Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-holster-w-security-spacesuit.gif

1.1.96 Starmap update
Decision map, character marks, weapon holster and many other changes.

While working on the full version of the game, many more minor and bigger improvements have piled up and will be released to the demo version in this major update. That includes:
  • Star map with your story decisions mapped out and visualized.
  • The new level-up system with positive/negative character marks.
  • UI adjustments - notifications, new inventory/looting interface layout.
  • New starting preset for "combat" char.
  • Holster/unholster weapon button to avoid weird hostile reactions.
  • Updated also some demo quests with additional options, particularly Finn Alley's arc.
  • Obstacle highlighting while targeting or zero-G leaping.
  • NPC behaviours in combat and as companions.
Here is the news post on Steam (with pictures!):
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1063540/view/3180116240854404477

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-throw-2.gif

Junk items can be a useful distraction. Handy, if you want to lure unsuspecting NPCs to a more favourable position.

This is a small mechanic but it 1) makes `junk` items more useful; 2) gives you tools to manipulate character positions.

This, along with location design - small sandbox hub worlds with absolute freedom to explore, functional items - poisonable bottles, floor cutting tools etc., and many ways to approach the objective, multi-layered story structure - have been inspired by Hitman games.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Junk items can be a useful distraction. Handy, if you want to lure unsuspecting NPCs to a more favourable position.

This is a small mechanic but it 1) makes `junk` items more useful; 2) gives you tools to manipulate character positions.

this is what good design looks like

give this man a job

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

this is what good design looks like

give this man a job
So he can be distracted from getting this ready?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
futurama-good-news-everyone.gif

CLOSED BETA
Space Wreck is moving into closed BETA!

TL;DR

The full version of the game has been in internal BETA testing for a few months now and lately, it feels like we are ready to move on to the next stage of the process - the closed BETA.

First, what does that all even mean? "Internal BETA" means that the game has 100% content but is too buggy to be shown to anybody outside the shed, we test it ourselves. "Closed BETA" is the stage when we feel the build is palatable enough so that more people, from the "outside", could be invited to test the game. This is where we are now. What's the next step after that? Well, it's "public BETA" or, as it is customary to say these days, Early Access release.

Long story short - we are inching closer to the release.

BETA TESTING
That brings us to the next topic: we need testers for the full game. If you feel so adventurous and mad, feel free to ping me. For now, we are easing in slowly, with only a couple of people required.

Before you do, though, a couple of things -

PROS
+ you get to play the full version of the game NOW
+ your feedback will help in the development
+ you don't have to pay money for it!

CONS
- it's a fucking buggy POS
- you'll play the worst version of the game, thus being unable to enjoy a - potentially - more polished final version
- testing is work, actually, and we are not going to pay you

STATUS
The game has all the planned content in it already, except for a few placeholders here and there. It should be completable but, of course, there are bugs, including and not limited to - game-stopping bugs. Which is the primary goal of this testing - to get rid of all game-stopping/critical bugs.

PLATFORM
For testing, we deploy Windows builds using Steam.

FORMAT
At least for the few first playthroughs, you will need to record and share a video (e.g. YouTube unlisted link). No commentary, just a playthrough video. For communication we use a Discord server, so the bugs could be shared there.

SPOILERS
For obvious reasons we'd like to ask you not to share any story/plot details publicly, as well as screenshots of the locations before the official launch. However, feel free to publicly discuss and criticise the game - mechanics, combat, design, and writing.

---

If you are still interested, reach out to me and we'll work out the details. Keep in mind, though, that if there's huge interest - like, 2 people - we will not be able to accommodate everyone.

Swole dude

Novice
Hello,

Will this be available on GOG, I refuse to give those steam cucks any money after they locked my account

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Hello,

Will this be available on GOG, I refuse to give those steam cucks any money after they locked my account

Hi!
Not sure about GOG - I reached out to them but unfortunately they did not accept Space Wreck, at least as EA version, the shortness was their main concern if I recall. (Apparently, there is a Community wishlist going, though.)

However, if you just don't want to use Steam, we are planning to release it on itch.io as well.

motherfucker

Educated
So basically getting the demo was as complicated as registering another Steam account.
It launched without problems, runs reasonably well on my piece of shit 2011 laptop(some optimization might be in order). Love the game so far, especially the dice roll animation on skill checks, aesthetic af.
p8qe2t.png

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer

A short preview of what the game's editor looks like, main functionality.

Thanks for reposting this here! I thought it was too small of a video to brag about but if it's here, lemme give you some context. Warning - some potentially boring technical stuff to follow.

This is actually the principal way we are writing/creating the game. Maps are created separately - with the excellent free Tiled map editor and then the actual game data - NPCs, dialogues, triggers, hotspots, containers etc. - is applied via the in-game editor while playing.

The map consists of tiles that have some inherent meta-information - for example, toilets work out of the box, no need to add anything in the editor. If you have added it visually in the map editor, it works in the game. However, if you want to have a locked door with a key and skill check*, you right-click the tile and add certain params in the side panel - "lock" for difficulty (3 - average), "key" for the item that is required. And this is the basic principle of how content creation works - you add params to tiles that describe or adjust existing inherent behaviour. For example, containers without params are unlocked by default and spawn items according to their tile type, but you can manually insert whatever item you want or add a lock/key.

Dialogues are another fundamental part of the game's content and they are written on the fly - you simply play the game, start a conversation and then enter the game editor overlay mode and directly write the conversation and it updates the game in real-time. You add branching options and write topics for them that spawn new options - typical stuff. There is sort of a "scripting" language that allows you to conditionally show/hide options based on game state flags (e.g. `has-seen-Finn-naked`), add skill checks, trigger script scenes, add/remove items and so on. The dialogue system is quite versatile.

Apart from this, there's also a JavaScript console with which you can call any command in the game code - load any level, add an item, again typical stuff. Very useful.

___
* if the door is locked it MUST have a key item and skill requirement, I think there are no "story" closed doors as a rule. If there's a locked door, you can pick the lock or find the key - if that makes sense, because keys can be lost or taken far away.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-adata-showcase-on-Sepikoda-roof-1.gif

"Adata" is a small and fairly weak make-shift pistol that shoots EM accelerated nails. But it's very fast and gradually tears apart armour.

The weapons in Space Wreck are in limited number but we try to add a distinct use case to each one. Adata deals limited damage, however, it is super fast (1AP quick shot) and each shot carries an additional "tear" bonus (how much it wears down the target's armour). For example, if you are fighting in a vacuum with somebody who is wearing a worn-out space suit, it may be easier to destroy their suit rather than drain all of the health.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer

Keycards have a new functionality - you can push a button and it'll remotely open a door if you are on the same level (deck).

Why? Gameplay-wise, there are a lot of doors and a lot of keycards in the game, especially the first location. This can get very annoying, because you find a key but that's sort of a dead end unless you know which door it fits to. It's not really gameplay - checking every door each time you find some random key.
Fortunately, there's a system today in our life which can improve this experience. A car. Almost every car now has a remote, you just push the button and it unlocks, even if you are far away. This is useful in huge car parks if you rented a car or just stole the keys. So this basic principle is applied here.

=====

Now, that I've gotten your attention with some GIF (video), let's talk business.
I am nearing the Early Access release for Space Wreck.

Is it ready? Yes. Are there bugs? Yes.

Most likely I will join Todd Howard and other accolades of unfinished crap pushed on the market with "glorious bugs" however I've decided it's better than polishing and fixing it in my "garage" for a few more years. Who knows, maybe more than 200 people buy it and I have some financial incentive to continue.

If you are concerned about the game's quality, don't take my word for it - you can ask 0wca or Marat (sorry to put you on the spot, guys). They played through the Space Wreck and provided me with valuable feedback. (Also, they exploded on bugs in the process.) While that was an older version, it's still telling.

Anyways, the main thing I, actually, wanted to ask is - the release date.

I am looking at a release window sometime in November, 10+. It would be nice if you - RPG players who follow the industry and releases - could suggest me a date. I don't commit to using it, however, I will take it into consideration - there's a chance you have a better sense of the scene than me.

TL;DR
Suggest a release date sometime in November.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom