Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rangers: A War Apart (SR2 HD Remaster)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
D1P. :smug:

Heresiarch

Prophet

The people over at the official website said you can buy the Gamersgate version and then get the steamcode to install immediately :bounce:

20 euros is a bit steep though :| Although I've wasted 20 euros on Shadowrun Returns and hadn't played it at all =_= and for 20 euros, SR2 is an amazing game to spend on.

I've finished the game twice but I still want to replay it right away because I was a pussy and have never played on anything harder than normal. The replayability of this shit is awesome.

Renegen

Arcane
So bros, I've finally succumbed to this version of the game and intend to learn it and play. So far so good, an actual RPG where you have to make choices. But I have a problem, a simple problem. Asteroid keep bumping into my ship all of the time and erase any profits I may get from trading. You can't avoid them either unless you're really anal since your ship is uncontrollable between turns. In fact the problem is so bad I got smacked by 5 asteroids on my way to a jumpgate and died.

No one told me about the asteroids during their praises of this game, the god damn asteroids are everywhere.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
There's this thing with infinite asteroids and the sun being too hot for traveling around that's actually some kind of DRM. Word from the developer is that, if you're getting this problem, chances are their DRM software is being blocked by some kind of antivirus or firewall software. See if you can add it to any exceptions list and try again, because it's not supposed to be like that.

That's hilarious.

Keep in mind that you can shoot asteroids and collect the minerals for sale too. Not bad money if you don't have anything else to do..

Anyone get this who is familiar with the original/Reboot and can summarize the changes?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Biggest change is addition of pirate mechanics. You can switch from Coalition to pirate faction which has its own ranks and advancement mechanics and can now conquer systems from Coalition / Dominators. An upgrade to NPCs which allows them to use the afterburner on ships. New RTS maps, government and text missions. New equipment, new modifications to old equipment. High resolution mods now coded into the game. "Advanced adjustment" which allows you to tweak game characteristics even more at character creation. There's also talk of support for third party mods but I haven't seen any yet and don't know how they work.

All this from the game's manual but I can't copy-paste from it for some reason.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
How developed are the pirate bits? Thinking about getting this since the Space Rangers series are my crack, just want to know if it's different enough from the original Space Rangers 2: Reboot...

tindrli

Arcane
How developed are the pirate bits? Thinking about getting this since the Space Rangers series are my crack, just want to know if it's different enough from the original Space Rangers 2: Reboot...

no its not.. its the same game with extra content and its well worth it..

sadly i cant play it coz it gets freezed every god damn time i destroy a ship or asteroid or Finish ground battle...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah it's kind of a mirror image of a Coalition campaign (ie, your objective is to liberate systems for your faction and defend said systems from opposing factions). But it works in an interesting way in-game.

When you become aligned with the pirates you start a new rank career (think Cadet, Pilot, etc., which means more rewards and crap every time you advance). The way you earn points is also tweaked. Dominators no longer give the most points, instead pirates work around a combination of robbing / destroying civilian ships, destroying military ships, destroying non-pirate rangers and finally destroying military, business and ranger centers (I think it's those three). Liberating systems from either dominators or Coalition gives benefits in points and a one-time reward from a planet in the system as usual.

But engaging in any of these activities will make you take huge penalty hits to your reputation really quickly. So the trade-off is that now pirate-controlled systems (ie, systems where there's pirate ships and not a single military ship) also change the alignment of the planets within to the pirate faction. So any race's planet inside will be friendly to you as long as you're friendly to the pirates. In my game, pirates ended up controlling some 40% of the galaxy which made it really easy to raid Coalition systems and then go back to my thing. You can take government missions and everything in pirate worlds. Also, there's subtle but noticeable background changes in pirate worlds which is kinda neat.

All in all, I think it's fun and worthy of the price I paid. The new music is awesome and in line with the game's preexisting soundtrack, the new resolution looks great (planet backgrounds, especially, got reworked to use the whole of the screen instead of just resizing them, and there's an option to resize fonts so your eyes don't bleed). I got to try a few new text adventures and RTS missions and, on both counts, feel like they're right at home with the base game.

TL;DR: I enjoyed SR2 and Reboot, this one still worth it.

ColCol

Arcane
Played the original and liked it, but not a fan of the length of time it took to build a ship that could properly engage in combat.

tindrli

Arcane
Played the original and liked it, but not a fan of the length of time it took to build a ship that could properly engage in combat.

thats just not true.

With 10 % shield generator + 3 missile launchers you can destroy almost anything not to mention 4 of them, except dominator vessels, but they are not meant to be destroyed in beginning anyway.

ColCol

Arcane
Disagree, try to destroy any non-dominator ship early.The majority of them will be able to retreat to a planet or a base before you can finish them. Then you have dominators , you might be able to destroy a few of their ships in a battle, but it will still be impossible to survive a whole battle. Ultimately, average players will likely spend a considerable amount of beginning/early game time doing fetch and text quests to power up their ships. Maybe that's just my experience, but I played the game twice now and this has happened both times.

You can definitely kill civilian ships if you catch them away from planets. You don't want to do that though. Cargo ends up destroyed. Instead, simply extort ships for cash (or cargo if your scanners detect luxuries).

Unfortunately it's still far more profitable to simply trade. You can make lots of money very quickly if you do it properly. Take out a large loan immediately and then start the tutorial. When you get to the trade part of the tutorial you can clean out the planet and make loadsamoney. From there do a trade search for luxuries, buy low sell high as normal. Can usually trade loads of 200 luxuries at a time at a profit of around 50-75 credits each, that's 10-15k of profit each run, enough to pay off a loan in one run, buy a top tier hull in the next, and top tier equipment on the third. Can be equipped with the best stuff available in under a year.

The bigger problem is that it often takes a long time for good equipment to appear (especially on harder difficulties when Dominators conquer all but 2 or 3 systems within a month). Like I'm going to buy a laser pointer that takes up 70 fucking space on my ship. 90% of equipment I consider unusable because it takes up way more space than needed.

I'm talking purely about previous SR2 versions though, dunno how the new piracy stuff works since I haven't gotten SR2 HD yet.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
Disagree, try to destroy any non-dominator ship early.The majority of them will be able to retreat to a planet or a base before you can finish them. Then you have dominators , you might be able to destroy a few of their ships in a battle, but it will still be impossible to survive a whole battle. Ultimately, average players will likely spend a considerable amount of beginning/early game time doing fetch and text quests to power up their ships. Maybe that's just my experience, but I played the game twice now and this has happened both times.

Yep, i did notice at least in HD version that every vessel uses afterburner if its equipped with one. and they do run

SerratedBiz

Arcane
There's a good thing with the new customizable start options in that you can tweak the starting level of technology to your liking which eases up the pain of waiting for good stuff to come up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom