Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the performance is terrible. Although it is smoothly playable on my machine, the frame drops are very noticeable when they happen. It doesn't stutter or anything, but the buttery smooth scrolling stops being buttery smooth.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, the performance is terrible. Although it is smoothly playable on my machine, the frame drops are very noticeable when they happen. It doesn't stutter or anything, but the buttery smooth scrolling stops being buttery smooth.
Really makes it annoying in the city map in base game. Which is a shame because that city looks great.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Really makes it annoying in the city map in base game. Which is a shame because that city looks great.
:hmmm:
I played it with gtx 580 and didn't have any drops lol. Most likely it is due to some effect like bloom or something similar. I generally turn off that garbage.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah I dunno. I didn't get them often. But they happened to occur in the city most.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah I dunno. I didn't get them often. But they happened to occur in the city most.
Hmm for me the city run very smooth,tho the latest expansion did give me some hick ups. It could be a thing that came with the new expansion. Mess around with the settings and see what is working for you. That said,it is normal for a game to have a few fps drops in it. If it happened once or twice in a 30 hour game,it is not worth discussing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It depends on what you mean by "fps drops". It doesn't stutter, but it falls from 60+ fps to 30-35ish and it's very noticeable. Not only in the city, but also when a lot of the map is visible, like for example when the camera is at a high peak somewhere. You can notice that in the tutorial mission where you try to retake the castle ruins from red. Since the castle is on a hill, the fps drops like a stone when you position your camera over the castle. The settings don't change that, it mostly gives me 5 extra fps or something when everything is on low. It's faaaar from unplayable, it's just noticeable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Soooo, what's up with this game? Are there any news? Are they still working to transfer the original campaign into Soul Harvest?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Soooo, what's up with this game? Are there any news? Are they still working to transfer the original campaign into Soul Harvest?
To my surprise, there are actually a few dozen people playing the game:
https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=spellforce+3

Of course, that split into different executables/entries in Steam doesn't help the game at all.
But while I find these player numbers surprisingly high (for an RTS that isn't SC or AoE), there is no way an actual company can earn money with that.

Honestly, I'd be fine if they just released more story content. Campaigns, maybe a proper conquest-style mode, etc.
Stuff like that for more SP goodness.

They do keep releasing patches (last one from April 8th), so it doesn't seem entirely abandoned.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Been playing Spellforce 3 Fallen God. Surprisingly good RPG/RTS hybrid game. Although the RTS parts had tripped me up and slowed my progress since I haven't played these types of games in a very long time.

Too bad this type of game or RTS games in general aren't more popular.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I played the base game and I have a conflicting relationship with this game, really liked the story, really liked some quests and some characters, the game has a gritty fantasy almost dark fantasy take similar to the Witcher that I like and the art direction is just gorgeous. Really nice ideas about magic and people relationship with it as you basically plays as the son of a mage supremacist genocidal dude and there are all sorts of complexity involved in there, it isnt the good guys vs the bad guys.

The gameplay however... this seems like a storyfag game. I wouldnt call it bad but every time there was a long RTS mission, I wasnt exactly pumped for it and it was becoming a chore that I had to force myself to deal than something fun. The main issue is that the abilities and the way you control your characters was designed with a RTS in mind but when you were doing RPG dungeon exploration for example, the lack of the RTS elements really shown as you have a limited number of abilities to use and you kinda go: group of enemies -> spam same 3 abilities -> enemies dead -> repeat and I dont think that was enough to make the RPG gameplay interesting on the long run.

The RTS missions, it was fun, using your heroes to demolish entire enemy armies and etc but my main issue was that this sector system leads to a slow as fuck pacing and the game is pretty simple in terms of RTS mechanics with some basic paper scissors thing with shallow base building, it is basically spamming the same buildings but on different sectors over and over, and oh Lord, some maps way too many sectors and as the Ai cheats heavily, the tactical value of stuff like harassing is really diminished because the Ai can almost instantly rebuild any base it loses so any tactic that it isnt rushing as fast as possible going for the kill or turtling with towers until big army is built is useless. So, it is slow and kinda of simple what really made me bored.

Basically, over time, I thought the slow pacing was making me bored on most of those missions longer missions and over time, if I had a good enough starting army, I was just agressive, and if it was possible, I moved my army right to the entrance of the enemy base and intercepted the infinite Ai armies in there instead of bother chasing them all over the map and moved to the kill as soon as possible to make the RTS sections as short as possible, the most annoying missions were exactly the ones I couldnt do that and boy, they took a long time. It was a fun game and there is nice stuff in it but the gameplay formula... eh... are the expansions better?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
seems like a storyfag game
long RTS mission
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yes,RTS scene is known for being a storyfag dominated. Nigga just say that you are shit at RTS and let it go.

abilities
The original system was a lot better than the new one.

his sector system leads to a slow as fuck pacing
Nah that is you mate,i could finish the rts parts in like 15-30 minutes. The game rewards being aggressive,if you rush the enemy sectors and manage to wipe their armies early on,you could dominate the game.

Jinn

Arcane
They were going to port the original campaign into the expansion's system, ie - changes to character progression, gameplay changes, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the idea in general, as it seemed like a fair amount of work for something relatively unprofitable. Also haven't heard anything about it for like two years.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Replayed sf3 a few months back, no changes had been applied to it yet. Which isn’t for the worst imo, I prefer how sectors worked with visible convoys transporting goods around your turf. Yes it made the rts sections slower since you couldn’t just snap your fingers and have wood chopped down by lumberjacks in the corner of a map teleport to the frontline so you can build a tower right away but overall added weight to your expansion efforts and is one of the rare cases of supply lines mattering.

That the ai cheated by ignoring the rules that applied to you is another matter entirely and no fault of the system, would be cool if you could starve out the ai just by raiding caravans to his main base.

Jinn

Arcane
The cheating AI in the RTS sections is my number one problem with the game, and the thing that stood in the way of my enjoyment of it the most. It also just seems like a pointless and poor design decision overall, but I guess it saved them from having to actually craft an AI for resource and building management.

In other words, LAME!

TwoEdge

Scholar
They were going to port the original campaign into the expansion's system, ie - changes to character progression, gameplay changes, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the idea in general, as it seemed like a fair amount of work for something relatively unprofitable. Also haven't heard anything about it for like two years.
They issued an explanation on their discord in may. It was delayed due to scope, lack of resources, and focus. They guarantee it's coming, though.

SpellForce 3 - Statement about further developments
Dear SpellForce Community,

We are very thankful for all your feedback, and it makes us really happy to see your passion and dedication to SpellForce.
We want to be very transparent with you and for the lack of a less corporate sounding term “manage your expectations” a little bit but don’t worry we still have some great SpellForce 3 related stuff under way.

We are currently around 40 people at Grimlore. About 20% of us are working on SpellForce related content, including Skirmish Balancing/Maintenance/Bugfixing, the SpellForce 3 Rework project, the journey/free game mode which was teased last week and some other smaller things. 80% of us are already working on a completely different project that we can't go into detail about for quite some time. This means we have to juggle a lot of different projects.
Going forward, we need to set priorities for the SpellForce related resources and therefore we decided to primarily focus on balancing the current content improving general stability and implementing bug fixes. Bigger, more game-changing adjustments will not be a focus of our efforts.

After we finish our current SpellForce related projects, we will re-prioritize our schedule. We will also continue to listen to and engage with the community and players and, if it makes sense, scale up our efforts to further improve the game.
We understand that you might be hoping for bigger SpellForce news and we would like to stress again that we still have a lot to offer with regards to SpellForce but please don’t expect any full scale addons or even a sequel any time soon.

As a passionate community you deserve openness from us. We are very confident you will be pleasantly surprised by the content drops (free of charge of course!) that will be coming soon.
Thank you for your ongoing interest and support! It really does mean a lot to us all.

Best,
The Grimlore Games Dev Team

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Its coming AFAIK.
Tbh it could be really good from sales perspective and fresh reviews on steam. Directors cut / Gold version or whatnot, like Wasteland 2 did.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
A bit unrelated, but the next project from Spellforce dev is a Top-Down ARPG name Minerva.

Here hoping it is a fantasy game based on Greece myth, this kind of setting is criminally underused imo.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
As a long time fan of the Spellforce games, I am sad but not surprised that they have moved on to their next project.
:negative:

Uses Unreal engine

These guys have talent, and Spellforce 3 already had most elements of Action RPG including random loot so I think this could be really good.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Top Down ARPGs normally don't interest me, but if they lean more on narrative/encounters and less on Diablo style gameplay, I'd be more interested.
So more Divinity than Titan Quest.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is this a reference to Warcraft 3: Reforged? Spellforce 3 will get Reforced update on December 7th, coincide with console release:

Last edited by a moderator:

Renevent

Cipher
These guys have talent, and Spellforce 3 already had most elements of Action RPG including random loot so I think this could be really good.

I think they not only have talent but have some of the best artist in the industry. Spellforce III is gorgeous even though on a technical level isn't the most advanced game out there. I'm really surprised they haven't gotten more attention for this but some of the games locations are downright amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom