Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Speculation - Rerelease/remaster of SSI games

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by DaveO, Jun 14, 2021.

1. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    I am basing this off of looking at the gaming company I am working with for release of a novella I will be publishing soon. They have the rights to Phantasie, Questron, and Wizard's Crown/Eternal Dagger. Why would they go through the trouble to get the rights? My best guess is that the company intends to rerelease those games on mobile devices(this would take the least effort) or possibly remaster for other platforms.

• Interesting x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Excited! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Informative x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TwoEdge Learned

TwoEdge
    Scott Bayless was a programmer on Pool of Radiance, Azure Bonds, and Champions of Krynn but ended up migrating to the production/business side of things. The others do not seem to be linked as directly, although they are old-schoolers, being involved in titles such as Starflight and The Immortal. Maybe there's something interesting stirring there, we'll see.

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    They also copyrighted SSI. And the company focuses on mobile and other games.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    This begs the question...
    With all the old abandoned games out there from the 8 bit era, could other companies be trying to do something similar?
    My brother mentioned years ago about releasing the older games on mobile, and I don't see much that would prevent this. The difficulty would be to decide which ones to re-release. There are quite a few that come to mind to me, but this is at best guesswork.

^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Oh right, this coincides with this.

Trademarks were filed a week after that he said he submitted some docs to GOG.

I thought this would more likely be just simple DOSBox re-release but that would not take more than a year, right?

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Makes me wonder if they're setting up something like The Bard's Tale remastered trilogy in terms of production. I'm not sure how well that would work with SSI games' visuals, though.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Chippy Arcane Patron

Chippy
    Remasters are nice. Remake into something like the TOEE engine would be most fappable.

^ Top  
  9. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Do you really want your favorite games to get the attention of the currentyear crowd?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    Now about those possible candidates just as additional speculation. I realize at the moment, nobody has the rights to some of the games I am about to mention.

I do see the old Lode Runner, Miner 2049er, Jumpman as ones off the bat. Now if they were super aggressive, I could see Crush Crumble and Chomp being updated along with the old Orion games by Epyx. Threshold deserves a remaster, and it would be a good challenge for today's gamers. Even the Crystalware catalog like Fantasyland 2041 could be redone.

Boulder Dash was redone, so with a pool of available and easily added levels Jumpman and Lode Runner could have hundreds of levels to clear.

^ Top  
  11. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Well, I should have noticed that these trademarks are abandoned as of the time we found them out because they didn't submit docs stating their actual use cases.

(Also funny, the parent of Middle-earth Enterprises opposed the trademark of Sword of Aragon.)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    So, there won't be Microprose style revival of SSI happening?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    I didn't understand what you just said. Those trademarks were never active, because they didn't file them correctly? Explain pls.

Their status says "active".

^ Top  
  14. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Oh yeah, I should have linked the official listings. The original link I posted is not the official trademark office website and the listings are not up to date.

This is from the official DB you can look up here (search Forthright Entertainment in owner name field): https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk

[​IMG]

And a page for Phantasie for example: https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=88913023&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

You can see Prosecution History for what happened to this trademark. They didn't submit docs that prove they are actually using these trademarks and are not some trademark trolls. (IIRC simple thing like coming soon teaser page would have been enough at this stage but IANAL.) They just didn't bother for some reason, so the office closed the applications.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    time for codex to buy the trademark for SSI games

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. JamesDixon Arcane Patron

JamesDixon
    In the Adventure Master's Lair on Malignost
    Strap Yourselves In
    You might as well forget about a faithful remaster of the AD&D SSI games because Hasbro wants to push Not D&D 5E. If there is a remaster then it will be using those rules. Hasbro let the trademarks lapse for AD&D.

^ Top  
  17. Ol' Willy Arcane Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    I wonder who owns Panzer General trademark. This is a huge name

^ Top  
  18. unseeingeye Cleric/Mage Patron

unseeingeye
    Strap Yourselves In
    This is what I thought when I saw the title of the thread. There is just no way it would happen when they are retroactively dissociating themselves from or rewriting earlier edition materials.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.