Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Mortmal

Arcane
Am I missing too much from not being able to get user-created content if I just stick to the GOG version? In my experience user created stuff very rarely delivers and it just doesn't feel like it's worth it in the end. Don't think Solasta has a community that's big or active enough to make me change my mind as well.
Some guy made a toe port, his previous modules are ok but unbalanced and hp bloated in the end. The other stuff looks mediocre at best as expected from user made modules with a quite limited toolset. You arent missing much no.

rojay

Scholar
Am I missing too much from not being able to get user-created content if I just stick to the GOG version? In my experience user created stuff very rarely delivers and it just doesn't feel like it's worth it in the end. Don't think Solasta has a community that's big or active enough to make me change my mind as well.
Some guy made a toe port, his previous modules are ok but unbalanced and hp bloated in the end. The other stuff looks mediocre at best as expected from user made modules with a quite limited toolset. You arent missing much no.
Artyoan's two modules are good, and there are a few others. They don't have voice-acting cutscenes, but I wasn't crazy about that aspect of the game in the first place. When the game launched, the tools were pretty bare bones - I don't think there was even the option to add merchants - but they've continued to add things and at this point some of the fan-made content is worth playing. I'd check out some of the top-rated adventures.

Artyoan

Arbiter
You can get user created campaigns on mod.io, as can xbox players. I've got both mine on there. You just put json download in the campaign file and you can then choose it as an adventure. Simple enough.

It was Silverquick who made the Temple of Evil port. I'm not gonna comment on quality because I haven't played it but I believe he tends to favor bottlenecking fights whereas I try to avoid it much of the time. He also designed that to the specifications of the actual module, so its not entirely his call there anyway. It is as written.

At the outset I think all they could do was have a single location dungeon with just monsters, a start, and an end. Had to create multiple files to have a campaign. Not anymore though.

I had 70 hours when I completed both official campaigns. I have 850 after messing with the dungeon maker and more dlc to add to the DM features is probably my most anticipated potential release for any game. But I also spent 100+ hours making Doom 2016 snapmaps that almost no one played, with zero regrets, so I guess autistic lego box creation is just my kind of thing.

Is this an actual good game? The voice acting and story looked like dog shit from when I looked at it last.
Skills and spells have uses outside combat. Contextual spells that don't deal direct damage do have helpful effects in combat, like casting Light and making light-sensitive creatures run away. It's not very deep or complex, but it does feel like a completely average D&D campaign. It's also the first game made by an indie developer. But it's alright IMO.

Crichton

Prophet
Is this an actual good game? The voice acting and story looked like dog shit from when I looked at it last.
The plotting is about up to cRPG standard (crap) but the voice acting is ok (faces and animations are a bit of a sore spot). What makes it good is playing D&D modules built around you using a party of your own creation, no gay plot-critical elves.

The voice acting is mediocre, but the characterization is refreshingly simple. You get the feeling that your group is just a bunch of guys who got to know each other 15 minutes ago when they accepted the job they are given, and none of them is set up to be the "chosen one".

DemonKing

Arcane
It's a good tactical combat game and the ability to use spells like fly, levitate, teleport etc both inside and outside combat is well implemented. The graphics engine is simple but engaging and the spell effects are pretty good.

If you're more into story, lore, dialog etc it's a harder sell. Most of the official modules play a bit like mediocre NWN fan scenarios.

GloomFrost

Arcane
There are couple of decent modules. They are good enough to spend a few evenings and experiment with different builds. BUT....... they are not anywhere close to NWN level of community content.

DemonKing

Arcane
Is the Lost Valley dlc as broken as all the steam reviews make it out to be?
It's not broken but it's easy to lock yourself out of particular quests/factions and I had to stop playing for a while as some quests were bugged (since patched out). The main game quest line is definitely more interesting/engaging but even that wasn't anything exceptional.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
lost valley story is better than vanilla. However its worse gameplay wise and there are issues like crafting a rapier, not being able to equip it and finally reading on the net that its bard exclusive weapon but they didnt tag it properly

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It could theoretically be a good tactical game, but the encounters are terrible and same-y.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mediocre graphics and voice acting, combined with a good implementation of the 5th edition D&D ruleset and an slightly above average story. A good example of what an idiegame should be.

If you don't get your hopes up to high, you should enjoy this.

Artyoan

Arbiter
There are couple of decent modules. They are good enough to spend a few evenings and experiment with different builds. BUT....... they are not anywhere close to NWN level of community content.
I didn't play enough NWN user content to make a comparison but the gameplay in Solasta is far better anyway. The DM is still being worked on and hopefully their next game is built around the concept from the ground up. Over time we can have a better comparison between the two as to community involvement. Might just be hitting its stride.

jackofshadows

Magister
Not really. The story and the VO are indeed dog shit but the dnd tacticool combat is where the game shines best… except there's too few good encounters in vanilla. There's plenty of supposedly good user made campains however so if you get a hard on from the idea of clearing a dungeon with more or less classic party of adventures then you might give sibj a try anyway.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Not really. The story and the VO are indeed dog shit but the dnd tacticool combat is where the game shines best… except there's too few good encounters in vanilla. There's plenty of supposedly good user made campains however so if you get a hard on from the idea of clearing a dungeon with more or less classic party of adventures then you might give sibj a try anyway.
I'm about to go on a murder spree of other people's user campaigns so I can play something for the first time in hundreds of hours that I don't already know every detail of. Meanwhile, I'm sometimes watching streams of my own campaigns on youtube/twitch. Good start to the new year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom