Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

agris

Arcane
Patron
Indeed, we have reworked the layout of UI once again.
space-wreck-23-01-2022-17-19-42.png

Now everything is centered around the screen slate and positioned on the bottom. This way your eyes don't have to jump around, all you need is in one place.

space-wreck-23-01-2022-17-20-17.png

The screen slate - your main in-game tool - scales up once opened, so it is easier to read.

In retrospect, we have changed the user interface quite a bit over the last year, see the previous layouts below -

space-wreck-17-11-2020-20-27-33.png

space-wreck-08-10-2021-10-14-33.png

How are you handling different resolutions and the amount of the screen taken up by UI elements? Are you scaling the UI and game world such that your perspective always shows the same amount of the world, and the UI always takes up the same amount of space, regardless of resolution? Or are you going the old isometric widescreen hack method where higher resolution means smaller UI elements and a more zoomed out perspective, showing more of the game world at once?

I am increasingly convinced the latter method is superior to the former. Too many older games are ruined by people who don't know how to set their resolution, and one day Space Wreck may be played on 8k+ screens. If you don't scale layers correctly, people will not enjoy the game well.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not a graphics whore, but I don't think I could play something again with ZX Spectrum 128k graphics. I do not remember those times and that machine fondly.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm not a graphics whore, but I don't think I could play something again with ZX Spectrum 128k graphics. I do not remember those times and that machine fondly.

Visuals remind me of Ufo:Enemy Unknown and X-Com: Terror from the Deep (more of the latter, due to color palette). Hardly ZX Spectrum games.

wishbonetail

Learned
It looks like Fallout that was made in '90 instead of '97, it wouldn't hurt to add some volume with color gradients. That said Fallout's graphics and animations require tremendous amount of work so it's just easier to go 3d.

Harthwain

Magister
Jesus, I knew this site was Fallout fanatics, but unironically suggesting that someone should copy Fallout's look as if it wasn't ugly as sin.....
Not sure what you're on about. To me the original Fallouts always had solid look and withstood the test of time quite well. I can't say the same about the later Fallouts.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's not really a fair comparison because blobbers were very much in vogue in 1990 and there are a lot of good looking blobbers from '90. If anything, you'd probably just have to shift over to the adventure genre to find good looking games from 1990.
Anyways, Heimdall(cRPG), 1991
heimdall-26.png

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus, I knew this site was Fallout fanatics, but unironically suggesting that someone should copy Fallout's look as if it wasn't ugly as sin.....
Thank you for saying it. Original Fallout had an absolutely atrocious color palette that made the game look like dried up dogshit, and had really shitty building designs in a ton of places. So many settlements you visit are laid out before you like this
fwsxSNV.png
Wow that tent looks great, too bad it's surrounded by a bunch of fucking buildings that all look the same and make me want to slam my fist through the monitor.

Contrast this with the entrance to the Cathedral which looks great
VzpjYwh.png
and the vaults all look fine since they're underground, but honest to god the rest of the game just kills me with these roofs and building designs.

Putting aside the art, the games themselves have terrible combat and just aren't very fun to plate. This forum is filled with a bunch of NMA rejects that fellatiate FO 1 & 2 every chance they get despite being utterly mediocre games that have been far surpassed by other titles.

That being said, Space Wreck looks great love seeing all the progress!

agris

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
i like both tbh, but the newer one more

also the retards saying fallout looks like ass should go murda themselves. or play some of todd's trash they like so much

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom