Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Space Shock, the Grimrock In Space which became Arkania In Space, is now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ideas Unbound Studio; Space Shock

Earlier this year, the Codex learned of the existence of Ideas Unbound Studio's Space Shock, an in-development sci-fi dungeon crawler inspired by Legend of Grimrock and System Shock. The project lead, Roman "Jonsnovv" Pajdlhauser even showed up on our forums, where he benefited from the Codex's sage advice. Several months later, Jonsnovv showed up again to inform us that the game had been retooled, incorporating both isometric turn-based combat and free movement outside of combat, making it more similar to the Realms of Arkania games. And then he went off the grid once more. Until yesterday, that is, when Space Shock appeared on Kickstarter:

Space Shock is an RPG game set in Space. Space Shock is the younger brother of all famous dungeon crawlers the RPG fans could play in the past and it still can be played via emulators on our beloved PCs. Space Shock will not be an ordinary Dungeon crawler, but rather Sci-fi based, which the players have not seen the likes of for years. The dungeons, forests, old cities will be replaced by huge ships, space stations and bases built on the planet surfaces and their moons. The player will take a party of heroes and needs to lead them through the real ‘Survival of the Fittest’ environment. It will be hard to crawl past all robots, droids, defense systems, aliens, mutants and get out of the ghost ship which you have boarded as a group of Space pirates. As the younger brother to all dungeon crawlers, Space Shock does not suffer from all the growing pains of its older brothers and will become a modern and revolutionary dungeon crawling game, offering everything you loved before and much more you can find in many of new RPG games.​

There are plenty more details on the Kickstarter page. The funding goal is set at 150,000 pounds sterling. Does it have a chance? Probably not. But it won't hurt to give it some publicity.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was kinda hoping that the combat would have been similar to the one in Legend of Grimrock - probably wouldn't have made any sense from game balancing point of view, but I'd still have preferred it over the current tactical combat that looks somewhat underwhelming.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was kinda hoping that the combat would have been similar to the one in Legend of Grimrock - probably wouldn't have made any sense from game balancing point of view, but I'd still have preferred it over the current tactical combat that looks somewhat underwhelming.
:notsureifserious:

The combat looks much better than the RT Mambo that was Grimrock*.

*not to say I didn't enjoy that game but I'll take a RoA type combat system over most RT combat.

Misconnected

Savant
:notsureifserious:

The combat looks much better than the RT Mambo that was Grimrock*.

*not to say I didn't enjoy that game but I'll take a RoA type combat system over most RT combat.

QFT. Why the hell would you want DM style RT combat? The only thing it does "well" is shifting challenge away from the game content and onto the game interface. I'll grant that it does this every bit as well as, say, Resident Evil 4. But just about every other game can offer a similar meta challenge without being meta-only: just break your wrist before you sit down to play.

... Again though, why the fuck would you want that?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a point a few months ago where he still had the first person perspective but had changed to turn-based combat.

Zeriel

Arcane
I kind of like the first person/turn-based combat model better. But that's really only because the art and assets used looks nice from that angle/distance, and a bit less so from the isometric perspective.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I agree, to me it's more a visual preference as well. The immersion is lost when perspective changes from first person to isometric combat, especially if this game is trying to invoke similar tension to System Shock.

And yes, I know about Realms of Arkania.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Arkania
Arcania
heh heh heh heh

Seriously though this sounds like a pretty bad idea. The change in perspective reveals more of the map than the FP perspective. They need to add some sort of FoV or something, else the combat screen is going to be the preferable view.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I wanna like this, but I don't feel like they really know what they are doing... seems like they have some features they want, like first-person dungeon crawling and isometric turn-based combat, but still didn't managed to make them work together...

Misconnected

Savant
Wow, reminds me of the new XCOM.

Of course they do. Humans vs. aliens in TB combat. It's not like there's much more than 1 game every 10 years that does this. But Incubation and FiraXcom are about as comparable as FiraXcom and Temple of Elemental Evil: Incubation's combat mechanics are on the level of tabletop Space Hulk, so even more primitive than FiraXcom's, and it's encounter design and campaign pacing are even tighter compared to FiraXcom, than FiraXcom's ditto compared to ToEE.

Basically Incubation is Space Hulk, in the sense that the gameplay experience is almost exactly the same. But Incubation isn't and never was a boardgame. Incidentally, Incubation can be gotten from GOG and it is utter fucking greatness.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The guy is annoying as fuck. The game cannot be different.

Edit: Using Unreal engine for this is reta.... a good choice.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
People begging for blob combat...

650zHd.gif

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Basically Codex is responsible for the changes so y'all fuckers better put your money where your mouth is -- that said, I don't think they have any chance of hitting $230k. And $20ish entry price for this is too high. I doubt it'll have anything near the depth of Wasteland 2. A lot of these guys really overreach in setting their game-tier prices.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I backed this, but they are asking for too much. An unknown studio asking for that much money is likely to fail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom