Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rangers: A War Apart (SR2 HD Remaster)

tindrli

Arcane
Sounds like my first solid playthrough might be better off without the pirates in the game. Seems like they kind of make everything an overly hectic shit-show. Thanks for the mod link, Latro.

NO. playing without pirates is wrong. just play the damn thing. dont start with impossible difficulty its pointless. modify difficulty as you see fit and enjoy

Jinn

Arcane
NO. playing without pirates is wrong. just play the damn thing. dont start with impossible difficulty its pointless. modify difficulty as you see fit and enjoy

But is it true that one of the only ways to really get by with the pirates in the game is by joining them? I don't want to be shoe-horned into siding with a faction just because that's the only way to get by in the game.

Terra

Cipher
I also didn't have any problems with pirates in my playthrough using standard difficulty settings. Keep an eye on the map screen as I think it highlights ongoing battles which you'll want to head to in order scavenge equipment, even if you can't/don't want to use it, it sells for a pretty penny. Be prepared to run away a lot when doing this and just pick your battles in general. Much later in the game I eventually sided against the pirates and they ended up pretty much wiped out. Only reason I never finished the game was one of the dominator bosses ended up being a pain to find/beat (I can't recall, it was years ago I last played).

flushfire

Augur
Just played this again and I just remembered how stupidly strong the pirates are if they are set above normal. 3 years in-game and they hold all but 3 non-dominator systems. Only 8 rangers left in the game. Devs should've been a little more creative and made them into something else because why would they resort to piracy when they can take over the whole universe instead. I like the added difficulty but Reboot was better balanced and more fun overall.

Norfleet

Are the rangers also pirates? I know I committed my fair share of Ranger-Piracy. I usually went and found whichever Ranger was ranked above me, and then blew him up to see if he had any loot. And to boost my own ranking.

tindrli

Arcane
Are the rangers also pirates? I know I committed my fair share of Ranger-Piracy. I usually went and found whichever Ranger was ranked above me, and then blew him up to see if he had any loot. And to boost my own ranking.
if i remember correctly there were some ranger pirates

Jabber

Educated
Playing this again after playing the original ~10 years ago. I kind of like some of the changes but the game feels like... SR2 with 50 mods installed that weren't really that well thought out.

I guess the pirate faction is OK? It feels shoehorned in and the balancing is a little weird. Its odd to have them control so much of the galaxy and change so much of the original game world. It's like something you would install as a mod after you got bored of the original game; except... it's instead the default and you can't turn it off without a bunch of file downloads from a russian website.

There's all sorts of new options at the different space stations like upgrading them and a bunch of other stuff. Seems... OK? But not like, clearly better.

The new equipment is all over the place. Now my scanners make my engine go faster, increase frag damage a bit, and cost me charisma. And my gripper makes my missiles do more damage. And my radar increases my gripper range but makes me a worse trader. Except the original equipment is still there, with no weird modifiers.

Ugh. And apparently the originals aren't available anymore because of some issue related to mp3 licensing.

At least search functionality is a lot better.

tindrli

Arcane
Playing this again after playing the original ~10 years ago. I kind of like some of the changes but the game feels like... SR2 with 50 mods installed that weren't really that well thought out.

I guess the pirate faction is OK? It feels shoehorned in and the balancing is a little weird. Its odd to have them control so much of the galaxy and change so much of the original game world. It's like something you would install as a mod after you got bored of the original game; except... it's instead the default and you can't turn it off without a bunch of file downloads from a russian website.

There's all sorts of new options at the different space stations like upgrading them and a bunch of other stuff. Seems... OK? But not like, clearly better.

The new equipment is all over the place. Now my scanners make my engine go faster, increase frag damage a bit, and cost me charisma. And my gripper makes my missiles do more damage. And my radar increases my gripper range but makes me a worse trader. Except the original equipment is still there, with no weird modifiers.

Ugh. And apparently the originals aren't available anymore because of some issue related to mp3 licensing.

At least search functionality is a lot better.

yes. youll learn to live with it.

duke

Literate
If only the choices made in text adventures had some impact on rest of the game, or at least choices that carry over to next text adventures. How many times can a guy get his name tattooed on his back in space prison? You'd think the fellow convicts would respect you for the tattoos you already have instead of having to get inked every single time.

Vezok

Novice
:necro:

I started with Normal difficulty and spent a few in-game years, learning the world and mechanics.

But even after obtaining high-end weapons, I couldn't fight the pirates as they were too many in numbers and the coalition kept fleeing from systems I took back.

After searching for solutions, it turned out the pirates were not as strong in the original space rangers 2.

I could just use the no pirate mod in this thread, but I want to complete the game on vanilla.

What is the custom setting for hd that is the closest to the balance of original space rangers 2 reboot? This includes pirates and any other modifications hd version made.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'd just get Space Rangers 2 Reboot which is think is definitive version.
The pirate addition on Steam has some issues like you mentioned.

Vezok

Novice
I bought it on gog but they're the same HD version so that's not important

Is there any way of getting Reboot legally? AFAIK it was taken down due to soundtrack copyright

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Probably not. I had bought it on i believe Impulse (Stardock's old platform) and saved the full install folder so i could have the game. Doesn't need to be installed, if i want to play it i just copy the folder over and its done. Works great if i want to carry it on a usb and just plug in and play anywhere.

Vezok

Novice
Guess I need to go sailing in the seven seas. Thanks for the reply!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Probably not. I had bought it on i believe Impulse (Stardock's old platform) and saved the full install folder so i could have the game. Doesn't need to be installed, if i want to play it i just copy the folder over and its done. Works great if i want to carry it on a usb and just plug in and play anywhere.

Maybe you should upload it. In case your USB gets fried. And then share it in case ours does.

Silly-Girl-Wink-Gif.gif

Edit to add: I've bought 2 different copies of SR2 so I believe I'm entitled to this.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
No worries ill send you the link. Yes i've bought the game three times myself (original DVD, Impulse and Steam ).

Endemic

Arcane
I started with Normal difficulty and spent a few in-game years, learning the world and mechanics.

But even after obtaining high-end weapons, I couldn't fight the pirates as they were too many in numbers and the coalition kept fleeing from systems I took back

Yeah the overpowered pirates were a common complaint about HD. I just modded them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom