Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some more emoticons?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
What is the chance of getting some more emoticons? Something like these:

look.gif

eyebrow.gif

clap.gif

Jed

Cipher
I say do away with the :roll: emoticon, and then Volourn's ability to communicate will be crippled forever! Muhahahah!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
RP, you once posted a great image of a raving party made from emoticons. That was fantastic!

Psilon

Erudite
Nah. Next thing you know, we'll have the return of DAC's Goatse emoticon.

Personally, I think the ones we have are too numerous.

Psilon

Erudite
Greyhawk said:
Emoticons are wonderful. They allow you to describe something without thinking of how to say it in words. Yes, more emoticons, definitely.

Yes, those verbal communications skills are vastly overrated, after all. (Actually, there's a pretty obvious positive correlation between emoticon use and bad English.)

Besides, how frequently do people actually describe with emoticons? Seriously, almost all emoticon posts fall into two categories:
  1. Zero-content posts. ("LOL :D", or attaching :roll: to everything.)
  2. Sarcasm/irony indicators. (Azael's reply exemplifies both this category and the misspelling correlation.)

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Exactly. It's those zero content posts that I have trouble putting into words.

And barf emoticon, wow, haven't thought of that, but certainly that would be most useful.

Spazmo

Erudite
If it was up to me, we'd have no emoticons at all. Smilies are a crutch for stupid people who can't figure out how to say something without them. If you can't say it with proper words, don't say it at all.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We can just get rid of all them and go old skool style ; ) to show that we are keeping it real :lol:

Psilon

Erudite
Ahh, category two, I see. I'm not going to claim total purity on the emoticon front (though I'm pretty close), but I agree that they're a crutch for the mentally lazy. It's like complaining that proofreading one's posts takes too long, so the rest of us have to suffer the irregular spacing and constant typos.

jvn3t

Novice
But if we get more emoticons, can we still keep our dental plan?

I say fuck 'em. They've never done anything for me.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
XJEDX said:
I say do away with the :roll: emoticon, and then Volourn's ability to communicate will be crippled forever! Muhahahah!

Ha. I had the same thought.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'll go rip off some of DAC's emoticons.

Say, where did you get the third one? I'm looking for the set of emoticons that looks just like the ones on PHPBB. Same theme, I mean. I can't fucking find it anywhere!

EEVIAC

Erudite
What is the chance of getting some more emoticons?

Great idea! Can we start using cool words like shiznat as well?!?

(Let me try that again.)

I second Spazmo's motion to get rid of all smileys. I'd also like a filter than bans the word "lol."

Severian Silk

I could make one if you want. I don't know if your forum code supports that...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom