Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Tomipapa

Educated
https://spellforce.com

https://af.gog.com/game/spellforce_iii?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/spellforce_3_soul_harvest?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/spellforce_3_fallen_god?as=1649904300

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/spellforce-3/artikel/spellforce_3,50148,3059062.html

Zero german skill here, so with the help of google translate: Developement is in a very early stage( eight months), it's a prequel(taking place before SP 1), and the original author will write the story. No release date but i wouldn't expect it before late 2015 or early 2016.

600x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I uninstalled Spellforce 1 after a few hours. In trying to mix RPG and RTS elements it only succeeded in watering down both.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I had no idea this was coming. Good news considering I fairly enjoyed the first two games for what they were. Kinda surprised they kept making new expansions for Spellforce 2, though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for this preview! It makes it sound like a Real Time take on Birthright (ie, trying to have 3 concurring gameplays at once, instead of the usual 2 minigames supporting the main game, like in X-COM). I kind of like this type of game, but I am not sure there is much audience for it. But for me, one of the appeal of spellforce 2 was that your heroes allowed you the cut through the enemy army without having to endure the bland RTS part.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never played spellforce 1 or 2. I expect this trend will continue when spell force 3 is released.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Looks real pretty, how were the old spellforce games? Any hope for this one?

catfood

AGAIN
I only played the first one and all I can say is that it was averagely mediocre, but I enjoyed it for a while. The RPG in an RTS is a cool gimmick at first but the problem is that the game:

1. Has a really bad interface which is basically a death warrant for an RTS. While you can put units into groups and give basic orders like hold ground, there just aren't any advanced commands that you can give, no formations, no nothing. And the worst part is that you have no control over how units use their spells. So for instance healers will pay the full mana cost (let's say 25%) to heal a unit that has taken one hit of damage. And I do mean healers, because all of them will be trying to heal the same unit at the same time.

2. It drags on for way too long and it degenerates into a grind. There are just too many maps and the formula that you need to use to get through them is the same most of the time. The "RPG" maps help break the monotony somewhat but most of the time the quests are of the go-there-kill-that-bring me that variety.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I played first Spellforce and finished it but I quit 2nd one pretty fast. Don't remember exactly why (probably bugs or being unpolished or performance). I just might "demo" this version when it is out :D

I only played the first one and all I can say is that it was averagely mediocre, but I enjoyed it for a while. The RPG in an RTS is a cool gimmick at first but the problem is that the game:

1. Has a really bad interface which is basically a death warrant for an RTS. While you can put units into groups and give basic orders like hold ground, there just aren't any advanced commands that you can give, no formations, no nothing. And the worst part is that you have no control over how units use their spells. So for instance healers will pay the full mana cost (let's say 25%) to heal a unit that has taken one hit of damage. And I do mean healers, because all of them will be trying to heal the same unit at the same time.

2. It drags on for way too long and it degenerates into a grind. There are just too many maps and the formula that you need to use to get through them is the same most of the time. The "RPG" maps help break the monotony somewhat but most of the time the quests are of the go-there-kill-that-bring me that variety.

They also never bothered to make an actual AI. Instead enemy bases have portals that spawn units on a timer and immediately send them towards your base. No resource gathering or scouting or anything, just waves on every map. Lots of times the strategy for a map is figuring out how much you can do before "activating" an enemy base, then reloading and building up/clearing out as much as possible before doing so.

It's still a fresh idea of a game, if they can do it better then I'll be very interested.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/117287-spellforce-3-gameplay-details-and-screenshots.html

Heroes and Quests
Similar to its successful predecessors, players create their hero from scratch and can then develop the hero’s skills during the campaign, complete quests, explore the game world and join forces with up to three characters to form a group of heroes.

Organic Growth
The map in SpellForce 3 is divided into different sectors. The player’s base will always grow organically, not arbitrarily. This means that the player can only conquer sectors, which are connected to the base or other, already conquered, sectors. This is important, because there is no “Global Economy”, but the distribution of resources will happen mechanically (resources are being transported via carts). The player can decide which raw materials they want to collect, distribute and export in each sector and must therefore carefully plan where to build the sectors.

Sector Management
If, for example, the player defeats all the enemies in a particular sector and the bandit camp is captured, they can establish an outpost in this area. The player can then construct buildings in the sectors, exploit raw materials (wood, stone, food, etc.), transport goods and produce resources to then recruit new fighting units. Each outpost has a set number of workers who can be hired, so a core element of the game is to balance the economy and manage the sector to ensure the most efficient deployment of the available workers.

Hybrid gameplay
We don’t want to ignore the RPG component and want players to have the best gaming experience possible with SpellForce 3, so the micro management is not as hectic and fast-paced as in many other RTS games. Players can therefore enjoy both gameplay genres (RTS and RPG) in equal measure.

SpellForce 3 Features

- RTS/RPG Mix: Unique gameplay combining RTS and Top-Down RPG genres
- RTS: the RTS part focuses on macromanagement (overall strategy, building a base/economy, conquering of zones, managing large groups of units)
- RPG: the RPG part puts emphasis on micromanaging the party of heroes (skills of ALL heroes of the party have assigned keyboard bindings) in battles
- Create & Customize: assemble your party of heroes and choose between numerous combinations of different skill builds
- Strengthen and command your army: Prepare your troops and f ight the mother of all battles. Moreover, players can utilize a wide array of strategic choices (like e.g. terrain, troop formations, visibility, scouting etc.) that would make Sun Tzu proud
- Epic Storyline: Unravel a deep and sophisticated story, eventually leading up to the events that cause the world-changing convocation ritual
- Rich Universe & :Lore: Explore the world Eo and discover intrigues, secrets and a lot of loot for your hero
- Extensive Single-Player Campaign: 30+ hours, even more when you manage to discover all the things Grimlore put in the world
- Multiplayer: Strong multiplayer component with various modes - Play cooperatively or in versus battles

Mazisky

Magister
Game is supposed to be released this years but there is complete lack of informations, no gameplay videos, almost zero coverage on magazines and very few update (mostly artworks) from devs.

I wanna know more

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game is supposed to be released this years but there is complete lack of informations, no gameplay videos, almost zero coverage on magazines and very few update (mostly artworks) from devs.

I wanna know more

Try asking HobGoblin42.

Last edited:

Mustawd

I wanna know more

10 bucks it won't have day/night cycles.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I wanna know more

Try asking HobGoblin42.
That might explain these problems. They are relatively inexperienced, and properly made sequel of SF2 demands a lot of skills. BTW why didn't they use original programmers of SF2?

Mazisky

Magister

I wanna know more

10 bucks it won't have day/night cycles.

Yeah, you sorcerer, i was looking for that

No excuses this time, the previous title had it

Mazisky

Magister

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom