Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Songs of Conquest - HOMM2-inspired turn-based strategy adventure game - now on Early Access

wishbonetail

Learned
If 45 is young enough for you then yes.
You must be very tired by now from all of this shitload. Take a break. In couple of months you'll be ready to devour anything, even Fallout3. And if not, then maybe it is time to change hobby to something else, say, toy railroads.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Now you have the shitload of games of every genre, exactly. Shitload, you name it yourself.
Your definition of dead is quite interesting.
Is there at least one of, say, mentioned grid-based blobbers that could be on par with blobbers of old-school (Grimoire apart)?
Elminage gothic.
Dawn of war dark crusade .
Troubleshooter.
Any shooter?
Dusk.
Underrail.

visions

Arcane
You are still talking about shit while I got owned in campaign mission 4. AI pulls heroes with lots of units out of their ass whole mission that I barely win over and then comes with unkillable hero with 100 crazy spells... this reminds me why I usually play skirmish in these games.
Another thing that's very true to HoMM (and similar games), then...

There's basically one correct way to do a mission and if you don't do that correct way, you'll get shafted - but often enough half an hour after you made the initial "mistake".
I'm not a fan of this, either.

I don't remember that being true in HoMM 1-3 campaigns from when I played through most of the campaigns in order around 5 or so years ago. There's one map in the HoMM2 expansion Price of Loyalty campaign that I couldn't beat on my first try (Betrayal's End), so maybe it was true there. Got stuck there and never bothered to beat that map and campaign because fuck restarting a map from the beginning, I cba to arse with that shit unless at least a year has passed between attempts and I've mostly forgotten my previous attempt. Also I never bothered to play through the peunltimate map of the Spectre of Power campaign (Kreegan Alliance) in HoMM 3 Shadow of Death because that map annoyed me, so maybe that map and the following one would also qualify, I wouldn't know.

But that's one to three maps out of tens over 3 games and their expansions. So as a general rule, I didn't get the impression that HoMM 1-3 campaigns suffer from this problem.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
HoMM2 had quite a few maps dependent on RNG. If computer decides to explore in your direction, you may aswell start over.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried Skirmish vs stronger AI on medium sized map. It was too easy. Now we know why they spawn Heroes with full armies in campaigns..

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
LoL i played a bit and it is very sjws lol. Three missions in the human campaign and it is all about strong independent womxn and negros lol. It feels like all the main protagonists/antagonists and even mythical creatures are muh strong independent womxn.

zFB93qL.png

3E4CX1u.png

And off it goes from my wishlist.

Lagi

Savant
I come here to check the opinion about wanna be H3, but as always dex dont disappoint in finding all possible reference to LGBT.

edit: cut 2x sentence so its little less cringe

Last edited:

GloomFrost

Arcane
I come here to check the opinion about wanna be H3, but as always dex dont disappoint in finding all possible reference to LGBT. You guys are now like antifa - leftism in reverse.

Steam review are more substantive.
Well to be fair the EXCESSIVE amount of lgbt crap can easily ruin even a really good game, it affects the writing especially hard (Kingmaker 2, POE 2). So there is nothing wrong that some people refuse to buy and play it now. Developers made their choice and expect everyone to respect that, some players made THEIR choice. Simple as.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, I have restarted Mission 4 (note game does not have restart mission option so make sure you make a save at start of each mission; in this case I had one at start of Mission 3 and I had to use that one) and this time it is going much better. I was too passive in my last run. AI tends to roam around a lot so I went and blew up its cities and villages while they are away and picked up all the goodies. This time I didn't go for stack as many best units and then go out which was wrong tactic but I went for all units except strongest ones while focusing on expanding number of units I can put into each slot. Then get best units once I got more than one city.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am on mission 3 of the Arleon campaign (woman knight). I have not encountered any gamebreaking bugs, yet. So far, I like the research, magic, and even the unit slot system. Provided the developers refine these ideas further, there is potential for neat gameplay. For example, more research options for specific units.

My complaints would be:
  1. The heroes are not mechanically interesting to me. Maybe the hero-specific bonuses are stronger than I give them credit for, but I am not sure I would play one differently from another at this point, outside those with magic bonuses. In contrast, certain HoMM3 heroes buffed specific spells or units based on hero level and so there were unique strategies you could pull off (some better than others, obviously). I would like to see a combination of more heroes, revised hero traits, and/or more traits on each hero.
  2. The buff abilities from Arleon's unit roster feel redundant. The squire, knight, and goat-ogre (forget the name) all grant the same defense bonus. I like the idea of unit synergies or combos, but do these even stack? Is Arleon meant to be a defensive faction?
ArchAngel, you are further into the Arleon campaign, do we gain access to Fey units by mission 3? I am itching to see whether the squire, knight, and goat-ogre defense buffs stack.

Edit: That last mission is strange. Certain enemy heroes are far stronger, and yet they seem to wander the map at random.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
So, there are actually people playing this rather than sperging?
Yeah, the stronk womyn were a bit obnoxious in missions 1 and 2, but it sorta goes away afterwards, or I stopped noticing.
It feels like the first two missions were done by someone else entirely, trying to do a GoT setup of sorts.
Have to say, I quite dug the bard songs between the missions.

Mission 4 was a nice rude awakening with the necromancer cunt coming from the north pulled an armageddon on my fully tricked out army. Wasn't even sure what exactly happened.
Up to this point I was sorta half-assing, not even looking into the magic system too much and forgetting to cast stuff in battles because my ranged troops would pretty much demolish everything and nothing was putting much of a fight really.
That difficulty spike looks like it's mostly a scripted thing and I'm not really too hot on this.
The game started to run like absolute ass halfway into Mission 4. Most likely not a memory leak, cause it persisted after rebooting.
I actually wanted to retry and figure out how to tackle it, but fuck it.

Overall, my first impression is comparing it to HoMM does it a disservice, it's more of an Age of Wonders / King's Bounty kinda thing, though you could argue that it's basically the same genre,
I think it tries to do its own thing by mixing features from these three games to achieve a best of both worlds kind of thing.
The result isn't uninteresting thus far, and I'm liking it a bit more than AoW3 (which is a game I can't get into it for some reason, despite trying a bunch of times).

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am now in mission 4 of 2nd campaign. That campaign has no stronk women so resident idiots might like that one more. But some of the missions seem bugged with enemy heroes just standing in place whole mission...

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I have restarted Mission 4 (note game does not have restart mission option so make sure you make a save at start of each mission; in this case I had one at start of Mission 3 and I had to use that one) and this time it is going much better. I was too passive in my last run. AI tends to roam around a lot so I went and blew up its cities and villages while they are away and picked up all the goodies. This time I didn't go for stack as many best units and then go out which was wrong tactic but I went for all units except strongest ones while focusing on expanding number of units I can put into each slot. Then get best units once I got more than one city.
I found a way to restart missions. Strangely enough, you have to first choose to start a new campaign. The map screen will have all the missions unlocked, which you can choose from.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found a way to restart missions. Strangely enough, you have to first choose to start a new campaign. The map screen will have all the missions unlocked, which you can choose from.
Did you remember your hero levels and gear same like first time you did it?

I finished campaign 2, it is way easier than campaign 1.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

Yes, all my skills and gear seemed to carry over from the last mission.

Good to know about campaign 2. Despite the lower difficulty, did you enjoy it as much? One thing I liked about Arleon were those legendary/epic items you had to push far to find, such as the chaos amulet.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Good to know about campaign 2. Despite the lower difficulty, did you enjoy it as much? One thing I liked about Arleon were those legendary/epic items you had to push far to find, such as the chaos amulet.
I like the game over all. It has potential. But they need to add a lot more content for release.

GloomFrost

Arcane

I like the game over all. It has potential. But they need to add a lot more content for release.
Yep its still just an EA and months before full release. Also don't forget that Heroes 5 became REALLY good Heroes game only after 2 huge expansions which not only added additional factions but improved the balance in general , same story with AOW 3 btw. So I suppose SoC are on the right track. They just need to listen to players feedback and not overdo it with wokeness. Fingers crossed.

Finished the two campaigns. I feel I got my money's for the hours it took. I've enjoyed this game in the same way I've enjoyed every single HoMM game without exception -- the base formula of HoMM is so good that it's almost impossible to fuck up to the point that it's not fun on some level. That said, I also feel my time could have been better spent re-playing Horn of the Abyss for free.

If HoMM was 'Heroes of Might and Magic', then Soc EA is 'Heroes of Might and Magic' . I cheesed my entire way through the Rana campaign with just the barrier spell on the main hero. Honestly, I can't see myself coming back to this game. It reminds me of Fantasy General 2. Played it. Had fun. Forgot about it. Couldn't give a fuck beyond that. This has all been done better a long time ago. In fact, this was all done better so long ago that SoC's hipster, retro-pixel horseshit is representative the actual screen resolution of that time. All Of This Has Happened Before And Will Happen Again -- Except Shitter.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Yep its still just an EA and months before full release. Also don't forget that Heroes 5 became REALLY good Heroes game only after 2 huge expansions which not only added additional factions but improved the balance in general , same story with AOW 3 btw. So I suppose SoC are on the right track. They just need to listen to players feedback and not overdo it with wokeness. Fingers crossed.
I like the idea of more factions, but I also wouldn’t mind they if they continued to refine the initial four. More heroes, traits, upgrades, etc. Certain upgraded units could also use another pass imo. For example, the upgraded bard, footman, knight, and goat-ogre for Alreon all do a basic defense buff. For example, upgraded footman has additional retaliations or can ignore attacks of opportunity, goat-ogre can knock a unit back a square or two, etc.

For now, the developers seem to be avoiding elves, dwarves, and orcs. I suspect they would go for an underground/dungeon or a ice/norse faction.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Either the devs nerfed mission 4 since I last played, or I hit a weird bug. I used the caster hero to quickly captured the two north-eastern towns (chain lighting ftw), and I was at an impasse because enemy AI sent stack, after stack, after stack, and wore me down with magic casts. It felt like as soon as I defeated one hero, another would spawn with an army of equal size and magic to boot. When I started up the game again, I used Cecilia with a single unit to lure away the strongest hero (bald mage lady), who got lost or stuck chasing Cecilia (?). With that mage stuck, the enemy continued to spam the other heroes at my northern-most base, but the armies were considerably weaker. From there, I built and academy and maxed out all research on increased unit stacks and bonus magic. Last boss never stood a chance.

It was nice to beat the final mission, but I feel as though I cheesed it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Either the devs nerfed mission 4 since I last played, or I hit a weird bug. I used the caster hero to quickly captured the two north-eastern towns (chain lighting ftw), and I was at an impasse because enemy AI sent stack, after stack, after stack, and wore me down with magic casts. It felt like as soon as I defeated one hero, another would spawn with an army of equal size and magic to boot. When I started up the game again, I used Cecilia with a single unit to lure away the strongest hero (bald mage lady), who got lost or stuck chasing Cecilia (?). With that mage stuck, the enemy continued to spam the other heroes at my northern-most base, but the armies were considerably weaker. From there, I built and academy and maxed out all research on increased unit stacks and bonus magic. Last boss never stood a chance.

It was nice to beat the final mission, but I feel as though I cheesed it.
They did nerf mission 4 with a patch that came out on Friday. They reduced strength of enemy armies but still that was smart playing making strongest enemy hero chase you around.

After I have done both campaigns, I played skimish 4 FFA on 4 player map and now I am ready to delete it and wait until release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom