Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space RTS, make a list

urmom

Learned
I'm just saying Homeworld Remastered was a huge mess balance-wise after releasing that patch. Remember that Homeworld Remastered has four playable races whereas HW1 Classic only had two (nearly identical) races. That's a lot of stuff to balance!

[edit]

Forgot to mention that ballistic weapons are a lot harder to balance. I am not an expert, but you have to take into account projectile speed and maneuverability, turret tracking angle and speed, spacecraft positional armor and flight capabilities, etc. etc. Versus each weapon only having an RNG that can be tweaked in a text file somewhere. Which is probably why Gearbox totally abandoned the game never to be seen again immediately after releasing that patch. (Possibly, they were also reeling from how badly Battleborn tanked.)

I should praise HW2 Remastered for how much prettier it is than HW2 Classic.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
OK guys I got Homeworld Remastered on steam and don't see the option to install the old games. Only one game titled Homeworld Remastered Collection has appeared in my library. How do I install HW1 and 2 classic versions?

Beowulf

Arcane
AI War 1-3
Sins of a Solar Empire and Rebellion
Does Planetary Annihilation count?

Also, which is the best Homeworld to get for someone who hasn't played any of them? I heard the remastered ones, 1 and 2, have had mechanics changed / dumbed down so is it better to get the gog versions which come with the classic games to get the proper experience? Also, what about Cataclysm / Emergence? I've heard many people say its the best and it hasn't received the remastering treatment.

:drink:
Time flies fast, ehh? Not even a year since the kickstarter for AI War 2. Damn greedy developer releases another sequel.

On the topic of Homeworld remasters - if you want to try MP check if they enabled the crossplay between different platform (GOG and Steam) releases. From what I remember it wasn't possible, but they might have fixed that.

Zibniyat

Arcane
homeworld cataclysm (the best homeworld)

It is barely a Homeworld game at all, tonally it's completely different. The maps are uglier, ships are uglier, the story is whatever, ship roles had been completely altered to a point of non-recognition etc.

I now realise why I had never heard of this game for over a decade, it's best left forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

game is amazing, especially considering the year it came out. The graphics still look good enough today, and it came out like 1999 or 2000?

Simple click of that Steam link would've told you that it was 2004.

but not clicking I was a few years off, so who cares?

Tech advancement happened pretty fast until PS2/XBOX stagnation killed interesting genres.
Even months made major difference back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Conquest: Frontier Wars. An old, rather traditional RTS. One interesting innovation was that maps consisted of multiple systems and your units could jump between them along wormholes. Three different races, but the SP campaign only lets you play humans.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Also, which is the best Homeworld to get for someone who hasn't played any of them? I heard the remastered ones, 1 and 2, have had mechanics changed / dumbed down so is it better to get the gog versions which come with the classic games to get the proper experience? Also, what about Cataclysm / Emergence? I've heard many people say its the best and it hasn't received the remastering treatment.
Play Homeworld 1, original/classic first. Play Cataclysm second. Play the remastered versions of 1 & 2 after that.

There is a similarity between the Homeworld series and the Fallout series, in that Homeworld is the best example of premise, but it's not flawless; Cataclysm (like Fallout 2) has fixes and improved or additional features.

I would often play Cataclysm multiplayer skirmishes that would last 2 to 4 hours— superb game. There is nothing quite like pulling off a blast from the siege cannon—point blank on an opponent's command ship, and hyperspace warping away from the scene, just as the blast wave approaches your own ship—and leaves the opponent's ship a smoldering ruin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom