Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My two cents is that it is fun for one run, but I don't see much point in replaying it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Codex in 2023, when classic RPGs like TOEE are shit on for having "nothing but the rules" and 5E Solasta is praised for it's "many systems".
Not quite related but I'd much rather have a limited set of tools that I need to get creative with than a boatload of stuff which are tailored to very specific situations.

Artyoan

Arbiter
With regards to another campaign, Lost Valley didn't give me a shred of confidence. It's a tiny step forward and two large steps back - essentially the map is better, but except for a few highlights, the encounters are even more copy-pasted and uninteresting.
I'm more optimistic. Lost Valley would have been released when there was barely any DM content and props in the DM show signs of progress toward a better understanding of how to allow for interesting area design. Its good enough that at this point if they let me customize enemy spell parameters (not the spells, just the parameters), put in more props for verticality (similar to castle walls, though floor raising/lowering by some method would be best), and let adds automatically latch into battle with the same encounter number then I'd feel the only thing holding me back would be myself and not the DM.

The devs have said content for the DM has to come from official campaigns to be worth the cost. So even if the official campaign somehow sucks, it still feeds the real beast.

I'm not a fan of them hiding half of the game's classes behind a paywall though...
I'm not either but I'm much more willing to tolerate it for a small company working off kickstarter. I'd be butthurt if it was a massive company.
That much is true, and the DLC are cheap anyways. I wonder if they'll do the inevitable Enhanced Edition in the near future.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And done with the crown of the magefag campaign. Had fun but no urge to replay it.
Gonna either try Lost Valley with a party of barbarian, paladin, fighter and ranger or take a crack at Artyoan's modules.

Artyoan

Arbiter
And done with the crown of the magefag campaign. Had fun but no urge to replay it.
Gonna either try Lost Valley with a party of barbarian, paladin, fighter and ranger or take a crack at Artyoan's modules.
I played a couple other short user campaigns, now running back through the forsaken isle to rebalance the final battle with new creatures, then gonna return to user campaigns. Won't be a major change but the final battle will be different. Lost Valley isn't bad but the faction alignment ended up being clear as mud and my ending was a massive buzzkill for me.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
what was your party/kits? Barbarians at glance seem like weaker paladins to me... Also require more frequent long rest than casters?

Artyoan

Arbiter
I played a couple other short user campaigns
Any you recommend?
I played Destined to be Loveless which I liked the story, some of it told through enemy/item descriptions and has to be figured out via inference which I loved, but it was made when a lot of features weren't available so the basic gameplay suffers a lot for it.

Working on Depths of Darkness, which just came out, and should get to level 5 for exporting characters at the end, to then import them into Shadows over Brightreach. Heard nothing but good things about Shadows over Brightreach too.

I've been looking for modules with more story elements but I actually have an itch to make a pure combat campaign with somewhat randomized maps/vendors/combat.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
what was your party/kits?
Barbarian, rogue, cleric and sorceror. Barbarian with decent dex + path of stone is good for only three things- hitting hard, being hard to hit and taking hard hits when they do connect. Path of stone + ac boosting items and feats will make him practically untouchable.
Until the very last round of combat in the game, he stayed consistently above 60% hp.

Also require more frequent long rest than casters?
Not at all. One use of rage is enough for each fight, more or less.

Sneak attack is broken as fuck though, damn.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Sneak attack is broken as fuck though, damn.
how so? it actually lags behind end game when other classes get extra attack while you can still sneak attack once.
Although at the beginning, when you can re stealth and shoot bow, it is amazing

Barbarian, rogue, cleric and sorceror.
You? with caster party?

anyway you are going to enjoy no caster ones, I did in both campaigns. No need for heals when your paladin and ftr cant get hit. Id do whole maps without resting - I always like to limit them

Parabalus

Arcane
Found blade warlock to be very effective, 2h attacks for deeps, with high level spells always.

Repulsing blast also destroys spiders, they are immune to shoves, but still get knocked back into the abyss by eldritch blasts.

The +1 spell item costing 17k is hilarious though.

Gahbreeil

Learned
I'm playing the base game only as a wizard/leader, paladin, rogue, cleric team and the game is brilliant! I really like everything about it except for the setting and plot and I am usually a Real-Time with Pause kind of a person. It deserves an easy 7/10
by the time the party ventures upon the quest to find the second gem.
The interface is intuitive and the division of the map into tiles with altitude layers is genuinely brilliant. You can even fly around. It deserves a place just beside the Temple of Elemental Evil as the best Turn-Based Western Role-Playing Games.

If it was set in the Forgotten Realms this game would be a 9/10 for me. Also, I wish there was dual-classing.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I'm playing the base game only as a wizard/leader, paladin, rogue, cleric team and the game is brilliant! I really like everything about it except for the setting and plot and I am usually a Real-Time with Pause kind of a person. It deserves an easy 7/10
by the time the party ventures upon the quest to find the second gem.
The interface is intuitive and the division of the map into tiles with altitude layers is genuinely brilliant. You can even fly around. It deserves a place just beside the Temple of Elemental Evil as the best Turn-Based Western Role-Playing Games.

If it was set in the Forgotten Realms this game would be a 9/10 for me. Also, I wish there was dual-classing.
There is a mod called Unfinished Business on github that has an enormous amount of new subclasses, multiclassing, and settings. I haven't used it yet, though I will. But its highly likely to be what you want, though using it mid-campaign wouldn't be advised.

Anyone finding Solasta to be stale should check it out. And then check out user campaigns.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If it was set in the Forgotten Realms this game would be a 9/10 for me.
Rather than attempting to obtain the license for the worst D&D/AD&D setting ever created, the developers of Solasta would have been better served by acquiring the rights to use the Dragonlance setting, rather than merely ripping it off with the game world overall being vague or incoherent. :M

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I'm tempted to give Lost Valley 10/10 solely because I am not running out of elves to kill. So many elves especially in the secret prison.
Honestly it's got a better plothook compared to the crown of the magefag, and the jungle vibes is nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom