Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Soulash - roguelike where you play a forgotten god set on destroying the world

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asmiarowski/soulash-classic-fantasy-roguelike

https://af.gog.com/game/soulash?as=1649904300

You were once the god-king of the Dreamworld, but a new pantheon of gods dethroned you. Mortals have forgotten about you. The divines drained your soul of its incredible power. As you diminished, your chains were no longer able to hold you. You escaped into the mortal realm seeking revenge and destruction. No deity has set foot here for eons, but you changed everything. Soon the other gods will come for you, and the world will burn.

Soulash is a traditional, turn-based, permadeath roguelike where you start by taking over a host body of chosen race and profession. Your goal is to gather the souls of mortals to regain your strength and challenge other gods for world domination.

Features
Semi-random open world ready for you to pillage and conquer. The world consists of one big map (over 700k tiles) constructed from predefined chunks randomly chosen when starting a new game. The world is fully persistent. All damage done to terrain or buildings, all items dropped on the ground will remain there through the whole run.

Multiple races and professions to choose from during character creation. The game allows starting as a Human, Dark dwarf, Goblin Dark elf, Vampire, Troll, Orc Lich, Rasimi (cat-like humanoid) and combine chosen race with the following professions: Fallen Knight, Poacher, Warlock, Berserker, Nomad, Necromancer, Cultist, Inquisitor

races_professions.PNG

Destructible terrain that allows reshaping the world. The battlefield that took place will tell the story through burned, frozen, or rotten grass, broken walls, and bloodied corpses.

Dynamic weather system that can affect combat situations. During rain, fire damage will be less effective, while electricity will be more deadly.

Random description generator that adds a little soul to your victims (for you to steal).

description.png

Randomized loot system with prefixes and suffixes that add new properties and artifacts providing access to powerful abilities. During world generation, every NPC can be created with better gear, and all of them will drop exactly what they use.

Crafting mechanics with woodcutting, mining, salvaging, fishing, skinning, butchering, harvesting, gathering, milking, repairing, and item creation.

crafting.png

Character progressions that allow taking abilities from different professions on leveling up, allowing you to make unique builds.

Modding support with in-game editors for enemies, items, maps, abilities, and animations, as well as configuration files that allow the addition of new races, professions, weather events, or replacement of assets.

Modern GUI with tooltips for easy navigation.

inventory_now_small.png

Optional ASCII / Glyph graphics with 3D effects and animations.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The graphics look very bland and colorless. Also, facing in a roguelike? At least the backstory is somewhat interesting. Will follow thread and consider backing if it costs no more than $5.

Bah

Arcane
Rewatched the video and realized I'm seeing an awful lot of mouse use. Saw that happen with Stoneshard where too many things required use of the mouse, which is a hard pass for me in this genre.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Lol ok I only just now realized the Kickstarter has started already. Guess I got distracted by that "Coming to Kickstarter" text on the vid.

Anyway it's 10€ for the early birds and 15€ otherwise, so it's a pass for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1623210/view/3118176606967647816

The world of Soulash preview

Greetings fellow gods,

Today I have for you a little preview of our world in Soulash that you will get to conquer when the game releases on Steam in early 2022. The video contains minor spoilers, as it reveals two major areas in the game.

Our overall progress remains on track and we'll be announcing a modding contest very soon, for access to Steam Closed Beta. We hope to get a couple of people interested in modding to help us test Steam Workshop integration. We plan to start the beta in the first days of January to flesh out everything and integrate Soulash with Steam. During the beta and feedback from the players, we'll decide when to release the game and announce the date. Make sure to join us on Discord or follow us on Twitter to keep an eye on the latest news.

The next Steam demo update will likely come in January or February, probably before the Steam Next Fest. There are already some new exciting races available in the alpha and some interesting improvements. We'll keep you posted.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Played the demo.

It is pretty solid in all the ways that matter. Needs a ton of meat around the bones though.

Sneaking into a village, killing villagers in their sleep, devouring their corpse and then sleeping on their bed was pretty lulzy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It is pretty solid in all the ways that matter. Needs a ton of meat around the bones though.

Whether or not any meat will actually get onto the bones is a critical issue with classical roguelikes developed in the modern day.

ToME, ADOM, and other pre-millennium roguelikes continue to be updated to this day, and ToME in particular offers a ton of meat.

On the other hand, I don't generally expect anything initially conceived post-2010 to be updated much at all past release (or even leading up to release) unless bags of gold rain down on the developers. Caves of Qud seems to be a rare exception.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why the fukk would I play a game called Squash? Get your perverted food kinks out of my rpgs. THANKS.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Played the demo.
was demo updated? I think I played it like 6mo ago during some festival

There still is only one map, can't go up/down stairs. But all basic mechanics work, crafting, day/night cycle etc. Not possible see much of character development as you run out of things to kill eventually.

From what they have, you could build a pretty solid single-player game. Once you start fucking with proc. gen stuff, it is a coin toss...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1623210/view/5049100027296755170

Soulash 1.0 releasing on the 4th of March!

Greetings fellow gods,

The time of reckoning is upon us! The long-awaited Soulash v1.0 will be released on Itch and Steam on the 4th of March 2022, including the graphics known from the Steam demo, Steam Workshop integration, Leaderboards, and Achievements. The price will be set at 14.99$.

It's been a long road to get here, and the date is very special to me personally, as almost exactly five years ago, on the 5th of March 2017, my son was born, and I've decided to start working on a game engine that would become the fundaments underneath Soulash. It's truly a miracle that after countless prototypes I've attempted over the last decade, I figured out how to keep working on the same project for over 7000 hours and deliver a complete game with 20 - 30 hours of single run gameplay and additional replayability through alternative world regions, professions, enemies, multiple paths to victory and in-game modding editors.

As for the extra Steam features - the upcoming Steam Workshop integration will allow us to share our mods quickly, by publishing, and updating them from within the game. We hope this will give you, our community, additional opportunities to expand the world of Soulash, to create custom worlds or game modes, or easily disable supplementary mechanics that you don't enjoy, be it durability or hunger.

q4JlQ8J.png

The Steam Leaderboards will allow us to have a little competitive fun. Leaderboards are set up to rank our runs by in-game scores, separate per profession, number of turns for a speedrunning competition, total items crafted, and souls consumed. If it's better than our previous attempt, the game will show our position at the end of the run (death or victory).

hea1glT.gif

And finally, the Achievements will allow us to try something new and strive for different goals during a playthrough, maybe explore some less obvious places, hunt down specific gods, or look for hidden secrets.

hbdbC89.png

Both Leaderboards and Achievements will count only for runs with core mods (core and core gfx) and will be disabled on debugging mode or after using the Cheat Console.

Thank you all who joined us on this journey, supporting us with early purchases of the alpha, providing us feedback, spreading the word about the game, wishlisting the game, supporting us on Patreon and Kickstarter, and feeding us with fantastic ideas along the way. The game would not be as good without you. We hope you'll enjoy Soulash as much as we've been enjoying making it!

Less than five weeks to go! Wishlist now and don't miss the launch!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom