Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Solasta has to come up with something new.

Yes, but they could picked something new which fells more otherworldly, like for example, a cataclysm warlock. As for DDO, last time I checked, there is not "carceri storm" warlock pact in PHB and is my favorite WLK pact in DDO. Warlock point is to fell otherworldly and weird.

rojay

Scholar
are there any good custom adventures that take you to level 12? I wanna try the new classes but can't bring myself to play the OC again
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2867325315

Goes from 1 to 12. If you do everything its probably 25ish hours. I consider the combat to be moderate on authentic. Scavenger feels good to me though.
Definitely recommend that one, assuming it's yours Artyoan? However, I'm pretty sure it took me more like 35, and I found it pretty challenging on Authentic.

I do suck, though.

I don't know all the details, but it looks like they're still adding features to the toolset; this time it was bosses, I think. I suspect there will be more and even better custom adventures coming out in the next month or two. The problem is that as they add more features to the tools, I'm less inclined to go back and play adventures that were released before the additions...

Artyoan

Arbiter
are there any good custom adventures that take you to level 12? I wanna try the new classes but can't bring myself to play the OC again
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2867325315

Goes from 1 to 12. If you do everything its probably 25ish hours. I consider the combat to be moderate on authentic. Scavenger feels good to me though.
Definitely recommend that one, assuming it's yours Artyoan? However, I'm pretty sure it took me more like 35, and I found it pretty challenging on Authentic.

I do suck, though.

I don't know all the details, but it looks like they're still adding features to the toolset; this time it was bosses, I think. I suspect there will be more and even better custom adventures coming out in the next month or two. The problem is that as they add more features to the tools, I'm less inclined to go back and play adventures that were released before the additions...
Yep. I never did time any of my playthroughs and since I know where everything is and is not, its won't be all that accurate anyway. I don't stealth where I don't need to either, which no one else knows on a first playthrough. I put 15+ hours in the description but the player would have to bypass half the combat to accomplish anything near that low.

I played it on authentic twice with entirely different parties and thought it was about right. I've had a handful of people tell me it was too hard and some said it was boss battle difficulty nearly every fight which I took as a neutral statement. Results may vary greatly, it seems.

I may change the final boss fight with some of those additions to the DM. But that won't be for weeks or months. They already have some reported bugs when they attempt a legendary move. You're definitely right about how each DM patch will send prior campaigns into a graveyard of sorts. I'm unlikely to play anything made prior to early 2022 at least. The early stuff is rough.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This game improved a lot?

I see the main complaint is linearity
Solasta is another example of the resurgence of good, squad-based tactics games in the last few years. The developer did not make much of an attempt to emulate D&D exploration, either in the dungeon or the wilderness, so the encounter zones are largely linear, as is the overall structure of the game. Also, since it's based on "D&D 5th Edition", the party size is a mere four player-characters. Those are the chief limitations of the game.

Well, those and the fact that the developers obviously wanted to use the Dragonlance setting but lacked the license for it. :M

Artyoan

Arbiter
Fuck 4 party members limit, bring back 6 members parties! And fuck concentration too!
The community mod is now defunct, but will be updated and called Unfinished Business, and will still include the ability to use 6 party members. Should be out in December sometime. Of those who played with six party members in my campaign, I had reported issues with teleporters though. No idea if that part is fixed in any way in the new mod.

Still, six man is possible. Likely to be made more workable as time goes on.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There are games that had 7, 8, 10 and more. I'm not sure how many in Magdarr games. It is either 8, 10, or maybe 12. Creating a party is time consuming and annoying.

Edit --- let me be clear, creating a party in the aardvark software games is annoying. Each alt has a huge password you must remember to type when forming your party and saving each alt.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/3472866696379731436

Inner Strength Hotfix #1 - v1.4.28 Patch Notes
Changelog
  • Fixed a very bad bug that would make the game hang up during enemies' turn.
  • Fixed the newly added spells missing their vocal spellcasting component.
  • Fixed the warning message popping up everytime you used loot all on the ground (get off my back game, I can carry all that loot and you know it. Let me be a loot goblin)
  • Fixed the lute being held the wrong way when spellcasting. You've got to pluck the cords, my bard, not knock on the wooden side.
  • Fixed Ranger Marskman's Fast Aim not properly working on all ranged weapons
  • Fixed the placeholder Snow Tiger appearing as a choice for Kindred Spirit Druids
  • Removed faulty placeholder pregen characters. Bye bye HopeBard08, we won't miss you.
  • Fixed Monks being unable to use Martial Arts bonus attack when holding a torch
  • Fixed Bards have a restricted selection of skills at level 1
  • Fixed a random german subtitle line that appeared in the tavern cutscene at the beginning of CotM. My dude got so drunk that they started speaking german.
  • Fixed the Elf Female Face 01 having changed by mistake
  • Fixed the Draconic Sorcerer Elemental Affinity scaling into infinity, allowing for 100+ damage cantrips. Some say that jet fuel can't melt steel beams, but bugged fire bolts sure can.
  • Fixed the Winter Wolf being removed from the Dungeon Maker by mistake.
Some known issues we're working on
  • Items can currently be
    permanently deleted in the inventory the following ways - DO NOT DO THIS
    before we release a new fix:
  • Drag & Dropping a stack of items (torches, candles, javelins, darts...) on an equipped slot (such as your weapon slot) will delete whatever was there. You think turning water into wine is impressive? Watch me turn this +2 longsword of doom into a 1d4 damage dart.
  • If your inventory is large enough to have a scroll bar, if you have only one item in the last row, drag and dropping it back into your inventory will delete it. It's like a magic trick, but a very crappy one because you don't get the item back later.
  • Warlock Invocations can't be swapped during level up in multiplayer - trying to do so will simply delete an invocation without giving you another one to swap with. If you really need to swap an invocation, save before leveling, level up in solo, save again and load that new save in multiplayer.
  • There's a very weird bug that makes some character values got banana, granting some players up to 40 AC, 4 attacks per turn (those blessed by RNG) and for others removing the ability to Extra Attack or being stuck at 0 Ki Points (those who got crapped on by RNG). We're working on a fix that will restore balance to this world.
  • High Elves Bards can't use Ritual Casting at the moment. We're working on making the feature racism-free.
Dev Stream on Monday 21st
We'll also be holding a Dev Stream on Twitch Monday 21st at 9 am PST / 12 pm EST / 6 pm CET to talk about the new update and answer your questions^^

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You think turning water into wine is impressive? Watch me turn this +2 longsword of doom into a 1d4 damage dart.

:lol:

Some known issues we're working on
  • Items can currently be
    permanently deleted in the inventory the following ways - DO NOT DO THIS
    before we release a new fix:
  • Drag & Dropping a stack of items (torches, candles, javelins, darts...) on an equipped slot (such as your weapon slot) will delete whatever was there. You think turning water into wine is impressive? Watch me turn this +2 longsword of doom into a 1d4 damage dart.
  • If your inventory is large enough to have a scroll bar, if you have only one item in the last row, drag and dropping it back into your inventory will delete it. It's like a magic trick, but a very crappy one because you don't get the item back later.
  • Warlock Invocations can't be swapped during level up in multiplayer - trying to do so will simply delete an invocation without giving you another one to swap with. If you really need to swap an invocation, save before leveling, level up in solo, save again and load that new save in multiplayer.
  • There's a very weird bug that makes some character values got banana, granting some players up to 40 AC, 4 attacks per turn (those blessed by RNG) and for others removing the ability to Extra Attack or being stuck at 0 Ki Points (those who got crapped on by RNG). We're working on a fix that will restore balance to this world.
  • High Elves Bards can't use Ritual Casting at the moment. We're working on making the feature racism-free.

Looks like that cultural exchange program with the Owlcats is paying dividends.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Pretty happy with the DLC overall. The paid sponsor streams they went for also had an emphasis on the dungeon maker which makes sense seeing as there is no official campaign release with this. Also makes me hopeful they are going to push for more DM related updates. I would rather go that way since I appear to still like to humor my autism with lego block style creations, apparently.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, Warlock in WoW(classic) fells more warlockesque aka otherworldly than here in Solasta. I'm not joking, WoW has a lot of bad mechanics but in this particular aspect, WoW is amazing. Not only the spells and abilities fells moer warlockyesque but also the unique quests involving getting tomes and summoning demons in a sigil to subjulgate them and only after it, be able to summon them as your servant seems much more interesting than just picking abilities in a level up screen.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Honestly, Warlock in WoW(classic) fells more warlockesque aka otherworldly than here in Solasta. I'm not joking, WoW has a lot of bad mechanics but in this particular aspect, WoW is amazing. Not only the spells and abilities fells moer warlockyesque but also the unique quests involving getting tomes and summoning demons in a sigil to subjulgate them and only after it, be able to summon them as your servant seems much more interesting than just picking abilities in a level up screen.
I agree about a lot of WoW classes and their design. I haven't played the released 'Classic' version but I did play WoW back on its initial release. The Warlock quests as well as the Shaman quests were outstanding class related exclusives that actually felt like the player earned something when got their demon or totem. WoW is the best possible example of how a company can develop something under a philosophy, only to change that philosophy over time without even realizing it. At its outset they put a hyper focus on making each class feel distinct, both with out of combat flavor spells, and in-combat style. Paladins not having a strike was a result of that. Instead, they gave up on that and started to cut and converge.

If it were up to me, Shaman would still be Horde only, Paladins would be Alliance only, each class would feel extremely distinct, out-of-combat utility/flavor would be emphasized, and I wouldn't toss it all to the garbage can just because I want grandma to be able to play and to have every possible class be within 5% damage of each other in a raid. They lost the plot, and the game lost its soul.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I haven't played the released 'Classic' version but I did play WoW back on its initial release. The Warlock quests as well as the Shaman quests were outstanding class related exclusives that actually felt like the player earned something when got their demon or totem.

Agreed. I prefer frost mage but since it is the lowest DPS in WotLK...

IMO instead of this getting spells after leveling up, in D&D, Warlock should perform TASKS for his patron to get the knowledge of the spells and higher level spells should require extremely harsh tasks. And Wizards, should perform lots and lots of experiments, read a lot of books and only after it, learn the spell from the scroll. Because each new magical weapon to the warrior fells earned but each spell for the caster fells free and cheap. If you learn magic from an archfiend, he will not teach how to cast things like Imprisonment for free.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
in oc I ran with shadow ranger. My party was focused on shoves so access to shadow pull seemed good. Also everything had infravision so there was more dmg involved.

Is it the case in lost valley? This new ranger kit bringing extra movement seems strong.

For reference i ran(and planned on recreating that) no magic party, that besides shoves had high ac.
mountaineer ftr, motherland pally, darkweaver rog and shadow ranger.

Rogue still can't use any scrolls/wands right? Or did something change in here

Was holding back on this as I hadn't even finished WOTR (was getting a little fatigued as the amount of trash fights is still off the charts). Damn this is actually real good. That is if you can accept a game that narrative-wise is less about having an epic story, and more about providing a bit of context to pretty fun tactical combat. (I was more invested in Icewind Dale's narrative than this, tbh, Icewind Dale DOES have a pretty decent story for what is essentially a dungeon crawl).

It's also cool to play a CRPG for a bit of a change that:

- doesn't need you to engage in repetitive buff orgies before like every fight
- has fighters being fighters, rather than for the sake of "balance" let them cast non-spells (this is a party game anyway, what does it matter if casters can do more?)
- doesn't have epic +1 +2 +3 magic loot like everywhere, something that seems to have started with BG2 (my party is level 6 and still carrying standard weaponry)
- doesn't have an abundance of talens and feats that mostly bog down to like a +5% increase in hit chance anyway (ok, there could be a bit more options, in particular on level-up)

Mind you, a lot of this is down to the game being based on D&D 5e, but the implemantion seems solid, the combat is fun, there's surprises to be had during travels as well, what's not to like? Also, the production values are on the occasion surprisingly solid for a game from a team of 20. It's fairly uneven (character models, locations). But if somebody would have shown me this shot beforehand, I couldn't have told whether this was BG3 or else (but then, according to Vincke, much of the extra budget of BG3 goes straight into cinematics... MEH!!!1 ).

nowNqjc.jpeg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
any fun community campaign? Main issue with lost valley I have so far is I dont use any shoves

Artyoan

Arbiter
any fun community campaign? Main issue with lost valley I have so far is I dont use any shoves
Community campaigns are more restricted on verticality than the main campaigns are. Extremely rare you would need/want to use shove in any of them. That said, I have one in my signature which is a full 1 to 12 campaign. Shadows over Brightreach is getting good reviews and is 5 to 12 though I have yet to play it.

Here is a list someone made of campaigns by starting level. The steam workshop tag system seems to be not functioning:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2889123353

rojay

Scholar
Community campaigns are more restricted on verticality than the main campaigns are. Extremely rare you would need/want to use shove in any of them. That said, I have one in my signature which is a full 1 to 12 campaign. Shadows over Brightreach is getting good reviews and is 5 to 12 though I have yet to play it.

Here is a list someone made of campaigns by starting level. The steam workshop tag system seems to be not functioning:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2889123353
I thought I'd replied to you, lukaszek, but I guess I didn't. In any event it was mainly going to be to recommend checking out Forsaken Isle, which is Artyoan's joint.

I have also enjoyed Interdimensional Escalations https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2798032262&searchtext=and one or two others. Dude named Silverquick has some Solasta versions of AD&D modules, but I haven't played much of them.

Fighters from a monastery are called... fighters. Monks aren't just "fighters but from a monastery".
The Dnd Monk class is just a mess, it draws inspiration from too many sources, often conflicting. Add to that the fact that it seems like a class intentionally designed to be bad and you are left with a useless aberration.

From experience people that play monks actually want to play one of these:

- Fighters without armor
- Brawlers
- Taoists
- Actual shaolin monks
- Just add some "spiritual inclination" to their base class in the form of a dip
- Generic martial artists, Jet lee, jackie chan, IP man, etc
- A 90s action hero

The class offers a little bit for everyone, but doesnt fully support any of it, this was supposed to be addressed by subclasses, but they dont, at all. Most of the subclasses feel very weak, because most of the subclass features actually clash with the main class features, that is Ki usage and bonus action usage. Its just horribly designed and it really does feel intentional.
never liked the monk anyway, only one I would maybe be interested in would be a mid-evil type monk...maybe a hermit type character would be interesting, but a kung-fu character is dumb and I have no interest and I have never actually made a monk in my life.

Fuck 4 party members limit, bring back 6 members parties! And fuck concentration too!
The community mod is now defunct, but will be updated and called Unfinished Business, and will still include the ability to use 6 party members. Should be out in December sometime. Of those who played with six party members in my campaign, I had reported issues with teleporters though. No idea if that part is fixed in any way in the new mod.

Still, six man is possible. Likely to be made more workable as time goes on.
man I hope so, that would be bad ass and really change the game a bunch for me honestly

Was holding back on this as I hadn't even finished WOTR (was getting a little fatigued as the amount of trash fights is still off the charts). Damn this is actually real good. That is if you can accept a game that narrative-wise is less about having an epic story, and more about providing a bit of context to pretty fun tactical combat. (I was more invested in Icewind Dale's narrative than this, tbh, Icewind Dale DOES have a pretty decent story for what is essentially a dungeon crawl).

It's also cool to play a CRPG for a bit of a change that:

- doesn't need you to engage in repetitive buff orgies before like every fight
- has fighters being fighters, rather than for the sake of "balance" let them cast non-spells (this is a party game anyway, what does it matter if casters can do more?)
- doesn't have epic +1 +2 +3 magic loot like everywhere, something that seems to have started with BG2 (my party is level 6 and still carrying standard weaponry)
- doesn't have an abundance of talens and feats that mostly bog down to like a +5% increase in hit chance anyway (ok, there could be a bit more options, in particular on level-up)

Mind you, a lot of this is down to the game being based on D&D 5e, but the implemantion seems solid, the combat is fun, there's surprises to be had during travels as well, what's not to like? Also, the production values are on the occasion surprisingly solid for a game from a team of 20. It's fairly uneven (character models, locations). But if somebody would have shown me this shot beforehand, I couldn't have told whether this was BG3 or else (but then, according to Vincke, much of the extra budget of BG3 goes straight into cinematics... MEH!!!1 ).

nowNqjc.jpeg
exactly, that is what I said, scrolled out, and especially interior locations this game looks as good as any, and honestly most of the time you are playing scrolled out..so this game looks pretty good, besides is BG3 ever going to be released anyway? like WTF?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
after playing solasta again it became clear to me that what dos2 is missing, is over saturation of skills. Among other things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom