Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Spaceshock - Sci-Fi Turn Based Dungeon Crawl

Jonsnovv

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
I can definitely confirm there is no more grid-based movement (except combat phase of course) in Space Shock.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I sort of preferred the first person turn based but RoA style is nice, too.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is like Realms of Arkania meets System Shock. Kind of funny that now it is neither a blobber nor has it RT combat anymore, so basically nothing like "Grimrock in Space". Which in my opinion is a good thing.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Definite :incline: from the original concept. This has great potential. Is there going to be a more involved story/more to the game than straight-up dungeon crawling now too (unlike Grimrock)?

SkeleTony

Augur
Also, what's up with a 1-emote reply? I thought we moved past /b/ years ago.
If you have a problem with what I said, tell me why, or what is wrong about it, or how your opinion differs. Don't just leave me in the dark feeling I made some mistake without even telling me what I did wrong!

I don't even feel like I'm being treated as an adult. I take every opinion here seriously- I wish at least the others who joined around my time could give me the same courtesy.

Your opinions suck. Real time is contradictory to the very genre of "Role Playing Games" because if combat is to some degree rooted in YOUR reflexes (as opposed to your character's) then the game is just another twitch game about how fast YOU can push buttons or move the mouse.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Oh, it's a first person blobber... wait...

oh no it's 1st person step-based and real-time
oh no it's 1st person step-based and turn-based
oh no it's 1st person non-step-based and realtime
oh no it's 1st person non-step-based and turn-based
oh no it's isometric step-based and real-time
oh no it's isometric step-based and turn-based
oh no it's isometric non-step-based and real-time
oh no it's isometric non-step-based and turn-based
oh no it's isometric AND 1st person step-based and turn-based
oh no it's isometric AND 1st person step-based and real-time
oh no it's isometric AND 1st person non-step-based and turn-based
oh no it's isometric AND 1st person non-step-based and real-time

... what the hell... :decline:
Get your shit together and then come back...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think for a sci-fi game free movement like in System Shock or Deus Ex fits better than step-based movement. And the combat is now 100x times better than the Grimrock mambo.
I got over my slight disappointment of this not being RT a long time ago (didn't have much faith in it anyway, as the devs keep changing the design focus every other week), but I've always preferred grid based movement to free movement for all my blobbing needs, and not even DraQ's aspie argumentation has been able to change my mind.

I stand by my :decline: verdict for this latest development.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Usually I prefer grid-based movement + turn based combat as well. But hey, even in Realms of Arkania 2 you could switch to free movement, even though I always kept the step movement.

Maybe leaving the player to choose between step movement and free movement would be the best solution, since essentially both are possible.

D. W. Bradley is a dramatic playwright of cRPG, similar to Shakespeare for theater.

D. W. Bradley was a dramatic playwright of cRPG, but has since lost his way.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Why not implement all 12 combinations and leave the choice to the player :P

DraQ

Arcane
free movement
If you step down from abstraction, what represents step based movement, you start to notice how static everything is, in contrast to your party move freely and end up with simulation approach similar to Bethesda. Not to mention crappy engines running LOD, stuttering, map design and all that jazz. Is that a good thing? Step based movement, creates more immersion ( game events timing, etc ) and consistent tempo, it is clean and comprehensible game rule and is less prone to bloat code compared to free movement. Free movement is unpredictable, while giving more freedom to player in exploration ( which is not that special feature, for example Morrowind being called the "hiking simulator" ), it ultimately produces more random and loose game experience.
what is it i dont even

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Free walk and overhead turn-based combat?

:yeah:

They really need to get a better translator though. The bad English on the KS page will probably put a lot of people off.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
$400 FOR THE BOXED COPY?!!!!!!!!!
:x

Man I hope this isn't a trend for Kickstarters to start exponentially jacking up the price for boxed copies! $400 is pretty steep even for me. For that asking price the genre and pedigree of the team would need to interest me far more than this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom