Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Spaceshock - Sci-Fi Turn Based Dungeon Crawl

Ebonsword

Arcane
Good, I miss blobbers. All hail LoL & Dungeon Master & EoB.

It's not like there hasn't been any blobbers released over the past few years. There have been. It's just that they've all been almost exclusively released on handhelds like the PSP and DS.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Name a few? Most of the handheld games that I know are classical Wizardry-like RPGs. Where are the real-time blobbers?

Jonsnovv

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
Ladies and gentlemen!

You might have became bored by watching the robot as the only enemy in Space Shock videos. Now, please welcome this little creature to the bestiary! It is still WIP but we will show you the final and fully animated creature very soon.
778859_418826614861341_63688499_o.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Sorry Codex but if this game comes with a decent story you know it is going to be awesome. I only wish they would make it phased/turn based instead of real-time.

Also, way to launch a Kickstarter with what is clearly a fully functional prototype. Do this or get out, I hope no Kickstarter ever succeeds again based on talking heads with a sketch on a table napkin.

dragonbait

Augur
I prefer "Grid based movement". The majority of the games I play are grid based, and I prefer to keep it that way, cause grid based movement rules IMO. It's just a style that I like and so do others. (except morgoth apparently) ;op

And I agree with Cleve. Make it turn-based!

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While I would prefer turn-based, real time like LoG is ok, as long as there are keyboard shortcuts for everything in the UI.

Make sure you get some literate native English speaker to proofread all your text, clumsy writing can really ruin a game.

Jonsnovv

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
Turn-based combat in Space Shock?

We have received a lot of comments from the community and our fans related to the Combat system in Space Shock. It seems the most of our fans would prefer tactical Turn-based combat so we have created an early prototype of the Turn-based combat showing how it might look like. Please remember this is only a concept of the Turn-based combat, nothing has been balanced (energy costs, damage...) and this is only from 1st person PoV, will be only used in the Base game at low funding goals (will be replaced by Dragon Age/Baldur's Gate style combat with tactical pause and 3rd person PoV).

What you will find in the video?

When the party is detected by the enemy (robot) the combat mode is turned on. From now all party moves and actions cost energy. You will find in the video several actions the party is able to use in the fight against the enemy like movement, attacking with the weapons, using PSI Powers. You will also see the character counter-attacking during the enemy's turn or one character protecting the other party members with his own body (split party).

We hope you will appreciate our interest in your voices calling for more tactics into the fights in Space Shock. Do not hesitate and leave comments or suggestions on our new forum http://spaceshock-game.com/forum/index.php Feedback will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdI9TbBE3Ic

Regards
Jonsnovv

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While I appreciate your willingness to listen, in my not so humble opinion nothing good has ever come out of attempting to implement both RT and TB combat side by side (see X-COM 3, Arcanum).

Also:
replaced by Dragon Age/Baldur's Gate style combat with tactical pause and 3rd person PoV
Why would you want to use that in a dungeon crawler?! Does not compute.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
THAT is a very good start! That is now something I am personally interested in. :incline:

Grimrock Combat Mambo IN SPACEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! was just not appealing at all to me personally.

Now possibly add some more skills, and possibly an AIM skill (to allow you to aim at specific parts of an enemy that effects them). Like for example targeting their legs, if you fully damage them, their movement is reduced etc...

Good job!

:takemymoney:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Video is awesome, Jonsnovv! Hope you guys won't switch around the combat to a BG kinda thing when you already have a working and very good looking prototype. Can't wait to hear more about the game. Are you guys aiming at exploring a single derelict or are you looking at a bit more open ended or variation in the game world? Personally I'd love to visit all kinds of places such as derelicts, space stations, barren moons and so on.

PS: Do have a look at such classics as Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Planet's Edge, Hired Guns, B.A.T. and Hard Nova. Plenty of good ideas to steal and bad ideas to avoid there.

Renevent

Cipher
Saw this a a couple weeks ago...looks fantastic. Not a fan of the realtime combat, but it'll probably be fine. I enjoyed Grimrock just the same even if it also had realtime combat :P

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
this is only a concept of the Turn-based combat, nothing has been balanced (energy costs, damage...) and this is only from 1st person PoV, will be only used in the Base game at low funding goals (will be replaced by Dragon Age/Baldur's Gate style combat with tactical pause and 3rd person PoV).

I'm not sure I get it. So the current prototype is first person turn-based dungeon exploration and combat, but as a stretch goal you will turn it into... real-time with pause isometric exploration and combat? Not that I care a lot - do whatever kind of game you want to make - but doesn't that sound a bit weird?

Jonsnovv

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
While I appreciate your willingness to listen, in my not so humble opinion nothing good has ever come out of attempting to implement both RT and TB combat side by side (see X-COM 3, Arcanum).

Also:
replaced by Dragon Age/Baldur's Gate style combat with tactical pause and 3rd person PoV
Why would you want to use that in a dungeon crawler?! Does not compute.

The pledgers on Kickstarter will decide what type of combat will be in Space Shock. Exploration (out of combat) will remains as Real-time like in Ambermoon, Albion...

At the top funding goal this game won't be an ordinary Dungeon crawler anymore. There is no reason giving to the community dungeon crawler if we achieve the top funding goal. The players will get an RPG game like DA or ME for their money.

Jonsnovv

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
this is only a concept of the Turn-based combat, nothing has been balanced (energy costs, damage...) and this is only from 1st person PoV, will be only used in the Base game at low funding goals (will be replaced by Dragon Age/Baldur's Gate style combat with tactical pause and 3rd person PoV).

I'm not sure I get it. So the current prototype is first person turn-based dungeon exploration and combat, but as a stretch goal you will turn it into... real-time with pause isometric exploration and combat? Not that I care a lot - do whatever kind of game you want to make - but doesn't that sound a bit weird?

At the top funding goal this game won't be an ordinary Dungeon crawler anymore. There is no reason giving to the community dungeon crawler if we achieve the top funding goal. The players will get an RPG game like DA or ME for their money. Both existing prototypes are meant for base game at low funding goals.

Renevent

Cipher
The TB combat video looks really nice, especially the ability to focus attacks on certain parts of the enemies.

"replaced by Dragon Age/Baldur's Gate style combat with tactical pause and 3rd person PoV"

Hope not!

DeepOcean

Arcane
Turn based is much better, on real time is way too easy to avoid enemy fire judging by the video. If they are going to make the final game real time, they should avoid Grimrock ridiculous enemy kiting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At the top funding goal this game won't be an ordinary Dungeon crawler anymore. There is no reason giving to the community dungeon crawler if we achieve the top funding goal. The players will get an RPG game like DA or ME for their money. Both existing prototypes are meant for base game at low funding goals.

This is not a good way to sell a game. Pledgers are contributing towards a particular game concept, not an amorphous piece of software. Decide what kind of game you want to make, and make that.

Ordinary dungeon crawling worked well for Grimrock so I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to go in that direction.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At the top funding goal this game won't be an ordinary Dungeon crawler anymore. There is no reason giving to the community dungeon crawler if we achieve the top funding goal.
It is your game, but may I ask why is that? One would assume that your community actually wants a dungeon crawler, as that is what the begun as. You might shoot yourselves in the proverbial foot here, as your backers might be discouraged to pledge more, because that would shift the game to a different genre.

The players will get an RPG game like DA or ME for their money.
Heh, for a given value of RPG, sure.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I don't feel like derailing this thread so I'll be brief. With this kind of pitch, I fear you will alienate dungeon crawler fans and Baldur's Gate fans alike. A pitch has to be focused and show that you know what kind of game you want to make (you, not the hypothetical 'average backer') and that you have the tech in place to make it on time (a prototype, for example). A pitch also has to know its target audience - however, with this kind of vague pitch (we can make this, but we can also make that or maybe some other thing) you will only leave the audience confused. At least I know I won't pledge to this kind of project (because I won't even know what exactly I'm contributing to!) -- but maybe I'm wrong and you know better; just my $0.02.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom