Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some questions from a storyfag who doesn't agree with other storyfags

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:bravo:

EG

Nullified
You need to work on creating short, concise, and relevant sentences. How about we do an exercise? For every 5 sentences you've wrote, you must now rewrite their contents into one sentence. GO!

A storyfag is someone who cares about and hyper-focuses on the story to an exhaustive degree. There is no mystery -- if this is the stereotype that you identify with but dislike, step back and try to gain a new perspective, rather than rally against the word and the community that uses it.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Now these latter replies are certainly more interesting and up to par.

I'm certainly a horrible communicator. At no point in my entire internet forum life have I made a passionate topic which meant dearly to me and not be accused of trolling. There is nothing inconcise about this thread however.

(nearly 9000 word post)

:salute:

It's literally like 8700 words, what the fuck man.

EG

Nullified
:salute:

It's literally like 8700 words, what the fuck man.

mgbez.png

I'm sorry, it's been a slow morning . . . I had to confirm it.

Retinue

Novice
You need to work on creating short, concise, and relevant sentences. How about we do an exercise? For every 5 sentences you've wrote, you must now rewrite their contents into one sentence. GO!

A storyfag is someone who cares about and hyper-focuses on the story to an exhaustive degree. There is no mystery -- if this is the stereotype that you identify with but dislike, step back and try to gain a new perspective, rather than rally against the word and the community that uses it.

Ok...here's my one sentence to you: A storyfag is someone who cares about and hyper-focuses on the story to an exhaustive degree.

Here's my 2nd sentence to you: My reply and my thread has nothing to do with like or dislike as just because you dislike something doesn't mean you aren't one depending on what the definition says.

Here's my third sentence you: Have you considered the possibility that maybe it's the other way around and because you are hearing a rarer perspective it comes off newer to you and thus your misunderstanding stems from your inability to step back and see the forest from the trees?

Anyway, so the Codex is now 50% trolls. Oh well. Some of the threads still looked decent before I made the thread. My last reply someone told me to stay awhile. Guess there's not much point in replying after this. Goodbye then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not that 50% of the people are trolls. It's that every person on the Codex is a half-troll. :smug:

Phelot

Arcane
This sounds like the RPG version of this guy:

WBvPx.jpg

Lying deep within the awareness of the human mind is a doorway to the fulfillment of man’s yearning for the realization of his own Divine Perfection. Past the tapestry woven by the illusionary limitations of space and time is the discovery of the infinite reaches of Universal Mind. Beyond this portal lies the compelling experience of the marriage of religion and science, the merger of psychology and philosophy, and the integration of heart and mind. Bound no longer by form, concept or fear, this point of communication with God is remembered as the experience of Singular Reality Itself. The merger of energy (Light) and form into a single field of vision within human consciousness is the most revolutionary event in the evolution of the species. The conversion of matter to light involves the full participation of the apparent body organization. Known in religious vernacular as the resurrection, this metamorphosis transfigures the body and merges it with the single field of consciousness we recognize as the Source of Creation. It is a moment of a singular occurrence in all of Universal Reality in which we escape our own captivity from space and time. The Master Teacher’s credential is the transmission of the power of Resurrected Mind into the sleeping mind of this dream world.

Retinue

Novice
It's not that 50% of the people are trolls. It's that every person on the Codex is a half-troll. :smug:

I guess this is just me lashing back but I dare say the last couple of posts for example, at least to me, shows me that if these are the ones who you consider half-trolls then they are among the worst half-trolls I've encountered but I'm looking at it more from an intellectual witty and especially stealthy standard.

I have a particular obsession towards half-trolling because the beauty of half-trolls is not just the trolling part but it's the opposite effect. The generic half-troll for example maybe more stealthy but once revealed only provides shits and giggles. The best half-trolls make even forum veterans paranoid which in turn converts decent retards into full retard trolls not just in a single instant but almost for eternity and in some ways their talent is what creates the modern "legit user accusing any unorthodox thread as trollbait and reacting back with an image or a badly comparable quote but making they or the entire community find it cool and a legit comeback" effect.

Tl;dr: A decent half-troll produces nearly the same effect on another person (even if this is just one person) that is akin to how a storyfag game can hook an actual storyfag as opposed to people that simply act or fit some criteria of storyfaggotry but were in truth lured in by some mildly shiny effect like handsome bland characters, emo plot twist interpretations and plot points appealing only because they are wrapped in quests.

Of course this all assumes the initiator was a troll. But no one knows which is why legit threads like this can come off as one because they are rare possibly in length and rare possibly in how exhaustive a TS replies to the details and flaws of the counterpoints of the repliers.

I particularly focus on the two posters who posted the two vague metaphyshitist type of quotes. At first, I was like :) (sorry not going to bother with an image) but then it was so bad that I feel sorry for them wasting their time finding a quote worse than the pity I felt for those who posted the lame and cliched and overused caption image trolls. I mean I wanted to laugh. I wanted to find the punchline. I like the starting point but then it was just bad because the only analogy that makes those posts worthy are the comparison of tl;dr and incoherency but the meat of the details are so far off, I would hope those guys would be full trolling because all they made was a repeated point of other accusers but they made full of fail that the only way I could see why the Citizen Kane clapping gif was even handed out was either because of the low standards the poster may have or because they were only looking at the surface.

Simply put, the only half-troll I consider here would be EG and by apologizing that it was a slow morning, in many ways EG either admits he wasn't half-trolling or he had little faith in his own half-trolling. It's just bad man. I really don't want to disagree. But it's just bad to consider everyone half-trolls. I just have to totally block this out even though this is a vain reply that again may be more about my lashing back but tl;dr over a worthless point of not, I just can't accept your assertion even if you've written it in a half-joking manner. It's like if I do, I'd spent half of the entire day just laughing and laughing. Vain, hollow, hyperbole, bad comeback, yeah you can say that but this is just my sincere irrational reaction to your assertion. I just need to make this reply or I'll keep saying in my head: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=no you

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You know that dl;dr is supposed to come at the end of the post, preceding a VERY short summary of said post. It's not meant to precede a wall of text twice as big as the one before it.

Also, if you're so intellectual and witty, you should, in theory, be able to express yourself without the systematic wall of text approach. Let me show you : your above post, deprived of the unnecessary ego masterbation, could be summarized as : "Codex trolls are shitty trolls. I pity them."
See ? That's what should come after the tl;dr.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I tried reading your postings. I honestly did. Somewhere halfway on the second, the supposedly "more concise" reply I came to realize what utter waste of time writing a proper reply would be. You are prosper mark II. The first model at least had the decency to keep its drivel short and contained.

I mean I wanted to to brofist. I wanted to find the point. I like the starting point but then it was just bad because there was no sane argument and the rest trailed off into completely incoherent HERPA DERPA HURR DURRR HURRR.

A worthy try, but a try it will remain.

Also; why is Citizen Cane clapping? Is he clapping to applaud the stellar performance? Or is he clapping because he is a stubborn old man who is used to forcing his will upon others? By degrading himself he is also shaming the rest of the audience?

NewFag

Educated
I'm not sure if this is deliberate trolling or asperger's. It's a waste of brain power and time to even read this man's mad ramblings. It actually takes some skill to use that many words but say almost nothing.

Retinue

Novice
You know that dl;dr is supposed to come at the end of the post, preceding a VERY short summary of said post. It's not meant to precede a wall of text twice as big as the one before it.

Also, if you're so intellectual and witty, you should, in theory, be able to express yourself without the systematic wall of text approach. Let me show you : your above post, deprived of the unnecessary ego masterbation, could be summarized as : "Codex trolls are shitty trolls. I pity them."
See ? That's what should come after the tl;dr.

I never claimed I was witty or intellectual.

That's also the wrong summary. I would elaborate but it would be tl;dr.

(The above sentence does not make it any much clearer. In fact it makes it much vaguer. If you had not understood my point already and then you were to read this reply, you would only surmise that either I am in denial as to not come off embarassed or that I'm simply a newfag jerk. Maybe tl;dr should be at the end, maybe it shouldn't. In the end though slang formality just like proper grammar is but a key to a discussion and not an end to itself. At the same time, I do express myself without the systematic wall of text when there is no need. The one reply here where I wrote shorter replies strangely does not get trolled, poked fun of or rephrased for trolling for example even if it's still longer than a normal concise posts. Of course now that I mentioned it, there's no reason as to say it won't as now the trolls/half-trolls can claim I simply spoke too soon. Either way the analysis of trolling does not really belong in this thread so i'm not going to pay much attention to this further. If anyone wants an explanation or proof for why my last post does not match with the summary pay particular attention to these lines (take them seriously if you must but most importantly take them as part of a whole. I'm only clipping them as to highlight that they are keys)

it was so bad that I feel sorry for them wasting their time finding a quote worse than the pity I felt for those who posted the lame and cliched and overused caption image trolls.

I just have to totally block this out even though this is a vain reply that again may be more about my lashing back but tl;dr over a worthless point of not, I just can't accept your assertion

this is just my sincere irrational reaction to your assertion. I just need to make this reply or I'll keep saying in my head: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=no you

One last addendum: The idea that trolls anywhere is not shitty is itself an oxymoronic statement. Even the idea that trolls are not up to par can be itself fodder for trolls to play with. No making a short quick statement does not help. It's trollbaiting and the more butthurt trolls are the more they post. I posted the above for my own sanity hence the wording.

Maybe one needs to experience a scenario for example where something irrational happens in their life and they can't just stop laughing or getting pissed or groaning or face palming about it way after it has happened. This is a micro-example of those situations but if you haven't experienced it, let me just say you need some sort of release even a minor one or else it will eat up your day regardless whether you're doing something worthwhile or mundane. It's also why I linked a wording rather than just typed it. You let a phrase enter your head and regardless of how irrational it is that it might affect you, it affects you. Even after I did it this way, I had to take a couple of minutes to erase the thought of the word from my head. Anyway I already provided enough hints so hopefully this stops any more talk about trolls and we can get back to talking about the thread to those who want to and the rest of the crap can go away. As for me, the feeling is over. I hold no desire to talk about trolls and I'm leaning towards not talking to anyone as the forum was verified to be 50% about trolls. I'm just waiting to see if there are any more decent replies but from this point (and really even before I wrote my last post) as per the comment by the user, I have long been ignoring the trolls. The last reply was just a special circumstance.

Retinue, the problem isn't writing a lot of words, it's the fact that even after reading all of them I'm not sure what you're complaining about, if you're even complaining at all. It reads like a lecture, I just keep nodding, expecting a question mark to pop up so I can formulate an answer. but instead of asking "What do you think" at the end like a teacher would, you pack up your stuff and get out of the classroom without even saying goodbye.

Retinue

Novice
Retinue, the problem isn't writing a lot of words, it's the fact that even after reading all of them I'm not sure what you're complaining about, if you're even complaining at all. It reads like a lecture, I just keep nodding, expecting a question mark to pop up so I can formulate an answer. but instead of asking "What do you think" at the end like a teacher would, you pack up your stuff and get out of the classroom without even saying goodbye.

...at least you're getting close.

I'll say you at least sound sincere so I will point out the obvious flaw of your post: There are question marks in my post. Several ones.

You can pick one. Anyone. It will get you a lot closer than further building your house of cards anti-justifications. If you want a more elaborative explanation, you already had it with my reply that was accused as the mount everest of wall of text. If you want a shorter length, this is the clearest you can get with your level of desire.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Remember back when we used to read and write really long posts, then dissect them bit by bit?
I think that was in 2004-6.

Now you just need to say popamole a lot. Try it if you like, you will fit right in. I suggest also cursing a lot and mentioning you love piracy.

(Bad indigestion, sorry.)

I'll say you at least sound sincere so I will point out the obvious flaw of your post: There are question marks in my post. Several ones.

I wasn't being literal. I know there are question marks, I just dn't understand what sort of reply you're expecting. No one here does, in fact.

If you're speaking to several people in a room and no one understands what you're talking about, it's possible they are just being lazy, yes, but it's much more likely that you're the one at fault. The only reason I don't think your posts are just a garbled mishmash of words run through a generator (or Prosper's mind) are the detailed references to jrpgs bosses one page ago.

Okay, so after three pages we realize you're not complaining about anything. What do you want from us earthlings, then?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know, they used to be worth reading.
Haven't read this one though, due to all the bad feedback.
:decline:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
That's what I thought, noting your lack of direct reply. You should read Retinue's posts a bit then, and then punish yourself for thinking it evoked the Codex of old in any way and justified a decline "sortie".

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Yeah, Jasede, I kind of think this is a troll. His opening post is pretty incoherent but spends a lot of time trying to rile the Codex up... Then, he refuses to engage in discussion with people who try to engage him on the subject, instead resorting to ranting and 'you guys suck' ad nauseum. Note also the many 'goodbye forever's and the lol-worthy "you're wrong, my post totally invites discussion because it has question marks, dumbass" response to CK.

EDIT: LOL \/

Retinue

Novice
I wasn't being literal. I know there are question marks, I just dn't understand what sort of reply you're expecting. No one here does, in fact.

If you're speaking to several people in a room and no one understands what you're talking about, it's possible they are just being lazy, yes, but it's much more likely that you're the one at fault. The only reason I don't think your posts are just a garbled mishmash of words run through a generator (or Prosper's mind) are the detailed references to jrpgs bosses one page ago.

Okay, so after three pages we realize you're not complaining about anything. What do you want from us earthlings, then?

Here in lies the problem. When your house of cards falls apart, you create a counterpoint that really isn't a counterpoint and you just keep digging deeper and deeper wherein you yourself can't decipher between when your counterpoints are hollow and stupid and most importantly inconcise or whether they are true rationale impressions. You weren't being literal. Do you really read what you are typing?

I, again, already addressed this in the reply that was accused of being the great wall. If you look at that post, I was also replying to people who seem to hold some grasp of what I was saying. Another counterpoint that flushes your house of cards back down. Someone here does, in fact.

It all depends on your desire to discuss. When the topic barely interests you, even if you're not trolling, you will find the easiest to excuse yourself from discussing even if you express a desire to understand.

Take the comment about JRPG bosses. What JRPG bosses? Of course you could again not be taking yourself literally or keeping from spoiling the fact that many such bosses are more arch rivals/latter teammates but those things are such crucial elements of my post. If you already say you have a hard time understanding and then you further create interpretations that leads the actual poster to doubt whether you really know of the JRPG references I made, where can someone cleared up your garbled replies? I can guarantee you that your reply may be shorter but the only thing that doesn't make people state the incoherency of your post is because they are too attached to hating on me.

As for what I want? I want a discussion with storyfags. I could elaborate but I already elaborated. I'm a storyfag who has a problem with the vocal storyfags holding back and thus creating a community where the voices of the storyfag are either unheard or less so heard that people end up thinking different wordings of storyfag with the same definition sounds like they possess different meanings. The consequence being less storyfag threads that actually matter. Again, take Rarrr... said a bunch of words to clear up his/her thoughts. Good! Then what does she do? She deprives the reader of knowing what's lacking about the psychology of modern games.

Maybe it was obvious. Maybe it was simplistic. But 90% of the other fags are outspoken with gameplay, graphics, etc. etc. Vocal storyfags don't. It's as if they are afraid that what I am accused of now would happen to them. Yet they have the right to say they love games for their stories so much that they can act forgiving of the other aspects of the game? How?! Unless you read a different post by Rarrr for example you wouldn't know from their post here what exactly they want to achieve by posting that. Just stating some genre is lacking psychology does not suddenly make it "is". Every other vocal fag actually says something but storyfags don't.

Even you yourself say "I made detailed references of JRPG bosses". Even if that's untrue (really? a mention is what stands for detailed?) it still meant that some other storyfag reading it could extrapolate something from it and play those games up to that point to see that experience or if they are vocal, could then get me back for the difference or inferiority of my impressions. This in turn would produce the difference between a skin-deep analysis (most story based threads), a mid-deep analysis (most rare posts/threads like some found in SA) and "true" storyfag threads aimed at storyfags. But they don't. For some reason, they don't and thus the storyfag games are rarely told or known even in a minority. You have to waddle through the filth of say a gameplay based forum or an anime loving forum or a game specific forum to whiff a hint of storyfag and even there the vocal ones are loudest not in pointing why a story is great but why a fanfic or a bad sequel or some other minor oddities are bad. It's a shame.

Of course I am writing this only towards you. Dwindling it to the most incoherent point and most unhelpful point of "Why are you (the vocal storyfags) this way?! Why bother even posting this way if you're just posting some waste of space? Sure you get attacked less for being tl;dr typers but what exactly are you able to provide to anyone? What exactly are you able to provide to yourself by posting this way? Oh boo hoo you've told someone that you found many rpgs of poor psychology...well you don't even mention a sliver of hint as to why that is the case. For all we know, you yourself may just be hiding behind those words compared to a 2004-2006 Codexer (assuming the poster Jasede is right) when it comes to them defending what's so good/bad about the games they love and hate. Hell even graphic fashionistas can poke fun of the zippers in modern FF games! What can your post serve to anyone?

As stated, that's unhelpful and that only serves as trollbait. The true question lies in addressing the specifics.

The specifics of why they don't make actual storyfag threads if they are so vocal. (Anyone can lament or pretend lament that fact but storyfags can actually choose to make them.)

The specifics of why they don't let their hate or love for those stories flow.

The specifics of why they allow non-storyfags to create myths of what stands for good stories or good mediums. (hence the reference to adventure games/Planescape torment which are topics that have been brought forth previously in the Codex)

Finally the bottom of the iceberg in modding.

Of course it's more detailed and respectful than that. If you stupify any discussion thread, it can come off stupid even rude.

Someone who asks about epicectomy for example if he simplifies his question could come off asking "Why are big castles and mass landscapes of greenery necessary in mainstream rpgs or some other simplicity".

As with most things, the devil is in the details. If you push it away, no matter how sincere you are, the more I pander towards you the more convoluted if not insensitive my post becomes. Worse, the more potential accusations I get that I'm just repeating myself which in turn is what the retards need to create a bigger and bigger myth that what I am saying is vacuous as they slowly try to pick and copy paste some words more. My original post remains the most coherent and concise. It was no more no less than what was needed to be written and read and you can skim or read it as much in-depth, you would get some idea if you were truly interested in discussing. Everything else becomes unnecessary wall of text that when read by others and then misconstrued just becomes additional fodder but alas that's the problem with people who sound sincere. For all I know, you may be half-trolling. But the desire to discuss begets the desire to explain. *sigh* at least I know once I finished reading the few decent RPGCodex threads or this log in expires I'm gone and eventually this thread will be buried in obscurity.

Edit: Oh and I see Skittles have used my weakness for replying to sincere sounding replies as proof that I'm a troll. I don't expect you to get this Clockwork but for me, this is why I post into more text.

I already know the simple outcome. This isn't my first run with people who prefer to act retarded. I just made the mistake to assume the Codex wasn't and had only degraded slightly.

It's also a great litmus test. If I can predict and explain human psychology and someone follows up with a weak troll/retarded post. It doesn't matter if my wall of text flies over them. In fact I prefer it that way as it means less butthurt and lame comebacks with the slight reward that the pseudo-trolls or even the non trolls but full retard posters unravel more and more of their house of cards and thus it makes it easier to know who to ignore and who to reply. I said I don't memorize usernames but it doesn't mean I don't review context. Now whatever Skittles or others post next, I know more about their agenda. To be truthful though, it's not necessary for me to say this but again... vanity plus the hope that it will further defend me from being a troll. (Not because I say I am not but because the details of my post reveals the hollowness and shallowness of the comebacks especially if they happen before and not after. It also helps that the length means even if my post was sent later, it makes it more realistic to assume that I was typing this before I saw the message and thus my edit is legit rather than post-edit tricks.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom