Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

lightbane

Arcane
Tried the demo. The art style is a bit odd and for a moment I feared I couldn't zoom in, but it turns out you can. The game needs a "Take all" button to take all stuff from a container. Pathfinding also needs some rework, as my PC often gets stuck.
It also seems that no matter how much I increase my charisma-related skills, my PC still acts like he was an anxious wreck judging from the writing. Also, I dunno if it's intentional but you can't get stuck and be unable to play the tutorial because the PC can't get himself to talk to the receptionist. :lol:

The tutorial is hardcore and can kill you. In fact, it's meant to be an unwinnable VR scenario. I was close getting to one of the shuttles to escape after hiding myself using an old miner space suit, but one of the guards vaporized me. I tried the main campaign, but the lack of saving of any kind (or that I could find) made me feel uninterested to complete it, although to compensate I guess it's short.

Looks good, although it seems you have to specialize whether you want or not, as your stats are always quite low.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
You can use a neutral gender if that counts, but it is optional and not selected by default unlike Woketech.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
lightbane thanks for checking out the updated demo and sharing feedback!

For the context - we've added a bonus content pack which is - sort of - a combat demo. Sort of, because you still can complete it without engaging in combat at all. But - it is intended as a challenging playground for those who want an RPG "puzzle" to solve. Or - quickly test various builds.

Also, I dunno if it's intentional but you can't get stuck and be unable to play the tutorial because the PC can't get himself to talk to the receptionist. :lol:

That is not a soft-lock/bug, you can actually still proceed in at least two ways that does not involve any skill checks.

1. you can always solve any communication problems with a bit of alcohol. Either drink it before or have it in inventory, but it should give you enough courage and persistence to talk to people.

2. you can drug the receptionist - if you pay attention to her routine, she regularly hydrates herself from a personal water bottle in the fridge. All you need is a sleeping pill and...

3. there's a vent behind her back that let's you access the room even without the keycard. Though you probably cannot be too fat.

lightbane

Arcane
Will you be able to save anywhere in the full game? Even if you can't save-scum, being able to save is essential IMO, no matter how short the game is meant to be.

Will you be able to improve your stats ingame after char creation? Speaking of: What's the minimum score needed to not be labelled bad at something? Ie: Social stuff, which at 2 or 3 your character is still described as socially anxious.
Moreover, a char stat of 1 means you have to be quite ugly, if people find you repulsive even while wearing a space suit :lol:
What's the max a stat can grow to?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Will you be able to save anywhere in the full game? Even if you can't save-scum, being able to save is essential IMO, no matter how short the game is meant to be.

You can in the demo as well. The game is autosaving at certain points (after a conversation, when changing maps etc.) and you can manually force it to save just by opening the main menu. If your character dies or if you close the app, just CONTINUE from the main menu.

What it implies, though, is that we have only a single slot for save games which is constantly overwritten. This is a design decision - we don't want you to lose any progress but we want to make all your decisions persistent.

Will you be able to improve your stats ingame after char creation?
That is still something we are working on but - yes - to a certain degree. However, it probably won't be your typical RPG power creep, should expect minor increases. Also, attributes - PHYSICAL, FOCUS, etc. - probably will be immutable for the playthrough as they define your character. Also, note that WORK attribute affects how much XP (and thus - levelups) you gain, at minimumu, 1, the rate is only 40%, so you are getting way less experience.

Also, note, experience is rewarded almost exclusively for completing quests.

Speaking of: What's the minimum score needed to not be labelled bad at something? Ie: Social stuff, which at 2 or 3 your character is still described as socially anxious.

Stat scores can be described like this -
1 - super bad
2 - below average
3 - above average
4 - good
5 - exceptional

3 is used as the "normal" baseline for skill checks - e.g. - most doors will have difficulty of 3 to roll over, or vents have size check around 3. 1 is always a problem, but 2 is also sometimes a problem. 3 should be fine for most stats.

As per socially inept - pay attention to your character evaluator read out when creating you character - it will warn you about "RED FLAGS" - if you have any. Like, if you will have trouble talking to people, interacting with computers, and so on. You can then go BACK and adjust your character.

See here -

SW-character-evaluator.gif

Moreover, a char stat of 1 means you have to be quite ugly, if people find you repulsive even while wearing a space suit :lol:

Yeah, you ARE ugly at 1 :D. But it's not just about your physical appearance - with a low CHARM attribute score you have a very unpleasant image. You seem boring, evil, maybe too aggressive or annoying - you know, people that just lack emotional inteligence and routinely insult everyone around them. Low speech signifies that you are an introvert, socially inept, afraid of strangers. You are the guy who cannot speak to a girl in bar not because you are ugly but because you are insecure. Alcohol helps with that temporarily, though.

What's the max a stat can grow to?

However, sometimes it can go over board with modifiers. And, of course, in rolls - theoretically up to 9 (base 5 + 4 success dice)

Alphons

Cipher
Had a hilarious bug- my char had low Perception and I used an option Float to in one of the rooms on the lower level that I haven't scouted out entirely.

The tile I clicked was hidden and when I got closer it turned out to be a locked door. I clipped through into the next room and was killed by a cambot, because I couldn't lockpick the door.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Had a hilarious bug- my char had low Perception and I used an option Float to in one of the rooms on the lower level that I haven't scouted out entirely.

The tile I clicked was hidden and when I got closer it turned out to be a locked door. I clipped through into the next room and was killed by a cambot, because I couldn't lockpick the door.

Ouch. I have heard something about locked door teleport bug. Thanks for raising this issue!

lightbane

Arcane
You can in the demo as well. The game is autosaving at certain points (after a conversation, when changing maps etc.) and you can manually force it to save just by opening the main menu. If your character dies or if you close the app, just CONTINUE from the main menu.
Fair enough, I didn't notice that while I tried the game.
I still would prefer to save-scum somehow, but that's not necessary.
How long will the game last on average? What if I wanted to do everything?

That is still something we are working on but - yes - to a certain degree. However, it probably won't be your typical RPG power creep, should expect minor increases. Also, attributes - PHYSICAL, FOCUS, etc. - probably will be immutable for the playthrough as they define your character. Also, note that WORK attribute affects how much XP (and thus - levelups) you gain, at minimumu, 1, the rate is only 40%, so you are getting way less experience.

Fair enough. I'll have to find out a way to start with all stats at 3 or higher to have a powergamer playthrough, as right now the game forces you to specialize.

You seem boring, evil, maybe too aggressive or annoying - you know, people that just lack emotional inteligence and routinely insult everyone around them. Low speech signifies that you are an introvert, socially inept, afraid of strangers. You are the guy who cannot speak to a girl in bar not because you are ugly but because you are insecure. Alcohol helps with that temporarily, though.

But I need a CHARM and related skills to 3 minimum to stop that, which is annoying as that means I can't be a good engineer who's also good-looking, or at least not a nerd.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
How long will the game last on average? What if I wanted to do everything?

To complete, one play-through of a story branch is estimated at around 3-5 hours.

"Do everything" is harder to answer. First of all, you will not be able to achieve 100% completion in a single play-through. It's because there are self-excluding quests and decisions, some quests unlock only if you are certain gender or have certain skills. Another reason is that somewhere in this first location game essentially splits in two major branches with completely different locations (including NPCs and subquests).

Usually, for streamers, it takes around 3 hours to cover most of the content in the demo with multiple replays, but, then again, our tester had spent ~25 hours on the first location and even then was surprised to discover something unfamiliar (and untested :D). Also, since then we have added even more content.

But I need a CHARM and related skills to 3 minimum to stop that [..]

First of all, 2 is not that bad. You can theoretically get a critical fail (if you get a bonus -2 of 4 dice) but that happens rarely. Secondly, you can focus on speech, because even if you are ugly, given enough self-confidence, you can start the conversation anyway (it's CHARM check first then if you fail, you have speech check).

But...yeah, the game is intended to force you to compromise.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Since the developer is in this thread(I think we might have scared him away though, heh)

It`s a bit of an absurd question but,
I`m curisous regarding container game design.

Played the demo, I spent half the time going through containers and doing inventory management. Might be because my physical was 1.
I imagine when I get use to the game and understand what items do, I can easily ignore some items and take others.

But from a game design purpose, what do you see for putting a huge amount of containers with random items in the first area? It is partially a crafting game? (Not criticism, I loved what I played of the demo!, Wishlisted, just curisous)

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
(I think we might have scared him away though, heh)

Nah, it's fine. I would not expect anything less from Codex:)

I mean, people should've known better than to trust the game with three genders ;)

Anyways, I'll update you with the latest wishlist churn numbers in the following days.

It`s a bit of an absurd question but,
I`m curisous regarding container game design.

However I spent half the time going through containers and doing inventory management. Might be because My physical was 1.
I imagine when I get use to the game and understand what items do I can easily ignore some items and take others.

But from a game design purpose, what do you see for putting a huge amount of containers with random items in the first area? It is partially a crafting game? (Not criticism, I loved what I played of the demo!, Wishlisted, just curisous)

Excellent topic. I've thought about it and settled on this version because it feels natural - there's a lot of crap laying around. Filtering what you need and what you dont is part of the gameplay - and it actually depends in your character build. Having too much stuff in the first area is supposed to teach you that you dont need everything.

Thats btw, why there isnt a button Take all - I want player to think when looting, not just mindlessly grab everyting and then sell for coin.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-direct-control-short.gif

Disabling security in Space Wreck is not just an ON/OFF option. After you pass the initial scitec check, you can

• disable the bots right away
  • turn the robot friendly with an additional scitec
  • take over cambot directly with additional tools (Soldering iron) and component (R/C controller) and succesful tinker skill check

Each of these options has its own nuanced benefits. For example, if you disable the bot, you can scavenge it for parts. If you turn it friendly, it will attack your enemies. If you take them over directly, the bot actually is "neutral" and that allows you to scout an area ahead without engaging in direct combat.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-xp-progress-levelup.gif

In Space Wreck you get experience ONLY for completing todos (quests). That means combat is not a source of XP.

Quite often in RPGs, it is disproportionally lucrative to murder anything that moves, because it grants XP and thus makes your character more powerful, even outside combat. Sometimes it even prompts some meta-gaming. We wanted to avoid that and, also, escape associated XP inflation. No matter if your character is Rambo or Gandhi (non-Civ version), you'll have the same XP potential. (Well, sort of. Depending on your WORK attribute, your XP rate can vary very strongly - from 80% to almost 200%. But that's a different story.)

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Introducing marks -
positive (or negative!) context-sensitive character quirks.

marks-in-charsheet-cropped.gif

Every odd level-up you get a positive mark. But! On every even one - must pick both positive AND negative one as well.

Marks are the main way you will update your character during the gameplay - there won't be no "free" skill points or attribute points to spend after the creation of the character.

While similar to perks and traits from, e.g., Fallout games, in most cases marks are not straight-up raw skill/attribute bonuses, they are conditional; based on a situation. For example, a mark can be active if you have eaten something. Or are carrying a lot. And so on.

get-xp-progress.gif

There's another word for XP in Space Wreck. It's stress. A bit like in real life, negative marks represent malicious effects of the stress your character is experiencing. Note: characters with lower WORK attribute ("lazier") have a lower XP rate and thus get fewer marks.

Let's check out a positive mark!

image.png

The"Contortionist" can open new ways across the map. But, as I said, it's conditional - you must undress before using any vents. This can put you in a risky situation - what if there's no air on the other side? Or somebody hostile?

Now onto a negative mark...

image.png

"Obsessive accounting" seems almost harmless because the negative effect kicks in only in a very specific case. However, in reality, you'll have to keep it in mind and take it into account every time you are looting containers.

===

In Space Wreck, level-up'ing is a bit of a double-edged sword - on the one hand, you are getting [situationally] more powerful. But on the other, you also gain specific weaknesses. Both of these things help to personalize your character and also add a distinctive touch to your gameplay.

P.S.
Marks are not currently available in this demo version.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
Kamaz Anything Fallout inspired is welcome and i wish you some very good sale numbers; follows a personal opinion, no offense meant.

- All these conditional situations, the numbers and stats underlying them, the guaranteed min-maxing and near constant calculating they entail.. if your audience is a niche of a niche, ignore me. Otherwise, you might want to rethink the direction a bit; i can understand the attraction behind adding your own "touches", obviously the inclination to include anything worthy/original you've come up with, but this leads to a lot of 'meta'. You're literally asking for this audience, possibly to the exclusion of everyone else. Autistic times, so this may not necessarily entail what i think it might, but, food for thought. Most people, they just want to play. Not stop and count every so often, on each and every occasion that may merit it. And then reload times 'n'.
- Connected to the above; combat equaling no XP means you're in need of an excellent story or some pretty engaging mini-puzzles or riddles. Enough, in both quantity and quality, to overcome the lack of what's considered the primary aspect of every RPG: combat. Creative (story, mini-puzzles and riddles) in both scope and style, to fit in what is very distinctly not an adventure game. Tough goal. You hooked them, but then you gotta keep them too, always harder.

Could name you titles you're probably already aware of that had either or both of the above, and.. they didn't go down all that well.

You're probably about to reply that it fits the shortness of the game and that one is meant to replay it a number of times, but whether they'll bother.. i hope the carrot is good and enticing enough to override that of combat.
Which leads me to my second and last pre-emptive (sorry), that -you will say- you can still "fight", you "just don't get XP". Am aware. Am also aware how that has felt, each and every time someone else did it. not well i can tell you :)
Just taking it all in, giving my own perspective.

Am sure a low price could be incentive enough for most people, but in the long run, your benefit is the majority of them finishing/completing the game. Different thing.
I fear you're (albeit very creatively) making this harder on yourself than it needs to be.

Again, no offense, hope it sells well.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Kamaz
Anything Fallout inspired is welcome and i wish you some very good sale numbers; follows a personal opinion, no offense meant.

- All these conditional situations, the numbers and stats underlying them, the guaranteed min-maxing and near constant calculating they entail.. if your audience is a niche of a niche, ignore me. Otherwise, you might want to rethink the direction a bit; i can understand the attraction behind adding your own "touches", obviously the inclination to include anything worthy/original you've come up with, but this leads to a lot of 'meta'. You're literally asking for this audience, possibly to the exclusion of everyone else. Autistic times, so this may not necessarily entail what i think it might, but, food for thought. Most people, they just want to play. Not stop and count every so often, on each and every occasion that may merit it. And then reload times 'n'.
- Connected to the above; combat equaling no XP means you're in need of an excellent story or some pretty engaging mini-puzzles or riddles. Enough, in both quantity and quality, to overcome the lack of what's considered the primary aspect of every RPG: combat. Creative (story, mini-puzzles and riddles) in both scope and style, to fit in what is very distinctly not an adventure game. Tough goal. You hooked them, but then you gotta keep them too, always harder.

Could name you titles you're probably already aware of that had either or both of the above, and.. they didn't go down all that well.

You're probably about to reply that it fits the shortness of the game and that one is meant to replay it a number of times, but whether they'll bother.. i hope the carrot is good and enticing enough to override that of combat.
Which leads me to my second and last pre-emptive (sorry), that -you will say- you can still "fight", you "just don't get XP". Am aware. Am also aware how that has felt, each and every time someone else did it. not well i can tell you :)
Just taking it all in, giving my own perspective.

Am sure a low price could be incentive enough for most people, but in the long run, your benefit is the majority of them finishing/completing the game. Different thing.
I fear you're (albeit very creatively) making this harder on yourself than it needs to be.

Again, no offense, hope it sells well.

:mob:
that -you will say- you can still "fight", you "just don't get XP". Am aware. Am also aware how that has felt, each and every time someone else did it. not well i can tell you
Either doesn't like or hasn't played AoD/UR, opinion should be decisively and thoroughly discarded.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom