Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
archer-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

It's tricky to steer right between overhyping and underrepresenting when promoting your "garage" built indie game. Please, take with a grain of salt everything that sounds too good. I hope to see impartial reviews at some point.

Nevertheless, these specific things I described SHOULD be already in the demo - mechanics are up for scrutiny right now, for free.

Might I also ask, do you have an estimate for how long the game will be?

At this time, it looks like one plotline should take 3-5 hours? But it depends on how you play, of course.

Also, note, if we stick to the current structure, you could see at most only 60% of the whole content in a single playthrough. And I don't mean just multiple solutions for quests, I mean 40% or 60% of locations are not available, including NPCs, quests, internal branching sub-stories. This depends on a subtle but logical gameplay decision, on how you decide to approach the problem. In fact, the branching happens already in the demo.

Because of the structure, the length of the game does not equal the "amount of the content". The game is short by design.

---

Disclaimer: this is the current state, we tend to move stuff around aggresively.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Jesus, I knew this site was Fallout fanatics, but unironically suggesting that someone should copy Fallout's look as if it wasn't ugly as sin.....
I didn't know you're this much of a filthy graphic whore
I don't know about you, but as ItsChon puts it, it's not the artstyle per se, but Fallout's color palette. If you have the same mindset, then the color palette of Space Wreck is fine, no? Unlike Fallout, Space Wreck still looks fine even all zoomed out like that.
You missed the point completely.
I personally have zero problems with Space Wreck's look. I was responding to commenters who were having problems with Space Wreck looks and suggested that making it "like Fallout" would somehow be an improvement.
it seems Beautiful Desolation doesn't takes place in Post-Nuclear America
It takes place in a post-apocalyptic desert (well, parts of it), so close enough.
And yes, it has better art style too, because it avoids the monotony that plagues FO tileset a lot more than color palette per se.
I have no idea regarding the financial and management situation from the folks at The Brotherhood, but we all know how the story went with Tim Cain and the folks at Interplay.
Are you for real? Comparing the financial situation of a two-brothers joint in South Africa with the 90s Interplay and implying the former could be somehow better?

wishbonetail

Learned
Jesus, I knew this site was Fallout fanatics, but unironically suggesting that someone should copy Fallout's look as if it wasn't ugly as sin.....
I didn't know you're this much of a filthy graphic whore
I don't know about you, but as ItsChon puts it, it's not the artstyle per se, but Fallout's color palette. If you have the same mindset, then the color palette of Space Wreck is fine, no? Unlike Fallout, Space Wreck still looks fine even all zoomed out like that.
I personally have zero problems with Space Wreck's look. I was responding to commenters who were having problems with Space Wreck looks and suggested that making it "like Fallout" would somehow be an improvement.
it seems Beautiful Desolation doesn't takes place in Post-Nuclear America
It takes place in a post-apocalyptic desert (well, parts of it), so close enough.
And yes, it has better art style too, because it avoids the monotony that plagues FO tileset a lot more than color palette per se.
I have no idea regarding the financial and management situation from the folks at The Brotherhood, but we all know how the story went with Tim Cain and the folks at Interplay.
Are you for real? Comparing the financial situation of a two-brothers joint in South Africa with the 90s Interplay and implying the former could be somehow better?
Fallout takes place in mostly post-war urbanistic landscape so it looks as monotone as most towns on google maps. Beautiful Desolation is a fantasy setup not resembling reality in any way more akin to Planescape. And yes, Space Wreck look like Fallout would be an improvement, because then it wouldn't look like child's MS Paint drawing.

Black Angel

Arcane
I already agree with you that Space Wreck don't have to use Fallout's looks like some suggested, but I guess I kinda didn't make it quite clear.

I still think you're a filthy graphic whore for thinking Fallout's looks ugly as sin, though.
No, not even close, baby. Just as wishbone mentioned above, you ought to take into consideration the actual setting between the two games. Fallout takes place in an alternate reality of an actual real world geography and topography, so you ought to take into consideration what they would've looked like in a setting as the people in the 50s envisioned the World of the Future™ looks like, all their buildings and infrastructures ,and all that shit and jazz. And then, apply the Nuke Filter upon it.

Besides, if we're talking about a post-apocalyptic desert, which kind of desert are we talking about, here? The Desert of California? The Desert of Sahara? Arabia? Mongolia? Australia? If you think they all look the same, I mean they are at a glance, then I can kinda see why you think Fallout looks monotone in all of its art style and palette.
We all know "better" here is subjective. What I see are two different art style, utilizing different techs. I have nothing to say about Beautiful Desolation in particular, but having close-to-realistic looks does not automatically make things better. And personally, I think Fallout's looks fine as hell, and will age like a damn fine wine well into even the far future. Would love to be proven wrong, though, I think someone has mentioned a mockup of New Vegas in isometric (cavalier oblique?) top down style, with a style not exactly the original Fallouts but close to it. But a mockup's a mockup, gotta see how it plays in action to judge how it looks and feels.

Except I'm not comparing *only* the financial situation, though? There's the management stuff, and in case you didn't really know how it went with Fallout 1, Tim Cain started all alone for the first 6 months of the development, and I actually forgot if he was still in the pre-production at the time or not. In the time period where real-time, first-person action shooter like Doom was all the rage, there he is, a damn nerd trying to develop a tabletop-based computer role-playing game, with a top-down, cavalier oblique, turn-based combat gameplay. Initially he wanted to use the GURPS system, but had to scrap it, and establish a makeshift GURPS-like known today as the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. And yet, despite all the praises and the critical acclaims, it didn't perform up to expectation financially. And then we have those stories about Black Isle/Interplay immediately developing Fallout 2, but Tim had some disagreement with the management, and yadda yadda.

What I'm saying here is that Fallout's development weren't getting the attention and investment it deserved when it first started, and with all the issues that followed, it's the factors of what I said to be the "technical limitation" argument, which to some extent, can be used in relation to how it came to look like. It might seem strange for people like me, who have literally zero problems with how the game looked like, to say that it looked the way it is because of "technical limitation". Because I personally have the know-how to play the game using modern-day rig, with the help of widescreen mod, the game looked close to how it's supposed to look like when played using the resolution that monitors has when it was first released, but upscaled properly to the resolution of modern-day monitors.

Bless the PC gaming.

V_K

Arcane
No, not even close, baby. Just as wishbone mentioned above, you ought to take into consideration the actual setting between the two games. Fallout takes place in an alternate reality of an actual real world geography and topography, so you ought to take into consideration what they would've looked like in a setting as the people in the 50s envisioned the World of the Future™ looks like, all their buildings and infrastructures ,and all that shit and jazz. And then, apply the Nuke Filter upon it.
Realism is never an excuse for boring stuff. You're not making a documentary movie, you have artistic license. If you're setting makes for boring envirnonments, set the game elsewhere, or revise the story to introduce more interesting elements.
And no, no real world city looks as monotonous as Fallout's dwellings.

Black Angel

Arcane
Realism is never an excuse for boring stuff. You're not making a documentary movie, you have artistic license. If you're setting makes for boring envirnonments, set the game elsewhere, or revise the story to introduce more interesting elements.
Where in my sentence there I tried using realism as an excuse? Using real life places as an inspiration does not realism makes. And again, "boring" is subjective, to you they may seem boring, but many others disagree with you.
And no, no real world city looks as monotonous as Fallout's dwellings.
It's funny how you proclaimed these environments are "boring", and the exact next breath you proclaimed how "no real world city looks as monotous".

And I'm pretty sure your statement here is false, because there exists plenty of dwellings out there, some still standing and inhabited these very seconds, that looks more or less the same as Fallout's dwellings. But like I said, that they're "monotous" or "boring" is subjective.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

V_K

Arcane
Where in my sentence there I tried using realism as an excuse? Using real life places as an inspiration does not realism makes
Poteito-potahto.
You're saying that Fallout looks the way it looks because that's how Southern California looks. Which is completely irrelevant: if Southern California makes for a (visually) boring and monotonous setting, nothing stops you from setting the game elsewhere. Or from reimagining it in an interesting way - nobody cares if it won't look like boring California anymore. Pyke's post above as the case in point.
It's funny how you proclaimed these environments are "boring", and the exact next breath you proclaimed how "no real world city looks as monotous".
If you take a boring environment and then try to recreate in an engine that can't do non-straight angles or multi-floor buildings and in a repetitive tileset that lacks details, they will look even more boring. That's no rocket science.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
We are working on the music for the game. This would be the track for the first location - an abandoned space station KROGUS.

For the context, this is the setup:
After a crippling attack on a passenger spaceship, an inexperienced captain must traverse wrecks of abandoned stations and derelict space hulks to find a replacement part in a space mining sector where 20 years ago workers and company clashed in a bloody and destructive conflict. This sector, dubbed the Junkspace, these days is largely abandoned and the rebellious miners - forgotten.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We are working on the music for the game. This would be the track for the first location - an abandoned space station KROGUS.

After a crippling attack on a passenger spaceship, an inexperienced captain must traverse wrecks of abandoned stations and derelict space hulks to find a replacement part in a space mining sector where 20 years ago workers and company clashed in a bloody and destructive conflict. This sector, dubbed the Junkspace, these days is largely abandoned and the rebellious miners - forgotten.
:dance:

Last edited by a moderator:

0wca

Learned

Getting some slight Mark Morgan vibes off of this, especially in the beginning. Also some D2 influence as well.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer

If you step out in the vacuum of the space, your helmet's visor slowly fogs up.

This helps to identify change of the environment - which is important, considering that outside you need a space suit or you'll take damage. And, also, I feel it adds a bit of immersion. I have glasses and live in country with cold winters and the fogging up can be a real pain in the ass.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
The new version (1.1.61) of the SPACE WRECK demo is up on Steam and itch.io!

There are A LOT of changes and you can read all about them (with GIFs!) in the post:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1063540/view/3084405227044910099

In short:
  • new & big UI
  • new OST
  • loading screen w/ GIFs
  • lots of improvements
  • ...and more!
itch.io: https://kamazs.itch.io/space-wreck-demo

In case you have feedback, feel free to post with any spoilers of sort in this thread:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/space-wreck-demo-feedback-loop-spoilers.137043/page-3

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
By the way, the "big UI" means that we zoom in considerably the screen slate upon opening. That allows reducing font size even though the text becomes larger and we can fit more in the screen.

space-wreck-06-02-2022-09-15-37.png

Basically inventory now has two columns (and way more items in them), same for exchange. Together with inventory filters, I think this helps a lot with the clutter.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What's this game like? What are its strengths compared to other isometric RPGs such as Fallout, Arcanum or Underrail? Is there some particular direction you're going into, or a set of feature that hasn't yet been tried? I saw multiple updates dealing with vacuum and inertia. Is it safe to extrapolate that the game will allow a wide range of interaction with scenery objects and constructions of Rube Goldberg-esque sequences, like an unholy hybrid of Fallout, Hitman and Minecraft?

I know, could always play the demo. But why bother playing a video game when I can instead annoy strangers with inane questions?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

cant go wrong with drone ambient for this game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom