as it was when it came to this thing.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That council scene is more fun the more you think about it: since soraks drop their horns, you already have their body parts in your inventory.

"Show us proof that soraks exist!"

Me, a French adventurer with a piece of soraks' body in my backpack: "HOW?!"

V_K

Arcane
That council scene is more fun the more you think about it: since soraks drop their horns, you already have their body parts in your inventory.

"Show us proof that soraks exist!"

Me, a French adventurer with a piece of soraks' body in my backpack: "HOW?!"
To be fair, it'd be easy to explain away with two lines about the council dismissing the horns as probably belonging to some other reptile. Especially given that some of them would have reasons to dismiss the evidence, wink-wink. But yeah, the way it is, it's quite funny.

Acrux

Arcane
Especially given that some of them would have reasons to dismiss the evidence, wink-wink.
What? Are you suggesting that one of the council members might be hiding a major secret about the soraks? What a shock! None of them telegraph that at all - it would come as a complete surprise!

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm starting to enjoy this more and more.
This janky "placeholder the game" is a really good antidote after the WotR MUH EPIC STUFF overload.

Luv 'ardcore PnP adaptation.
Luv killin' gublins.
Simple as.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom