Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
What's this game like? What are its strengths compared to other isometric RPGs such as Fallout, Arcanum or Underrail? Is there some particular direction you're going into, or a set of feature that hasn't yet been tried? I saw multiple updates dealing with vacuum and inertia. Is it safe to extrapolate that the game will allow a wide range of interaction with scenery objects and constructions of Rube Goldberg-esque sequences, like an unholy hybrid of Fallout, Hitman and Minecraft?

I know, could always play the demo. But why bother playing a video game when I can instead annoy strangers with inane questions?

I do hope for some impartial reviews eventually but, sure, I can pitch it for you.

Space Wreck is a lightweight hardcore role-playing game. It is intentionally short and [superficially] simple (I've got what, 6 skills?), it's sort of like an uncompromising one-shot table-top RPG session. Uncompromising in the sense that - yes - it's short but the world, the plot has more than you can get out of it in a single playthrough. I think that is sort of strength, compared to others - including very good! - RPGs on the market.

Another important part - combat is completely optional. A lot of RPGs have diplomatic routes but we take it one step further - you have to intentionally get yourself in the trouble because there are always multiple ways around it, even if you fail every skill check and your character is not built for dialogs or computers, or stealth. And because of that, we don't care if you can win the combat encounter - the combat does not have to be balanced or adjusted to the player's level, it's not fair and we don't care. And I think it's sort of refreshing.

So, combat is optional but - there's the thing, everything is optional. Yes, combat is optional but so are the dialogs. Or interaction with computers. Or engineering. Or stealth. Yet, if you want to indulge, every one of these gameplay styles has something to offer. I think that also is a stand-out feature.

In the end, the gameplay is about finding a route to your objective - whatever limitations you have imposed upon yourself while creating a character. If the door is closed, the gameplay is finding that window. Or drugging the guy with a key. Or maybe realizing that you did not need that door in the first place.

Is there some particular direction you're going into, or a set of feature that hasn't yet been tried? I saw multiple updates dealing with vacuum and inertia. Is it safe to extrapolate that the game will allow a wide range of interaction with scenery objects and constructions of Rube Goldberg-esque sequences, like an unholy hybrid of Fallout, Hitman and Minecraft?

Not sure. It's not 100% imsim (yet?). Not sure if building the sequences is the gameplay - I think it's more of an RPG with some bonus systemic options.

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
It is intentionally short

could you elaborate

like Morrowind that you can beat in 4 minutes or play for 4 years or something else?

There's a plot and it does not take long (3 hours?) to reach the end of it whatever way you play it.

However, the path is non-linear so you can have a different short playthrough afterward. 'Different' not only accounts for character build or different play styles (diplomacy, stealth, combat, engineering, etc.) but, for example, also different self-exclusive major locations and related subplots, characters, and quests. To put it in perspective, currently, you can visit only - at most - 60/40% of all available major locations in a single playthrough*.

Then there's lore and some related subplots to explore if you feel invested. Completely optional, mind you.

I don't think we can rival Morrowind but the map design is open so that you can quickly reach your objective - granted you know where to look, you have the right build, the right tools, and good rolls. The demo is a good example of that - it can be completed within minutes but players usually take around an hour for one path.

___
* disclaimer - this is the status of the current full-game build. It may change in the future. We do tend to move stuff around a lot.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
There's a plot and it does not take long (3 hours?) to reach the end of it whatever way you play it.

However, the path is non-linear so you can have a different short playthrough afterward. 'Different' not only accounts for character build or different play styles (diplomacy, stealth, combat, engineering, etc.) but, for example, also different self-exclusive major locations and related subplots, characters, and quests. To put it in perspective, currently, you can visit only - at most - 60/40% of all available major locations in a single playthrough*.

Consider making the tools you use for level design, scripting and dialogues polished enough to release without too much additional work. Think of Portal 2 user-supplied testing chambers.

Underrail could've had that kind of dynamic with waterways but alas, it was never done.

Alphons

Cipher
That could be fun- as you've said yourself Space Wreck is geared towards short playthroughs.

Modders wouldn't have to make an entire campaign like you're doing, a single location would suffice. With 6 skills and attributes it shouldn't be too hard to make something decent.

It wouldn't even have to be as open as Space Wreck- an arena, stealth only mission or something dialogue based- like a whodunit (AMOGUS).

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Do you like to party?

For the context - next 20 or so days we will be tweeting the most popular GIFs of the last year(-ish) to warm up for the Steam Next Fest coming Feb 21-28.

And, yes, we already participated in the last year's Fest with the demo. While this year we have an updated and much improved version of it - which you can already play right now - that is not all. We have an additional new tiny "surprise" bonus content specifically for this year.

Last edited:

just

Liturgist
wow like sierra games cant wait to randomly die while pressing a button, changing clothes, firing a weapon, opening a container, hacking a terminal, popping pills, talking to people, walking straight, standing still...
all theres left is to implement some retarded puzzles and we have a masterpiece with mixed steam reviews

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
For better or for worse, you have to actively look for trouble in Space Wreck to get yourself killed. I think a first-time 0 knowledge permadeath run is more than viable in our game.

Lhynn

Arcane
wow like sierra games cant wait to randomly die while pressing a button, changing clothes, firing a weapon, opening a container, hacking a terminal, popping pills, talking to people, walking straight, standing still...
all theres left is to implement some retarded puzzles and we have a masterpiece with mixed steam reviews
Not every rpg needs to be a power fantasy bro. Im fully on board with this.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Except it's not like Sierra games.

Sierra games had bad, illogical design that could get you stuck for missing an obscure pixel hunt in the first screen and never gave you any hints that this could happen.

Space Wreck looks like it's shaping up to be a game where you can interact with everything, and suffer logical consequences from your actions.
Like getting drunk while having low agility and then deciding to go on a spacewalk... yeah, what did you expect?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Pixel hunt was terrible, that part is true. But deaths were actually the highlight of most Sierra adventures. They were often hilarious or creative or plain weird. Sometimes even a logical consequences of your action. Sometimes. The difference is that Sierra's adventures were meant to be reloaded all the time, which was a debatable design choice but it worked in an adventure. Otoh in a proper crpg that would be terrible. So it is good that it isn't (semi-)random like Sierra here. Even in QfG series Sierra toned down that "mechanic". Or at least i remember it that way. Still, there were some fun random deaths to be had.

hello friend

Arcane
Pixel hunt was terrible, that part is true. But deaths were actually the highlight of most Sierra adventures. They were often hilarious or creative or plain weird. Sometimes even a logical consequences of your action. Sometimes. The difference is that Sierra's adventures were meant to be reloaded all the time, which was a debatable design choice but it worked in an adventure. Otoh in a proper crpg that would be terrible. So it is good that it isn't (semi-)random like Sierra here. Even in QfG series Sierra toned down that "mechanic". Or at least i remember it that way. Still, there were some fun random deaths to be had.
I think the best way to do it is if the game creates a save point right before the action plays out, and restoring the game to that point after you die. Maybe with an insulting loading screen in between. That way you can have a fun death scene without putting players through the makework of constant saving and reloading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom