Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Songs of Conquest - HOMM2-inspired turn-based strategy adventure game - now on Early Access

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Another #screenshotsaturday is upon us! Songs of Conquest is a turn based Adventure Strategy game inspired by classic titles of the 90's. #pixelart #gamedev #indiegame
FPV0Wj_WQAE_ZD3

Harthwain

Magister
This gives strong HoMM vibes and looks like an amazing game overall, but I am going to wait until it leaves the EA. My main complaint so far is that I am not too excited about half of the factions (the swamp and the powder guys) from thematic standpoint. I do like the other half a lot though. Hopefully the gameplay difference between the factions will be interesting enough to convince me to play all of them. One very cool aspect is that you can upgrade troops and it is visually shown by them actually looking like better versions of the same troops. I think last time I saw something like this was in Total War: Medieval 2 when upgrading armor of troops.

Naraya

Arcane
Let's compare that cluttered map with HoMM2's tidy style, where every object is clear-cut and thoroughly outlined. Can't beat the classic design.
Eh, I agree that the HoM&M/HoM&M 2/HoM&M 3 art style can't be surpassed but they are doing their best. Most of the nu-pixel "art" that I've seen is nowhere near as good.

Harthwain

Magister
Let's compare that cluttered map with HoMM2's tidy style, where every object is clear-cut and thoroughly outlined. Can't beat the classic design.
I agree with the lack of outlines. I'd also add the lack of uniformity in the terrain, which makes everything blend in. It looks good in the sense that everything feels like part of the world, but at the same time it makes points of interest less apparent at a glance.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The main problem I have is that the "pixel art" is a decent effort, but it carries little to no resemblance to what I imagine as the source material (HommII and other amazing-looking 2d PC titles from early to mid nineties). Instead, like with most of these indie games, it's clearly based on things like 16bit console games, 2d jrpgs or arcade games. And it's not only about the look btw, but animations as well. There are other problems, too, like the high res UI assets (might be WIP?) or the low poly 3d map not meshing with 2d assets particularly well.

I think it's a rather moot point, anyway. The window this game had has long passed and it's now clearly at the stage where it will rot in EA for a couple of years while the devs tweet irrelevant shite only to (much) later get a disappointing release to the sound of crickets and rolling tumbleweeds while plants re-post social media bits about the next "retro 2d pixel art old school title no. X".

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just found about this in Gog's coming soon category.
As said in the few post i've read, it looks a lot like a mix of HoMM 2 & 3 visually.

What matters the most, in my opinion is if they fixed the "chasing the AI" bullshit from HoMM.
When the game was just released, I had a lot of fun with it but getting back to HoMM 2 in single player mode is a bit painful because of this.

King's Bounty reboot fixed it by giving the AI a patrol radius, it could have been handled better but it could be worse as well, all in all, I prefer KB's formula.

Thinking about it, it'd work better if the AI had a hero's recruitment limit or if hero's hiring costs were exponential, or if AI movement was increased by some troops and decreased otherwise.
There's a panel of countermeasures available to make naked heroes harassment less of a hassle.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
Thinking about it, it'd work better if the AI had a hero's recruitment limit or if hero's hiring costs were exponential, or if AI movement was increased by some troops and decreased otherwise.
There's a panel of countermeasures available to make naked heroes harassment less of a hassle.
Is this about Songs of Conquest? Because im pretty sure in HoMM hero's movement is dependent on unit type. Anyway, it was damn annoying enemy knowing exactly how much movement your heroes have on the respective terrain and where exactly fog of war starts for your heroes.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One mod I especially liked for TW:WH2 (not exactly the same, but still) was one that gave your armies a movement boost (25-50%) on your own terrain/your own provinces.
That almost entirely ends the nonsensical army chasing that is otherwise going on in that game as well.

Maybe a similar approach would work in a game like this.
No chasing the enemy AI in your realms cause you'll catch them quickly, and you can't try to make the AI chase you in their realm, either.
It also makes some sense from a world/setting perspective as obviously your own troops would know their terrain better than foreign troops.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
30€ + 20€ DLC for an early access game.

Important note: By buying this DLC, you are first and foremost showing your support for the development of Songs of Conquest and for us, the developers.

I thought that's what buying the game was for?

Brickfrog

Learned
No, you buy the game so you can own and play the game lol. You buy a supporter pack which gives you no content in order to throw money at the developers cuz your feeling generous. Supporter pack =/= dlc btw.

Anyone play it? Looks like it could be good. The early access blurb says 4 factions and two campaigns are complete.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Important note: By buying this DLC, you are first and foremost showing your support for the development of Songs of Conquest and for us, the developers.

GOG says €29,99 for DLC.
Supporter pack seems to have so much to offer.
Two additional team colours: pink and dark.

Brickfrog

Learned

GOG says €29,99 for DLC.
Supporter pack is $19.99 here. who cares tho, supporter packs are just donate buttons for the wealthy people who want to give extra to the developer. I don't understand how people confuse them with dlc?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

GOG says €29,99 for DLC.
Supporter pack is $19.99 here. who cares tho, supporter packs are just donate buttons for the wealthy people who want to give extra to the developer. I don't understand how people confuse them with dlc?
Sometimes they call genuine DLCs supporter packs.
Shortest Trip to Earth for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom