Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Spaceshock - Sci-Fi Turn Based Dungeon Crawl

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Honestly, you didn't feel like they secure on their project... they had a "Grimrock in Space" game, we asked them for a turn-based combat, and they implemented it apparently without even understanding how much it changed the entire game.

Branm

Learned
Should of just stuck with a turn based blobber. M&M in space??? Fuck yeah!! Their pitch though was real weak to start off which pretty much killed the campaign.

Awww the shame all those art assets created for the iso-combat.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't think they created any new assets for the third person view except for the player characters which are just color swaps and they look really simple compared to the rest.

So, they've canceled the KS for Space Shock, which was not doing well anyway. Anyone have thoughts on what went wrong? Is it a flawed game design or was it simply a matter of not enough exposure? Was the goal too ambitious?

A shame to see it fail as it looked like a promising, high-quality production. Hopefully they keep working at it anyway.
Goal too high for some obscure niche project. You could say that the fact they have a demo to show should help, but that's not how kickstarter works...if anything having something solid to show probably hurts the funding :lol:

Also doesn't help that they have added the third person view really in a hurry just before hitting kickstarter, it doesn't seem to have basic things like LoS implemented and overall looks p. rushed. I mean if you're going to go by what people ask then do it right, otherwise stick to your views.

Inb4 bitComposer picks this up. :M

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a bad time for RPG Kickstarters. Wasteland 2 is just over the horizon and as far as blobbers go, there's MMX. I hate to say it, but we just don't need them that much anymore.
Well if 50 hours a decade is enough for you then good thing I'm making a strategy title.
I think the initial Kickstarter excitement has just worn off. We've seen some results and while they're decent games, none of them is an instant classic (not to mention Double Fine Adventure disaster). A well-known IP and/or well-known people could still raise a lot of money for a project, but something like Shadowrun Returns or Banner Saga would not get nowhere near the amount they got last year.

There is also the wait-and-see approach towards the highest-profile Kickstarter projects (W2 / PE / TToN / Broken Age, maybe also Dreamfall Chapters). If some of them (all of them?) prove to be really great games, it might revitalize the crowd-funding again. But even then, potential backers will probably stick to proven brands (developers and IPs). And if these games fail or turn out to be merely ok, we might wait a long while for another highly-funded campaign.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, unknown developers have it much harder on Kickstarter. To the point that it only makes sense to use Kickstarter if you are already a well known name.

Wizfall

Cipher
I think the initial Kickstarter excitement has just worn off. We've seen some results and while they're decent games, none of them is an instant classic (not to mention Double Fine Adventure disaster). A well-known IP and/or well-known people could still raise a lot of money for a project, but something like Shadowrun Returns or Banner Saga would not get nowhere near the amount they got last year.
I can understand you have been disappointed by SRR but i'm very confident that if SRR2 was kickstarted it would raise at least as much money than SRR 1.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can understand you have been disappointed by SRR but i'm very confident that if SRR2 was kickstarted it would raise at least as much money than SRR 1.
I am not disappointed by SRR (haven't really played it yet, I'm hoping for a 'save anywhere' patch, otherwise I will only be able to play when I get some leave from work), and I am not saying it was a disappointment. But the game is not good enough to reignite the Kickstarter excitement we experienced last year (or even this year, during TToN's campaign, but TToN had famous names and cult PST following behind it).

Larian and Divinity is probably more well-known than Harebrained Schemes and Shadowrun and they barely got $1M during their campaign in March.

Jonsnovv

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
Hello friends,

I hope you are all well.
it's been a long time since Space Shock failed on Kickstarter, but sometimes a fail doesn't mean your life is over. I got a chance to work on great game Alien Isolation (Lighting Artist) and I'm currently working on biggest IP in my career at well known studio. I have never abandoned Space Shock and have worked on it in my spare time. While there is no crowdfunding planned I have decided to public the playable prototype soon so people could try it.
There is a short video showing some improvements and what you will find in up coming prototype. Hope you would like it.

Regards
Roman

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonsnovv

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
No, I haven't and I do not plan to try it. If we are not able to work on the game full time with reasonable budget I will not ask for money from Early Access or similar alpha funding services. We asked for £150K because we wanted to make a game on time and in best quality, not only collect easy money and neverending delays and promises. Of course I can not risk my job again and I'm not able to work for the studio and own project at the same time, studio policy.

Quetka

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since the project failed on Kickstarter. We have decided to give you the chance to try our tech demo of Space Shock. Unfortunately, we didn't have it during our campaign. It's the old prototype, powered by Unreal 3 engine. If there is someone, who would be willing to spend some time to try it, there is a link.

https://we.tl/eRD0Va5DQf
Just download, install (as an admin if necessary) and play.

As we do respect your time, we need to provide some important information before you start.

1. This a prototype, not a final game. We are not working on this old build anymore.
2. Bugs may occur. If you can't continue playing the game, restart the current level: console (Tilt)---->RestartLevel
3. Menu Options is available at the beginning of the game only! (we apologize for any inconvenience, this is only a prototype)
4. Many combat mechanics are still missing. It might be clunky, there have been many improvements in the plan.
5. Content (animations, skills etc.) are only placeholders.

But anyway it is playable and maybe in a better condition then many games in Early Acces you need to buy.
It's completely free, we only ask you for your time. We know, time is money friends, so we tried to fix as many things as we could so we won't waste your precious time. If you found something you would like or not, tell us. We will do our best to make something more enjoyable and better.

A couple of screenshots.

https://imgur.com/a/vWVV2

MlfIyrM

Kind regards

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Great news you're still working on this.

Currently downloading the available version although I can't ensure I'll find the time to play it.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I have played up to the first fight in "Storage central" against many robots so far (by the way it seems I can't reload from there, clicking "Enter" does nothing while it works on "Storage"). I like both aspects of the game :
- regarding exploration the traps are cool and I like that you have to be attentive no to miss some interactive spot, entering the room with all the robots was fun too.
- regarding combat it's the beginning of the game so it's a little basic because the characters don't have many skills to use but the system works and I don't doubt it'll get very fun later with some more skills to choose from.
I'm definitely looking for the full game.

Quetka

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
I have played up to the first fight in "Storage central" against many robots so far (by the way it seems I can't reload from there, clicking "Enter" does nothing while it works on "Storage"). I like both aspects of the game :
- regarding exploration the traps are cool and I like that you have to be attentive no to miss some interactive spot, entering the room with all the robots was fun too.
- regarding combat it's the beginning of the game so it's a little basic because the characters don't have many skills to use but the system works and I don't doubt it'll get very fun later with some more skills to choose from.
I'm definitely looking for the full game.

Firstly, we are glad you gave the game prototype a chance. This is a bug. I forgot to put it in the warnings. We are sorry about that. Everything after that should work properly. Apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Skill are missing, we have designed many and more unique skills but they weren't implemented in this old (Unreal 3) build.

Kind regards

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom