Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview South Park RPG previews and screenshots at GameBanshee

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth; Ubisoft

Surprise! It turns out that Obsidian's South Park: The Stick of Truth isn't vaporware after all. Apparently, Ubisoft are going to show the game off at E3, and they've allowed a whole bunch of sites to preview it in advance. Luckily, our dear friends at GameBanshee have done the heavy lifting for us. Here are a couple of those previews.

GameInformer:

Creativity helps in combat, but it’s also necessary for navigating the school’s dangerous hallways. Butters and New Kid encounter an enemy kid standing on a huge rubbish blockade. Normally, New Kid could use his powerful fart ability to knock him from the hill, but a strategically placed fan makes this difficult. Players have a few options in this dilemma. They can either trigger a sprinkler above the fan to short it out, or use an anal probe satellite to teleport into the vents above. Once within, Butters and New Kid harness the power of the Underpants Gnomes to shrink themselves and navigate the narrow ventilation shaft. These multi-path situations look like entertaining breaks from the otherwise straightforward combat.​

[...] The presentation concludes with a standoff between Kyle and Cartman. New Kid must choose a side, and the dev at the controls chooses to fight Cartman. New Kid’s opening strike is to throw a piece of poop at Cartman (which was acquired earlier after defecating in a urinal). The fight concludes with a spectacular fart duel between the two, which plays out like two Dragon Ball Z characters blasting each other.​

Polygon:

Magical abilities carry grand names and DIY executions. A Lightning Volt, for example, will see one of the South Park kids dump a bucket of water on a foe, then drop a car battery with exposed wiring into the resulting puddle. Healing Touch is simply a tap on the back and a reassuring "Yeah, that's it little buddy," from Cartman. A Funnel of Frost is a fire extinguisher and Hammer of Justice... a hammer.​

Spellcasters in South Park can also unleash streams of fireworks, flaming flatulence and undead cats revived by the power of toxic waste at their foes.​

Some of those spells play out more dramatically and more punishingly depending on the timing of a button press within a certain window. The action is reminiscent of the timing-based flourishes applied in games like Nintendo's Mario & Luigi RPG series or the active reload actions of Gears of War.​

The GameBanshee staff also got their hands on some screenshots from the game. They look pretty much like what you'd expect.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  2. likaq Arcane

likaq
    Words can not describe how NOT interested I am in this game.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  3. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    My popamole brother is a fan of South Park, so I'll try to get him interested for the benefit of Obsidian. He was mildly amused by the trailer I showed him, but he's one of those 1000-hour Skyrim/Mass Effect players, so I'm not sure he'd play a RPG.

:popamole:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. dab Scholar

dab
    Project: Eternity
    Still better than this Russian MMO thing

^ Top  
  5. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    A hit or miss title by its very nature. Will probably give it a shot when on a decent sale. Or probably not.

One wonders though, reading the Codex, the sense of humor here gives the idea that this should be a Codex dream game for the humor alone.

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    I'm just hoping the reviewers' emphasis on flatulence arises either because (a) in the preview build it's the character's main ability, or (b) they're all just running from the same press release, or (c) they're all writing notes from the same handsoff demonstration (which is what it sounds like).

There's aspects to the game that I quite like, but I'd rather no humour than reused fart jokes that are going to get old as hell by the end of the 1st combat.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Still better than Oblivion

^ Top  
  8. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    If it has the writing of the best South Park episodes, then it would be worth to play even for only the humor but if it has the writing of the worst ones, specially the most recent "meh" stuff that South Park became then it will be boring fart jokes after boring penis jokes to return to boring fart jokes.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MurkyShadow Glittering gem of hatred Patron

MurkyShadow
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I really want to like Obsidian. But they're working against me with every release.
    Well, I do like Obsidian. But I'd like to like the games they're making too.

^ Top  
  10. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    c)

^ Top  
  11. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    South Park has always had highs and lows. It has never been good. It has always been funny. It has not diminished over time, unlike the Simpons or other animated humor/satire shows.

^ Top  
  12. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    Seeing Obsidian making shovelware like this and that MMO is embarrassing. I really hope Project Eternity works out well for them and they can use its success to make more new ip and sequels that they own.

^ Top  
  13. I wonder how long this interactive South Park episode will be.

^ Top  
  14. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    One of the previews approximated 15-20 hours.

^ Top  
  15. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    A game based on South Park, one of the most iconic brands in the world, with its creators directly involved is by no definition a shovelware.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't think you understand the word "shovelware".

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Good, good. If it has a bit of replayability, that's even better.

^ Top  
  18. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    A game based on a famous brand made for the sole reason of milking that brand's fans of money is pretty much shovelware.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Fuck you, Deletotron.

^ Top  
  20. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    The creators of the show are deeply involved, the developers themselves are deeply excited working on it (even working directly with the creators before a publisher deal was made) and it's a big budget production. While this certainly applies to all previous SP games I don't think its accurate here.

Of course if it is accurate, Alpha Protocol is the only Obsidian game that isn't shovelware

:troll:

^ Top  
  21. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Yes, that one is bioware.

^ Top  
  22. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Dunno. I want this one, if for the sole reason that SP used to amuse me when I watched it almost a decade ago and Obsidian should've had enough time with this one that even they might've implemented some QA.

Plus I expect it to be mildly funny at least.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    [​IMG]

:what:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.