Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone make a sequel for... type in yours

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I'll take it. I just broadly want a good game with that theme.

Monolith

Prophet
Some good mentions here that I can agree with:
- Arcanum
- Proper Bloodlines sequel
- Arx Fatalis
- Riddick
- Thief - Deadly Shadows

Then there's a lot of adventures where I simply want moar of the same (character, setting, masochistic pixel hunting):
- Scratches
- Primordia
- Dark Eye adventures
- The Shivah
- Indy adventures
- True Gabriel Knight 2D PnC sequel

And then there's the game all of you forgot to mention:
- Bloody Alpha Centauri !!!

m_s0

Arcane
Gabriel Knight

Not a chance in hell, and that 2014 hatchet job of a remake seems to have nailed that coffin shut. Fucking 90s decline of the genre, fucking cheapo remakes, and fucking corporate asshats deducing that because a cheap remake nobody asked for nor promoted didn't sell no one wants to play a proper sequel.

Worst part is, you could totally do it on the cheap, especially now. Use AGS, hire decent pixel artists, insert good writing and decent puzzle design, grab some local theatre actors and let them play the characters, not just do a Tim Curry impression. Poof, there's your game, no need to make it 4D or VR, or Fortnite DLC, or whatever the fuck kids play these days. Hell, file off the serial numbers, call it Babriel Bnight, and see if Activision even notices in 2021.

At this point I'd settle for a CYOA, or just a novel, but that's an even smaller moneybag than an AGS(-like) project.

:negative:

Seolas

Liturgist
No One Lives Forever

An ingenius duo of comedy spy shooters released in the very early 00s that are now almost impossible to find due to IP complications.

These games deserve a sequel or at least a remaster. Sadly, the series seems almost forgotten about now due to it not being on sale anywhere.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
No One Lives Forever

An ingenius duo of comedy spy shooters released in the very early 00s that are now almost impossible to find due to IP complications.

These games deserve a sequel or at least a remaster. Sadly, the series seems almost forgotten about now due to it not being on sale anywhere.

I'd dub this one an uncrowned queen of FPS's of its era. It's SOOO FRIKKIN' BLISSFUL. Beyond imaginative, and yet it doesn't force you to do anything too complex. Pure shooting fun with more approaches to one situation.

Codex Year of the Donut
No One Lives Forever

female characters in video games

2002:
maxresdefault.jpg

2021:
image.jpg

http://nolfrevival.tk/

This has been up for years and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Apparently NOLF is in a weird space where multiple corporate entities are unsure if they actually own it are unwilling to spend the necessary capital to find out for sure.

Unfortunately NOLF1 has a very common bug on modern machines where going underwater completely turns the screen black and renders the game unplayable, but not everyone gets that bug (I do :cry:).

ironmask

Arbiter
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3 written by Chris Avellone.

A true sequel to quake 1.

Blood.

A new Duke Nukem game not made by gearbox.

Codex Year of the Donut
Singleplayer part of SWTOR is unironically a pretty decent sequel to the kotor games. The MMO part is rather ass, though.
It's also one of the few RPGs -- games in general -- I'm aware of that lets you play through the same story with so many different POVs.

Monolith

Prophet
Gabriel Knight

Not a chance in hell, and that 2014 hatchet job of a remake seems to have nailed that coffin shut. Fucking 90s decline of the genre, fucking cheapo remakes, and fucking corporate asshats deducing that because a cheap remake nobody asked for nor promoted didn't sell no one wants to play a proper sequel.

Worst part is, you could totally do it on the cheap, especially now. Use AGS, hire decent pixel artists, insert good writing and decent puzzle design, grab some local theatre actors and let them play the characters, not just do a Tim Curry impression. Poof, there's your game, no need to make it 4D or VR, or Fortnite DLC, or whatever the fuck kids play these days. Hell, file off the serial numbers, call it Babriel Bnight, and see if Activision even notices in 2021.

At this point I'd settle for a CYOA, or just a novel, but that's an even smaller moneybag than an AGS(-like) project.

I'd appreciate even something similar to GK3. I am desparate like that.

But you're probably right.

ironmask

Arbiter
Singleplayer part of SWTOR is unironically a pretty decent sequel to the kotor games. The MMO part is rather ass, though.
It's also one of the few RPGs -- games in general -- I'm aware of that lets you play through the same story with so many different POVs.
From what I have seen of the mmo it looks okay. But Knights of the Old Republic 2 was so good that I would rather have a true sequel made by 2004 obsidian. The Old Republic looks like it's continue's with KOTO1 more lighthearted cheesy writing then obsidian's darker tone.

Codex Year of the Donut
From what I have seen of the mmo it looks okay. But Knights of the Old Republic 2 was so good that I would rather have a true sequel made by 2004 obsidian. The Old Republic looks like it's continue's with KOTO1 more lighthearted cheesy writing then obsidian's darker tone.
Each class has its own story and tone, so it really depends on the story. Some of them are rather Avellonian in their writing and obviously took heavy inspiration from kotor2(e.g., Sith Agent and Sith Warrior)

m_s0

Arcane
Gabriel Knight

I'd appreciate even something similar to GK3. I am desparate like that.

But you're probably right.
I like GK3, warts and all, but I do get the complaints about it: it's an odd game that's a clear product of its development woes. So, if we take the interface... arguably it's a pretty terrible design in every way, it doesn't fit the game they were doing (a Myst-like interface for a 3rd person game in full 3D without node-based movement, huh), but that said I appreciate how it puts you right there, inside the game world, and how it hands over the camera to you, for you to explore that world. It comes across as a bizarre, detached thing sitting on top of the game rather than a comfortable and invisible means to interact with said game, but it works from that very specific point of view, and it so happens that it plays to one of GK3's greatest assets. This is what a lack of focus testing can get you, which is also something I like.

I'm thinking making a 3D game would be more expensive than churning out 2D assets for a ready-made engine designed for this sort of thing, but I'd take anything. At the end of the day, that's plenty work to do as well, and I'm no developer, so who knows.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hell no to that, I'm glad you're not the IP holder.
Both Planescape (cRPG, not the RPG) and Fallout should've been left alone.
I'd hate for Arcanum to have a similar fate.

Nothing wrong with a SPIRITUAL successor, though. That would be cool.

Also, it's not like Arcanum sold wonderfully, at the time, so it's not like a ton of people will pre-order the game if a developer announce a sequel on Twitter, tomorrow... It just does't seem the smartest decision, to use the same title, you know?

Arcanum didn't have the same impact as FO, despite being a great cRPG (probably due to the amount of bugs when it was released, and the broken combat). Fallout 1 at least sold well enough to warrant a sequel.

Last edited:
ELEX II

Also:
Mercenaries (the good one)
Mafia (the good one)
Dungeon Keeper
Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders and Heroes
Metal Gear V Phantom Pain (not exactly a sequel / preferably not a sequel, but the same kind of game )
More cool arcade racers and car combat games (not kart games) in general. They used to be a dime a dozen.

blessedCoffee

Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What is numa numa then?
I was talking about Beamdog's atrocity.

Edit: And I was thinking in something like Wasteland's successor when I said "spiritual successor" - Fallout 1, when I made the post. Something that is clearly inspired by another franchise, but has its own merits and is not being used to "milk", from fans of that franchise, like Numa Numa.

Last edited:

blessedCoffee

Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Interplay released a post-apocalyptic game called Fallout, not Fallout: Life in the Wasteland, or shit like that.
Numenera even has Torment in it's title.

If you're fine with the way things are, okay. But don't try to invalidate my posts because you disagree with me, man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom