Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview South Park RPG previews and screenshots at GameBanshee

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth; Ubisoft

Surprise! It turns out that Obsidian's South Park: The Stick of Truth isn't vaporware after all. Apparently, Ubisoft are going to show the game off at E3, and they've allowed a whole bunch of sites to preview it in advance. Luckily, our dear friends at GameBanshee have done the heavy lifting for us. Here are a couple of those previews.

GameInformer:

Creativity helps in combat, but it’s also necessary for navigating the school’s dangerous hallways. Butters and New Kid encounter an enemy kid standing on a huge rubbish blockade. Normally, New Kid could use his powerful fart ability to knock him from the hill, but a strategically placed fan makes this difficult. Players have a few options in this dilemma. They can either trigger a sprinkler above the fan to short it out, or use an anal probe satellite to teleport into the vents above. Once within, Butters and New Kid harness the power of the Underpants Gnomes to shrink themselves and navigate the narrow ventilation shaft. These multi-path situations look like entertaining breaks from the otherwise straightforward combat.​

[...] The presentation concludes with a standoff between Kyle and Cartman. New Kid must choose a side, and the dev at the controls chooses to fight Cartman. New Kid’s opening strike is to throw a piece of poop at Cartman (which was acquired earlier after defecating in a urinal). The fight concludes with a spectacular fart duel between the two, which plays out like two Dragon Ball Z characters blasting each other.​

Polygon:

Magical abilities carry grand names and DIY executions. A Lightning Volt, for example, will see one of the South Park kids dump a bucket of water on a foe, then drop a car battery with exposed wiring into the resulting puddle. Healing Touch is simply a tap on the back and a reassuring "Yeah, that's it little buddy," from Cartman. A Funnel of Frost is a fire extinguisher and Hammer of Justice... a hammer.​

Spellcasters in South Park can also unleash streams of fireworks, flaming flatulence and undead cats revived by the power of toxic waste at their foes.​

Some of those spells play out more dramatically and more punishingly depending on the timing of a button press within a certain window. The action is reminiscent of the timing-based flourishes applied in games like Nintendo's Mario & Luigi RPG series or the active reload actions of Gears of War.​

The GameBanshee staff also got their hands on some screenshots from the game. They look pretty much like what you'd expect.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
My popamole brother is a fan of South Park, so I'll try to get him interested for the benefit of Obsidian. He was mildly amused by the trailer I showed him, but he's one of those 1000-hour Skyrim/Mass Effect players, so I'm not sure he'd play a RPG.

:popamole:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
A hit or miss title by its very nature. Will probably give it a shot when on a decent sale. Or probably not.

One wonders though, reading the Codex, the sense of humor here gives the idea that this should be a Codex dream game for the humor alone.

:troll:

I'm just hoping the reviewers' emphasis on flatulence arises either because (a) in the preview build it's the character's main ability, or (b) they're all just running from the same press release, or (c) they're all writing notes from the same handsoff demonstration (which is what it sounds like).

There's aspects to the game that I quite like, but I'd rather no humour than reused fart jokes that are going to get old as hell by the end of the 1st combat.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If it has the writing of the best South Park episodes, then it would be worth to play even for only the humor but if it has the writing of the worst ones, specially the most recent "meh" stuff that South Park became then it will be boring fart jokes after boring penis jokes to return to boring fart jokes.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really want to like Obsidian. But they're working against me with every release.
Well, I do like Obsidian. But I'd like to like the games they're making too.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'm just hoping the reviewers' emphasis on flatulence arises either because (a) in the preview build it's the character's main ability, or (b) they're all just running from the same press release, or (c) they're all writing notes from the same handsoff demonstration (which is what it sounds like).

There's aspects to the game that I quite like, but I'd rather no humour than reused fart jokes that are going to get old as hell by the end of the 1st combat.

c)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
If it has the writing of the best South Park episodes, then it would be worth to play even for only the humor but if it has the writing of the worst ones, specially the most recent "meh" stuff that South Park became then it will be shit.
South Park has always had highs and lows. It has never been good. It has always been funny. It has not diminished over time, unlike the Simpons or other animated humor/satire shows.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Seeing Obsidian making shovelware like this and that MMO is embarrassing. I really hope Project Eternity works out well for them and they can use its success to make more new ip and sequels that they own.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If it has the writing of the best South Park episodes, then it would be worth to play even for only the humor but if it has the writing of the worst ones, specially the most recent "meh" stuff that South Park became then it will be boring fart jokes after boring penis jokes to return to boring fart jokes.
Just look at the game's screenshots

phpThumb.php

:M

zwanzig_zwoelf

I wonder how long this interactive South Park episode will be.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Seeing Obsidian making shovelware like this and that MMO is embarrassing. I really hope Project Eternity works out well for them and they can use its success to make more new ip and sequels that they own.
A game based on South Park, one of the most iconic brands in the world, with its creators directly involved is by no definition a shovelware.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think you understand the word "shovelware".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
A game based on a famous brand made for the sole reason of milking that brand's fans of money is pretty much shovelware.

Duraframe300

Arcane
A game based on a famous brand made for the sole reason of milking that brand's fans of money is pretty much shovelware.

The creators of the show are deeply involved, the developers themselves are deeply excited working on it (even working directly with the creators before a publisher deal was made) and it's a big budget production. While this certainly applies to all previous SP games I don't think its accurate here.

Of course if it is accurate, Alpha Protocol is the only Obsidian game that isn't shovelware

:troll:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dunno. I want this one, if for the sole reason that SP used to amuse me when I watched it almost a decade ago and Obsidian should've had enough time with this one that even they might've implemented some QA.

Plus I expect it to be mildly funny at least.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A game based on a famous brand made for the sole reason of milking that brand's fans of money
Like Planescape: Torment? You know, the game which was based on the famous brand of Planescape, and made for the sole reason of milking the brands fans. See, I can talk stupid shit too!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom