Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soys Row 2022

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The entire premise is that these are college students that are starting a gang empire to pay off their student debt.... Why would criminals pay off their student debt using funds from a criminal empire? You don't think the government won't know where the money came from? Pure decline.

If they're college students, surely they're informed enough to know how to launder the money.
They aren't even smart enough to figure out that if you are a criminal, you got no need to give a damn about outstanding loans. I don't reckon that money laundering is gonna be an idea within their collective common sense.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Wait a minute, a character is a girl that wanted to be an antropologist ends being a car mechanic for a gang?
The entire premise is that these are college students that are starting a gang empire to pay off their student debt.... Why would criminals pay off their student debt using funds from a criminal empire?
To be fair, ideas this dumb would not have been out of place in SR3 or 4.
I was thinking the same thing but in the original SW they probably would of made a joke about how the character has a degree in underwater lesbian gender studies and NPC's would have rightfully made fun of the player for getting into debt by pursing a worthless degree. Now the type of people who have a degree in underwater lesbian gender studies work for the HR departments in the game industry and pretty much dictate what types of games can and can't be made and also fill the studios up with woke activists for developers.
:negative:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If we count the context that continues through each game then having them being something less than a big scale crime enterprise from 3 onward doesn't really fit. Since 2 Playa/The Boss made sure that he/she's really ambitious and doesn't want the gang to be just a gang, so they went on to become celebrities and then leaders of the US.
They aren't even smart enough to figure out that if you are a criminal, you got no need to give a damn about outstanding loans. I don't reckon that money laundering is gonna be an idea within their collective common sense.
Yeah this really bugs me. I'm rich as fuck and I don't give a shit about the law, why would I pay student loans when tax isn't even on my mind? This feels like trying to make these characters relatable while being sanitized as possible. It's not blackmail, it's not a debt that threatens the lives of close ones, it's a freaking student loan my god. I wouldn't be surprised if another character in this game becomes "bad" cuz they need to pay rent. I know the criminal path often attracts sociopaths that don't look like what they truly are willing to do, but with this horrid character design, they just kinda messed up first impression.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So the message of this game is that its okay to rob and kill people as long its for paying off your student loan.

I would imagine that tallies with the general political beliefs of the writers.

Going by their support of the BLM riots protests last year of course.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If they're college students, surely they're informed enough to know how to launder the money.

They don't teach anything useful in college anymore. Do you really believe that they would know how to launder money? They couldn't launder their clothes.

I didn't mean that specific hook would have worked with the plots of SR3 and 4 - it wouldn't - but the problem with the idea isn't that it's too dumb or too unrealistic. Same with an archaeologist-turned-mechanic. "That's too implausible" were words never spoken in the writers brainstorming sessions.

I never said impossible. Improbable yeah, but not impossible. The reason why it doesn't work is that these are all liberal kids that have never experienced any difficulty in their lives. That's the opposite of the original gang in that they experienced all these difficulties in their lives to achieve the highest positions of power.

Black

Arcane
14jO3r8.jpg

Bernsteins don't even hide any more that they want you to invite mentally ill mutt zoomer criminals into your house.

Data4

Arcane
Back when I first heard about a new Saints Row game, I thought "Great! Saints Row! Finally something to give a middle finger to all the bullshit over the last few years!"

Now I'm like
giphy.gif

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I still think that paying off student loans is funnier and more novel than "They kidnapped my daughter" #29,234.

It could be funny and novel if they wanted it to be. But judging from the trailer, they're playing this 100% dead serious. I know it's hard to accept, it's taken me a few years. But really, there are people who think that paying off their student loans for getting some degree in bullshit studies is the same level of hardship as being a kid in the ghetto who was stuck in shit schools and never had a chance to go to college in the first place.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still think that paying off student loans is funnier and more novel than "They kidnapped my daughter" #29,234.

It could be funny and novel if they wanted it to be. But judging from the trailer, they're playing this 100% dead serious. I know it's hard to accept, it's taken me a few years. But really, there are people who think that paying off their student loans for getting some degree in bullshit studies is the same level of hardship as being a kid in the ghetto who was stuck in shit schools and never had a chance to go to college in the first place.
Come to think of it, the ghetto kid isn't saddled with a loan AND a useless degree.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It could be funny and novel if they wanted it to be. But judging from the trailer, they're playing this 100% dead serious.
Agreed - but as a Gen-Xer
rating_oldman.png
myself, I'm quite capable of finding the humor where a bad author intended seriousness. We didn't invent enjoying things ironically but we did perfect it. Also remember that "They kidnapped my daughter" stories also take themselves deadly serious, so sticking with one of those wouldn't be an improvement in this regard. All else being equal, I'd usually rather see something new and stupid than another clichéd rehash. I stand by what I said.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It could be funny and novel if they wanted it to be. But judging from the trailer, they're playing this 100% dead serious.
Agreed - but as a Gen-Xer
rating_oldman.png
myself, I'm quite capable of finding the humor where a bad author intended seriousness. We didn't invent enjoying things ironically but we did perfect it. Also remember that "They kidnapped my daughter" stories also take themselves deadly serious, so sticking with one of those wouldn't be an improvement in this regard. All else being equal, I'd usually rather see something new and stupid than another clichéd rehash. I stand by what I said.

The problem is that student loan debt does not have the same gravitas as "They kidnapped my daughter" stories. :lol:

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

Come to think of it, the ghetto kid isn't saddled with a loan AND a useless degree.
That's why they want to force them into universities for gender studies and other grifts. People in the so called ghetto were highly competitive and what the government has done is to place barriers against upward mobility. Lower class Black folk would be highly competitive for wages. So they introduced welfare policies so instead of going out in the private market they would depend on government handouts and stop being industrious as well as vote democrat for another dose of valium. The minimum wage was introduced so businesses couldn't afford to hire people willing to work for a more competitive salary and since they had to pay a set amount would then demand people with more qualifications. Today they brain drain Black communities and throw them into the university racket where they are weighted down by loans and given useless degrees. If they move on to anything it will be government jobs and not private businesses. The welfare state also acts as a sugardaddy and men having their provider role stolen have their women turn into hoes. So you got kids without fathers and this is proven to cause crime. Thanks commies for all the help.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem is that student loan debt does not have the same gravitas as "They kidnapped my daughter" stories. :lol:
Not a problem for ironic enjoyment.

Quick story.

Once upon a time, my family owned a nature cabin out in the forest near a river. Many summers were spent there and swimming was a favorite activity.
One day, my stepfather and brothers were enjoying a swim in a wide, clear section of water when my youngest stepbrother started to panic. He had gone too deep and was rapidly losing energy. Thrashing, he began to drown.
Thinking quickly and invigorated by protective instincts, my stepfather immediately jumped into the water and swam out to save my brother.
As our dad hauled the child back to shore, my brother resisted violently and fought against his rescuer, yelling incoherently and trying to get back in the water!
Finally, as he was dragged onto the bank and made a last surging attempt to break his father's grip, the anguished boy shouted something intelligible:
"MY GUM!"
-------
What is dramatic and dead serious to one person can still be funny as hell to an outside observer.

Codex Year of the Donut
the problem with a story about student debt is that you have literally no obligation to pay it because they have no leverage over you
there is nothing that would cause the plot to move further, it's not like a house they can seize

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Not a problem for ironic enjoyment.

Quick story.

Once upon a time, my family owned a nature cabin out in the forest near a river. Many summers were spent there and swimming was a favorite activity.
One day, my stepfather and brothers were enjoying a swim in a wide, clear section of water when my youngest stepbrother started to panic. He had gone too deep and was rapidly losing energy. Thrashing, he began to drown.
Thinking quickly and invigorated by protective instincts, my stepfather immediately jumped into the water and swam out to save my brother.
As our dad hauled the child back to shore, my brother resisted violently and fought against his rescuer, yelling incoherently and trying to get back in the water!
Finally, as he was dragged onto the bank and made a last surging attempt to break his father's grip, the anguished boy shouted something intelligible:
"MY GUM!"
-------
What is dramatic and dead serious to one person can still be funny as hell to an outside observer.

You do you and that's all you can do. I'm not here to change your mind. I'm just here to talk to you and enjoy the conversation.

As others have pointed out comparing something that you can ignore with a deadly situation is not ironic. They're not even comparable. Trying to defend SJW piece of shit work isn't funny either.

Zombra

Patron
Trying to defend SJW piece of shit work isn't funny either.
You misunderstand. I'm not trying to defend this new game. All I said was that a new bad story isn't worse than an old bad story, and novelty is potentially funnier than cliche. Who here honestly thinks this game would be improved by changing the plot to finding the MC's missing father?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Who here honestly thinks this game would be improved by changing the plot to finding the MC's missing father?
Doddering dunce of a dotard, when was there even a missing child plot in Saint's row.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Trying to defend SJW piece of shit work isn't funny either.
You misunderstand. I'm not trying to defend this new game. All I said was that a new bad story isn't worse than an old bad story, and novelty is potentially funnier than cliche. Who here honestly thinks this game would be improved by changing the plot to finding the MC's missing father?

My mistake on your intentions.

I wouldn't like that storyline either, but you presented the alternate choice. It's a false dichotomy and you know it.

In Saints Row 1, the playa gets sacrificed for his boss to protect himself all for political points. Saints Row 2 picks up right after that. The entire storyline is a personal one about loss and rebuilding everything better. It ultimately is a story about brotherhood and belonging. It also is about starting with nothing and getting to the top of society in business and politics. Student loans aren't even on the meter in comparison. It's not even a drop in the bucket.

Let me put it simply. A story about a ghetto kid that has to do crime to put a roof over their head and food in their stomach vs. a white whiny liberal whose biggest problem in life is a chipped nail and daddy's credit card is taken away from them. Which story is more compelling?

I didn't even touch upon the renaming of established businesses from Rim Jobs and Freckle Bitches to Jim Robs and FBS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom