Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Spaceshock - Sci-Fi Turn Based Dungeon Crawl

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/858695532/space-shock-0

http://indiestatik.com/2013/01/03/space-grimrock-has-a-name-space-shock/

ss-1024x547.jpg

steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_116458018_preview.jpg

I was alerted to this gem in the stickied Indie RPG thread here. It looks amazing. A couple of things:

-It appears to take place in a spaceship, like system shock 2
-It's a real time blobber. Grid Based movement.
-Appears to have horror elements like System Shock 2
-Party based, full char gen
-Unlike Grimrock which had traits for pcs only at char gen, Spaceshock seems to have have many traits to choose from at level up. This is great, and something sorely missing in Grimrock
-Lots of Psi powers.
-Weapons include guns, rifles and ofcrouse futuristic weapons. no mention of melee yet, but I bet they are in there. I'm already thinking about making my Psi guy a melee warrior as well. (aka Jedi!)
-Ability to split the party up, so It's definitely possible to do stealth and possibly stealth kills.
-Greenlit on Steam
-Will be entering Kickstarter soon (will be backing this for sure.) 99% confirmed to reach it's goal whatever that may be.

Looks so sweet. The Kickstarter pitch video should have glimpses of gameplay, so I am amped for that. Only issue I have is that you have a 3 person party instead of at least 4, if not 6. But looking at the screenies and the small hallways, I suppose it makes sense as more than 3 people won't fit abreast. Plus is means all 3 can be in the 'frontline'. But I do wish they had the option of at least one more PC, even if he/she was in the backrow...with mostly guns and ranged weapons everyone should be able to attack.

One negative kind of thing I note is it appears rules light stat wise: There are only 4 attributes for instance. No mention of any skills. Also, there is apparently some movie coming out also called Spaceshock (www.spaceshock.com) so they may have to change their name. I hope they do...spaceshock gives the impression of some type of arcade game (system shock was a great name for a game though)

If anyone knows anything more about this post here. I don't think there is even an official website for this yet. Would also love to know who is making this, Kwans or someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's almost a shame Grimrock was so succesful and encourages more grid based blobbers. A gridless single character game like the System Shock would have been much more interesting.
But hey, it may turn out great anyway.

It's almost a shame Grimrock was so succesful and encourages more grid based blobbers. A gridless single character game like the System Shock would have been much more interesting.
But hey, it may turn it great anyway.

:bro:

I agree. It looks like Grimrock, pretty, but shallow, simplistic and boring IMO. Nothing like System Shock unfortunately. But maybe good thing come out of this "blobber" revival. Some party based crpg's with gorgeous graphics and first person perspective, like M&M and Wizardry perhaps? :obviously:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Everything about this game shouts "Captive remake" to me, with some of the more esoteric options removed, of course.

Something to keep an eye on.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That is the most boring looking combat I've seen in a while. God damnit, you need to have some kind of feeback when your characters are shootan'

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
That is the most boring looking combat I've seen in a while. God damnit, you need to have some kind of feeback when your characters are shootan'

Game does have feedback. Watch the whole vid, feedback box is on lower left plus there is graphical feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhEc8_xnaAc

(thanks to Tzaero for the vid link!)

Even better than I had hoped. However, there doesn't seem to be much diff graphics wise and effects wise between Psi Powers and ranged weapons. Hopefully this gets changed. This is still a work in progress very much though, so who knows what can change or be added.

Regarding combat being 'boring' what do you want, animated scripted kills activated by awesome button sequences ala god of war? WTF dude. It's just like LoL, EoB, Dungeon Master, and Grimrock. It lacks varety of enemies true, but they are still in the early stages of actual development. Maybe this robot enemy is the only model they have animated fully this far.

And why the heck should they make this single character? Are you ppl retarded? This is not FPS Codex.

Though yes, it would be even better if it were turnbased. Regarding grid or no grid I don't really care either way, though I do slightly prefer grid less (but who knows, if they put in horror elements and atmosphere it may work out. But plz, no space zombies...I would prefer Amnesia type horror)

Ulminati Yes this calls for a KKKodexian interview for sure, especially launched at the time of the Kickstarter, to give the game more visibility (ppl read the interview, then rush off to donate!)

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Cheating the enemy by sidestepping is not the best idea you can do. You will recieve a lot of damage from the anti cheating abilities. se clever tactics to stay in fight and you will defeat deadly enemies-Frame 2:28 on Video I linked above

:incline:

So this means no dancing around foes like Dungeon master and Grimrock. :bro:

But I do enjoy side stepping enemy attacks once in a while, adds a little element of fun and strategy, especially with multiple such foes. But it should not be required for every other foe, just a bare few 'special' enemies.

Hopefully we can influence their development during/right after the kickstart, say by special access to mod forums or something.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
But hey, it may turn it great anyway.

:bro:

I agree. It looks like Grimrock, pretty, but shallow, simplistic and boring IMO. Nothing like System Shock unfortunately. But maybe good thing come out of this "blobber" revival. Some party based crpg's with gorgeous graphics and first person perspective, like M&M and Wizardry perhaps? :obviously:

Uhm, this is exaclty what this is. Look at the background detail in the vid above. It is gorgeous, though yes it doesn not have overland areas like Wizardry and M&M...but what do you expect in Spaaaaace and a limited/indie budget.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You're being harsh on Grimrock, Maxson. It had a narrow gameplay basis, but being fairly short it still managed to deliver and stay fresh...

Now it's true that simplicity won't be an excuse now that this type of gameplay has been thoroughly explored, and that the first impression has faded.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It's still in the VERY early stages of development. But holy shit, a Sci-Fi dungeon crawler. IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks awesome. The administrators should decide whether it gets the official Codex endorsement.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
FPS style combat looks far more enjoyable than this shit.

And I hate FPS style combat in RPGs.

zeitgeist

Magister
But maybe good thing come out of this "blobber" revival. Some party based crpg's with gorgeous graphics and first person perspective, like M&M and Wizardry perhaps? :obviously:
I doubt it. I mean, when these "revivals" happen, others look at a successful game and they think "I could do this" and then they do something that doesn't even approach the game they were inspired by. Who thinks "I could do this, only bigger and better and more complex" anymore. People of such mindset don't need a genre revival to start working on their game in the first place.

-It's a real time
this saddens me.
when are we going to have something like a new wizardry?

it's good that its ruleset impedes the retarded "hack-step back-repeat until enemy dies" but still...
i want turns or action, not a half-assed mixture of both.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good, I miss blobbers. All hail LoL & Dungeon Master & EoB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom