Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soys Row 2022

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just looked at your stats

This is one of those moments when you might consider calling a mental health crisis line because if you actually care that much about a codexer, you're in an emergency situation.

You... have read this forum before, right?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, does it really irritate anyone that much about what they've chosen to name the shops in this plot heavy magnum opus?
For me this crossed a line. Different protagonists, that's a decision I can see. Different nonsense plot justification, okay. They're making a new story with new characters, fine. We can like those characters or hate them but the devs are still technically being creative at this point. Renaming and rebranding the old in-game franchises is where they went from creating something new to actively destroying the relics of the past. This is where they said a straight up "fuck you" to what was already built.

I'm not asking you to like whatever they made. I just assumed that people had the capacity to accept that this isn't the game they hoped for and move on to the next thing.
Speaking for myself, I guess I'm not ready to let go yet. I have a lot of good memories with the series so I'll stay subbed to the thread at least until people stop having new things to say about it. Probably won't take too long until it's nothing but "SJWs are sneaking fluoride into the water to turn everyone gay" but until then I'll stay tuned.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, does it really irritate anyone that much about what they've chosen to name the shops in this plot heavy magnum opus?
For me this crossed a line. Different protagonists, that's a decision I can see. Different nonsense plot justification, okay. They're making a new story with new characters, fine. We can like those characters or hate them but the devs are still technically being creative at this point. Renaming and rebranding the old in-game franchises is where they went from creating something new to actively destroying the relics of the past. This is where they said a straight up "fuck you" to what was already built.

I'm not asking you to like whatever they made. I just assumed that people had the capacity to accept that this isn't the game they hoped for and move on to the next thing.
Speaking for myself, I guess I'm not ready to let go yet. I have a lot of good memories with the series so I'll stay subbed to the thread at least until people stop having new things to say about it. Probably won't take too long until it's nothing but "SJWs are sneaking fluoride into the water to turn everyone gay" but until then I'll stay tuned.

Your bottom quote got messed up. I suppose I can see your general point. To me it's a fairly minor thing, but if you're legitimately a die hard fan of the series to date, I guess I get that.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Seriously though, the game was questionably good 13 years ago and has released a variety of shit titles since then. Like when people cry about Fallout rape, I get it. Saints Row rape though? Really?

Yeah, really. Granted, Fallout had further to fall, but gutting a franchise is gay no matter what it is.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
We don't have many truly fun games to look forward to. It's perfectly acceptable to be upset when one of the few series that delivered gets gutted.

EruDaan

Arcane
Dunno - they buy Liscenses like no tomorrow and then produce only trash. Nobody knows why. Sacred 3 could've been a mix of Grim Dawn and Path fo Exile but no, it became some mindless hack'n'slash for consoles without any loot-tables, with retard humor and no character developement, the list of "everything-is-shit" goes on.
The same with Saints Row franchise - they bought it and then set some guys on it who until then only made games for consoles and smartphones and made them make "Agents of Mayhem" or whatever. Pure trash and I can't beleive they made ANY money from it. It's like Deep Silver is purely led by guys who know NOTHING about gaming, gaming franchises they buy or how to make successful games. They are grey-suited asshats with some economy degrees who think games can be produced like Lego - put some name on it and these "gamer guys" they herad about will buy it.

Terra

Cipher
Deep Silver like to slink into the picture late doors with the reveal that a product is now an epic exclusive for a year. Happened multiple times, Shenmue 3 Kickstarter backers who were promised steam keys getting fucked over shortly before release when DS suddenly got involved (they weren't in the picture at the onset) and now they had to make do with Epic store keys.

Metro Exodus was on the Steam store, up for pre-order, DS got involved and it suddenly disappears from Steam and became an Epic exclusive for a year.

Those are their two latest claims to fame afaik. The fact that they'd rather take Epic's money and hold a game hostage on Epic's store tells you all you need to know. These guys are happy to have a game on PC with a (theoretically) non-existent userbase for a year so long as Epic's money is in their account.

Prior to their Epic store shenanigans they didn't have a stellar rep either but I can't recall the specifics.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All I remember about Deep Silver is them offering to take over the physical rewards for Wasteland 2 kickstarter, and then everything was years late and the public blamed inXile.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm pretty sure they signed an exclusive deal for a Saints Row game last year. Back then we know nothing about this game, so people assumed it was for 3 Remastered. Now I'm pretty sure it's a package deal.

Most publishers are slowly pulling out of Epic exclusive deals, and if there's any, they are probably from deals that were made when Epic was aggressive with their strategy back in 2019. This is why Annapurna no longer has any upcoming exclusive game aside from Solar Ash which was announced years ago. Expect the same with Dead Island 2 (if that project's still alive, of course).

Zlaja

Arcane
This is one of those moments when you might consider calling a mental health crisis line because if you actually care that much about a codexer, you're in an emergency situation.

I don't care WHERE people post, but I often click on people's usernames to check their brofist to post ratio. Which is, of course, VERY important.

We don't have many truly fun games to look forward to. It's perfectly acceptable to be upset when one of the few series that delivered gets gutted.

Saint's Row hasn't delivered since part 2. Both 3 & 4 were garbage.

What's there to discuss 20 years after the golden age of RPGs?

You should visit our butt thread.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Deep Silver like to slink into the picture late doors with the reveal that a product is now an epic exclusive for a year. Happened multiple times, Shenmue 3 Kickstarter backers who were promised steam keys getting fucked over shortly before release when DS suddenly got involved (they weren't in the picture at the onset) and now they had to make do with Epic store keys.

Metro Exodus was on the Steam store, up for pre-order, DS got involved and it suddenly disappears from Steam and became an Epic exclusive for a year.

Those are their two latest claims to fame afaik. The fact that they'd rather take Epic's money and hold a game hostage on Epic's store tells you all you need to know. These guys are happy to have a game on PC with a (theoretically) non-existent userbase for a year so long as Epic's money is in their account.

Prior to their Epic store shenanigans they didn't have a stellar rep either but I can't recall the specifics.
I believe that Deep Silver was also responsible for the abomination that was Ride to Hell Retribution. Yeah, that should tell people a lot.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

I don't care WHERE people post, but I often click on people's usernames to check their brofist to post ratio. Which is, of course, VERY important.

Saint's Row hasn't delivered since part 2. Both 3 & 4 were garbage.

What's there to discuss 20 years after the golden age of RPGs?

You should visit our butt thread.

Here, have a Thumbs Down. Hope I didn't ruin your Sunday.

Last edited:

A horse of course

I liked the setting/style of 3 (perhaps a little less OTT) but the gameplay had actually swung too far away from the extreme of GTA IV. A lot of stuff in the game was too casualized for the sake of ease-of-use - different vehicles, for example, didn't matter that much beyond top speed, as virtually everything handled very simiilarly once the player got behind the wheel. In Saint's Row 2, there was actually a reason to grab a heavy truck, which controlled like shit but could shunt stuff out of the way and was difficult to flip over due to its heavy mass. Saints Row 4 stopped caring entirely.

Dodo1610

Arcane
People are saying that nothing good can come from Deep Silver. Can someone explain to me what the go is with that publisher?

Good that you ask here are my favourite Deep Silver Games

Ride to Hell retribution
fDaWQTQ.png

aka the worst game ever made

Sacred 3
RHHS81y.png

for comparison Sacred
48e88b8e74a6576fc4c9c98de30e0794f96fcbb67187ba923147500829684df0_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

and Sacred 3
maxresdefault.jpg

There is also: A shitty Sacred Spin-off called Sacred Citadel, the fact that Dead Island 2 is vapourware for 9 years instead they made a Dead Island Moba called Dead Island Epidemic, Agents of Mayhem was the last game by Volition that no one asked for, They fucked up Risen 2 and 3.
I was kinda shocked that they haven't ruined Metro as well but there they didn't own the studio but that they are also no longer independent so I don't expect anything from them either.
+ Luckily for me I didn't like KCD so I don't care that they bought Warhorse as well, but I expect great things for the sequel :lol:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
A bunch of middle aged white men writing a reboot of a quite beloved franchise using woke millenial protagonists to suck up to a younger audience, while expecting the old audience to stay. I mean, it worked well for the last "Expendables" movie right, or ME Andromederp... :hahano:

Yeah, I'm gonna set my expectations bar to a 1mm above ground tripping hazard in the vain hope to be positively surprised in the end.

Hope dies last, but even she is not immortal.
:negative:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Even if you removed the woke and PC nonsense, the fortnite-like aesthetics is enough for me to give this shite a hard pass. What's up with all these faggots copying that color palette in so many new games these days? This is legitimately worse than the era of 'everything must be brown'.

Ravielsk

Magister
Even if you removed the woke and PC nonsense, the fortnite-like aesthetics is enough for me to give this shite a hard pass. What's up with all these faggots copying that color palette in so many new games these days? This is legitimately worse than the era of 'everything must be brown'.

you've short memories. why do you call it "fortnite palette" when it's "warcraft palette"? and style too, in general.

Call it whatever you want. The point remains that the palette is ill suited to a game like Saints Row. Saints Row always had more color than GTA but there is a difference between having color and turning everything into a pastel coloring book.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
the fortnite-like aesthetics is enough for me to give this shite a hard pass.
While it's not much, in a Gamescom video the journalist who got to watch the presentation said, the trailer style is not really representative. Which confused him as well. The ingame graphics would be not much different to the last 2 SR games instead. "Not really next gen" as he also put it.

Yeah, they obviously tried to suck up to the Fortnite crowd and it backfired.

Edit: also the culturally diverse MC womyn is not a fixed character, you can customize him/her/other as you want. People were apparently pretty pissed at the implication of having to play as a black womyn. :hahano:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom