Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Space RPG Star Traders: Frontiers Released

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
'procedurally-generated' Not interested.
Galaxies can be generated by random seed. Other than that the storyline is hand-made, but with plenty of options, and the rest of the game is fairly open.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just to know, in addition to (arguably) the art, what else in this game looks like a free flash game? I'm curious.
There were (are?) a lot of flash with some of the same basic structure of having a ship + traveling in space + trading + combat (usually ship to ship), with the same goal of becoming rich and buying a bigger ship and making even more money and so on.

Edit: I should have added that ST is way better than this crap, with better graphics, more content and better systems.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Just to know, in addition to (arguably) the art, what else in this game looks like a free flash game? I'm curious.
There were (are?) a lot of flash with some of the same basic structure of having a ship + traveling in space + trading + combat (usually ship to ship), with the same goal of becoming rich and buying a bigger ship and making even more money and so on.
FTL and Space Rangers might as well be flashgames, who gives a fuck.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Is there an actual story in the game? How are the fights so far? It's everything like a roguelike or are important dungeons pre-build?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And Neoscavengers is a flash game, so there's that.

That being said, I don't quite like the aesthetics here.

tindrli

Arcane

space rangers could never, ever be a mobile game

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there an actual story in the game?
Yes.
The early parts that I went through until I got bored to death by the gameplay were nothing special though. Increase your relations with X through bribing or missions or having the right skills ins some little text adventure segment or whatever and then get sent on some random errand to some star system I don't give a fuck about in hostile space and run away from everything you encounter there. Then more errands.
Errand boy, the game.
Also the faction mechanics reminded me of that unbearable grind in Elite Dangerous. Same shit in a different wrapping.

This game is a demonstration of all that's wrong with procedural generated content and a narrative relying too heavily on faction mechanics.
It was quaint when they bragged about those NCR and Legion patrols meeting and killing each other in New Vegas. Ridiculously superficial but funny in how they praised system driven gameplay as the next big thing in emergent storytelling.
It was all lies though.

Stories need to be handwritten by people that are good at writing stories. If you want them branching out then do that but don't water them down until they fit into some arbitrary, soulless mission design scheme that makes it easier for you to put them into the game. Because then nobody will still be able to get immersed in the story anymore, and if the gameplay itself is rather meh like in this case here what's left to like really?

Last edited:

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth

space rangers could never, ever be a mobile game

Seconded. Those infuriating ground battles in all their rage inducing glory
could never be replicated with the same deep emotional backlash on mobile.
I am kidding. A little bit. Space Ranger has quiet much going on. I can't imagine
simulating and navigating it's universe on a small hand-held screen. But then again,
I couldn't even stomach playing snake on my old nokia. So, yeah.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I disagree pretty strongly with Golfer above.

The game offers a huge sandbox with a ton of interlocking systems that you can fuck around with. Its actually relatively similar in that regard to a game like Mount & Blade, as in that you are thrown into a world and free to do whatever. I suppose Kenishi is also like that, though I haven't played that yet.

Only it offers way more opportunities than M&B for you to make your fortune and is much heavier on content. You can focus on trading, on pirating, on exploring, on diplomacy and faction politics. And indeed also story missions.

And all of these things interlock in various complex ways. If you focus on exploring but forget to take care of your contacts, good luck finding a way to make a buck from illegal goods you might come across. Even story missions can come to a halt if you have shit reputation with that faction. And those faction politics are constantly changing, so there is a lot to take into account. And the game is actually super stat heavy in that regard and there are tons of different ways to go about your business even if you focus on one thing. Lets say you want to be pirate, will you get a crew of gunners and a heavy cruiser and blast your enemies in space or will you get a small ship and build it toward boarding combat? Will you also need experts crew in case you'll figh Xeno? Smugglers to gain your access to the black market? There are many possibilities and choices to make.

If you are looking for a linear RPG to play through a story from a to b this is indeed the wrong game. If you like free form gameplay and feel like larping immersing yourself in a sandbox this is an excellent game to take a look at.

Last edited:

Vagiel

Augur
I bought this on a whim expecting to be bord and I can't seem to put it down. Playing it in a semi iron man mode the amount of choices and paths is staggering knowing that more will be added over time. Even the dunesk setting is nice.

It has really inspired me to check their other game star trader's 4x . Anyone has any experience with it?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played 4x but I've been shilling Templar Battleforce ever since I played it, its an underrated gem if your are into turn-based squad tactics. Its also the same setting, plays shortly before STF.

Emily

Arcane
I haven't played 4x but I've been shilling Templar Battleforce ever since I played it, its an underrated gem if your are into turn-based squad tactics. Its also the same setting, plays shortly before STF.
can u link me your review of TB i am interested into it?

Morkar Left

It has really inspired me to check their other game star trader's 4x . Anyone has any experience with it?

I could be wrong, only played for 6 hours. But it doesn't hold up that well in my book. It just lacks diplomacy options. The house conflicts aren't shining through and there is no diplomcy with xenos. The later is one is ok but not being able to really deal with house conflictsis such a waisted opportunity...

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

The game offers a huge sandbox with a ton of interlocking systems that you can fuck around with. Its actually relatively similar in that regard to a game like Mount & Blade, as in that you are thrown into a world and free to do whatever. I suppose Kenishi is also like that, though I haven't played that yet.

Only it offers way more opportunities than M&B for you to make your fortune and is much heavier on content. You can focus on trading, on pirating, on exploring, on diplomacy and faction politics. And indeed also story missions.

And all of these things interlock in various complex ways. If you focus on exploring but forget to take care of your contacts, good luck finding a way to make a buck from illegal goods you might come across. Even story missions can come to a halt if you have shit reputation with that faction. And those faction politics are constantly changing, so there is a lot to take into account. And the game is actually super stat heavy in that regard and there are tons of different ways to go about your business even if you focus on one thing. Lets say you want to be pirate, will you get a crew of gunners and a heavy cruiser and blast your enemies in space or will you get a small ship and build it toward boarding combat? Will you also need experts crew in case you'll figh Xeno? Smugglers to gain your access to the black market? There are many possibilities and choices to make.

If you are looking for a linear RPG to play through a story from a to b this is indeed the wrong game. If you like free form gameplay and feel like larping immersing yourself in a sandbox this is an excellent game to take a look at.
Fair enough. I suppose I didn't find the different gameplay elements engaging enough in the long run. And leveling up your crew was just confusing as fuck, since I didn't know what most of these skills really do (read: are they as beneficial as the game makes them sound or not?) and nowadays I avoid anything like the plague that makes me trial and error too much.
And I figured that no matter how I play it it still comes down to basically the same gameplay experience since combat, diplomacy, planet exploration etc all seemed very narrow and limited in scope.

The few hours I spent with this game felt like a collection of mini games, and whereas I liked that in Star Control 2 (the minigames were arcadey there so they went by quickly and didn't bore me too much - also the NPCs are quirky and entertaining there and the story is fixed and pretty great) I didn't appreciate it here.
Also trading is boring as fuck.

Last edited:

Emily

Arcane

Fair enough. I suppose I didn't find the different gameplay elements engaging enough in the long run. And leveling up your crew was just confusing as fuck, since I didn't know what most of these skills really do (read: are they as beneficial as the game makes them sound or not?) and nowadays I avoid anything like the plague that makes me trial and error too much.
And I figured that no matter how I play it it still comes down to basically the same gameplay experience since combat, diplomacy, planet exploration etc all seemed very narrow and limited in scope.

The few hours I spent with this game felt like a collection of mini games, and whereas I liked that in Star Control 2 (the minigames were arcadey there so they went by quickly and didn't bore me too much - also the NPCs are quirky and entertaining there and the story is fixed and pretty great) I didn't appreciate it here.
Trading is always borning tho in any game. I dont recall any game making it meaningful and risky/gamey. There is simply not a lot to it at the end of the day.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Trading is always borning tho in any game. I dont recall any game making it meaningful and risky/gamey. There is simply not a lot to it at the end of the day.

At least in this game there's the different level of authorized goods, which require permit from factions or finding an independent world to sell them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom