Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some GTA4 questions

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Had always a love and hate relationship with these games and this is no different. Really love the environment, characters and it's good that it got less cartoonish imo. Teh imershun is awesome.
But like in previous games there are some gameplay issues that drives me mad and makes me want to quit it after hour of play or so. Maybe some of you, who played the game several years ago when it came out know some mods or something that fixes this:

1) if failing having to restart mission right from your safehouse, going to marker spot, skipping the cutscene and driving all the way from point A to point B just to retry it. What the fuck is wrong with Rockstar and their idiotic insistence on not allowing even intermediate saves (like, before starting car chase or getting into shootout)? I don't even as for quicksave function, but this shit? I spend more time (re)driving to places than actually doing mission stuff.

2) car handling it stupid. It's like we're in Norilsk and driving on plain ice, while being blown off the road by heavy winds. Some say it's ''realistic'', but i don't think so. I know there are several car handling mods. Which one you recommend?

3) I don't really enjoy the lack of option to have fixed camera behind car, when driving. Tried this mod
http://www.gta4-mods.com/script/centered-car-camera-v121-f28157, but gives heavu glitches. Like camera suddenly fixating on the cutscene place and not allowing to see where i'm driving. Couldn't find alternatives. I'm sort of getting used to the new system, but not giving option to use the classic is retarded.

4) fucking running. Nico will always SPRINTS, making rush moves in on direction or the other. Why is there no option to simply jog all the way like in ALL previous GTA games. His jerky Usein Bolt sprint move makes it impossible to control his movement properly in tight spaces, especially when you are in a ''tight spot'', guns blazing and all.

Why in fuck devs always remove good things from the previous games? And i really want to love this game and Rockstar are bros overall, but these little things ruin my nerves. :argh:

I agree about 1st point, though GTA4 was so easy I failed very rarely so it wasn't that big of an issue. Episodes From Liberty City fix this by introducing checkpoints.
Car handling I don't have a problem with, I found it tons of fun, still do, easily the best driving series had to date and simple enough to master imo. Maybe it's better in 5 though, remains to be seen by me.
Don't really get the third point either, never had a problems with a camera like the ones you mention. Unless you're playing with gamepad, which is a horrible way to play this game imo. I found driving camera to be a pain in the ass when I tried the pad, among other things.
I don't think Nico always sprints unless you set him to do so in options. Run toggle? And when you are in a tight spot you should be using aiming mode, which allows you to move fast enough and even sprint and in general works similarly to FPS. Movement shouldn't be an issue. And NEVER use cover system, it's a compromise for gamepads, nothing else. You never ever need it in this game.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Car handling I don't have a problem with, I found it tons of fun, still do, easily the best driving series had to date and simple enough to master imo. Maybe it's better in 5 though, remains to be seen by me.
Well, i'm not far into the game and my driving skills have started to improve so i guess it's not really a real issue. I've learned that it is better to drive semi-slow, when chasing someone just keep the required distance avoiding the ''the fucker got away'' message, instead of driving like mad Schummacher on speed. Driving fast just doesn't pay off unless you have very good twitch skills/reaction. Still, most cars seem like blobs of pudding that wiggle around even in simplest maneuvers, which is why i've started to opt for stealing police cars, who's handling is much smoother especially on high speeds. Hummer is even better, but given that game doesn't allow saving cars on permanent terms like in previous games, it takes too much time to acquire one for the next given mission if you lost the last one and didn't get it back to parking lot.
Don't really get the third point either, never had a problems with a camera like the ones you mention. Unless you're playing with gamepad, which is a horrible way to play this game imo. I found driving camera to be a pain in the ass when I tried the pad, among other things.
I don't play with pad. I still liked the previous use of camera a lot better. Imo the ability to rotate camera in full 3D, while driving is nothing more than another pseudo cinematic gimmick and impedes the full control of your vehicle. It's only normal for camera to be always behind your car's butt to see where you're going. Making you constantly use mouse to pan camera where it should be aimed at means you can't have full focus un driving and avoiding obstacles. Even worse if you also have to do some drive-by shooting. I don't have tentacle arms and would probably be miserable in flight sims, where you have to use almost all of the keyboard to stay under control.
I don't think Nico always sprints unless you set him to do so in options. Run toggle?
Run toggle means that Nico is in sprint mode by default and starts to jog, when he runs out of steam. I would prefer the old system, when you jog by default on ''always run'' and have to hold SHIFT or something make a sprint (super fast running). There is no need to sprint everywhere while on foot, unless you run from cops and in sprint mode Nico is much less maneuverable, he needs to stop on the stop to change directions. Why no option to ''always jog''. Maybe there is some mod that allows it? I skimmed that huge site of gta4 mods and didn't find one.

Making you constantly use mouse to pan camera where it should be aimed at means you can't have full focus un driving and avoiding obstacles. Even worse if you also have to do some drive-by shooting.

I can't agree with this at all, I was always using mouse to move the camera around since the times of San Andreas, having the camera always snapped behind the car means I'd be crashing more, not less. I don't have any problems keeping camera behind car manually either. It's especially needed once you start to shoot from car more often, because doing drive-by is completely different from previous games, you now have a full 360 degree aim.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well, that's your preference. It still should be optional and it's not like it would be pain in the ass to include it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If you want to drive fast in GTA4 the steal a sports car FFS! Don't drive a family econobox and expect to be able to do 90 degree turns at 150 km/h without flying off the road.

And once you get used to looking with the mouse when driving the system is far superior to a fixed camera since you can actually see where you're going before you start to turn, so you can avoid obstacles that would have been impossible to spot in time with a fixed camera.

Yeah that's another thing, cars tend to have BIG driving differences between one another, it's not something like Sleeping Dogs where pretty much every car handles similarly. Eventually you'll find the ones you like to drive most.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well, i already said that police cars are the best. They're not super fast, but are very steady. Sports cars suck, because even with supposedly good handling you jut can't drive 300km/h and expect to not fly off the track at some point. And they are easily rammed.

Anyhow, lack of sane save system and jogging option for me is the most annoying. I can handle the driving.

pippin

Wasn't this the one who got removed lots of content in a recent "update"?
Fake edit: Oh, it was San Andreas. I don't know, bro, why can't they keep a normal numeration with their series.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
SA didn't have a number. Probably because it was the same engine that the first two 3D games. It didn't remove any stuff. There were some derp decisions with some stuff, but they weren't intrusive like in IV.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Well, i already said that police cars are the best. They're not super fast, but are very steady. Sports cars suck, because even with supposedly good handling you jut can't drive 300km/h and expect to not fly off the track at some point. And they are easily rammed.
Oh dear, you have to use the brakes sometimes when racing cars? The horror!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Can someone really explain to me what the fuck genius idea is behind the design decision of forcing player to spend 2/3 of the game time traveling to places, where mission is supposed to trigger? I understand it's a driving game, but if i wanted a driver simulator i'd probably choose one of these truck driver games. How impossible is it to set a fucking checkpoint autosave in the place where mission actually starts? Engine limitation? It has been like that since beginning of series so obviously there is some incentive behind that. I want to know that it is.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Can someone clarify if 911 ''call the police'' service works or is bugged? I wanted to try and provoke cops helping me into assaulting the old hospital full of thugs, but it never came. I think i left Nico waiting for 5 mins at least. Patched to .7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom