Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Spellforce 3 is indeed one of the most gorgeous 3D games I've ever seen, so yeap, major props there. As for "reforced", is that the rework of the main campaign?

vazha

Arcane
Mayhap with less base-building and more party-adventuring? One can dream, after all.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Mayhap with less base-building and more party-adventuring? One can dream, after all.
Afaik, it's just a translation of the main campaign over to the improvements of the later expansions. What that entails, however, is a mystery, but I doubt it's a complete overhaul or redoing of the missions.

Parabalus

Arcane
The new UI + skill adjustments from the expansions is prob the main one. The original has a pretty weird system with 3x3 skills per hero, and passive skills taking a slot.

Mazisky

Magister
They confirmed that this Reforged version is basically the polish and new mechanics of the lastest expansions ported back to game 1.

Think about playing Warhammer 1 (Spellforce 3) vs playing Warhammer 1 faction in Warhammer 2 (Spellforce 3 Reforced)

vazha

Arcane
I don't even remember why I stopped playing this one - it was either some orc mission that absolutely insisted that I build a base ( didn't want to) or me wanting to create an archer mc and discovering you couldn't. Finished the DLC though

Will give it another go once the re-designed schtick comes out.

Lacrymas

Arcane
All of Spellforce 3 is worth buying. Maybe all of Spellforce period, but that's more contentious. 3 is easily the best of the lot, even if a bit more standard than the others. As for who gets what, we don't know. At least I don't see any info in the trailer.

Repressed Homosexual
All of Spellforce 3 is worth buying. Maybe all of Spellforce period, but that's more contentious. 3 is easily the best of the lot, even if a bit more standard than the others. As for who gets what, we don't know. At least I don't see any info in the trailer.

I'm really surprised of that because most reviews I saw on Steam, Metacritic and the like said that the strategy and management aspects of the game were dumbed down and it has become just a Dawn of War clone. I'm surprised to see that the Codex thinks highly of the game, I would've anticipated the reaction to be even worse.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's actually more akin to Warcraft 3 than to Dawn of War. I wouldn't say it's dumbed down, not any more than Spellforce 2 was already. I'd say the RPG part is better in 3. Spellforce 3 actually tried to have a competitive scene and some fairly serious tournaments were held, but I don't know if that went anywhere. The RTS mechanics aren't as fleshed out as in Warcraft 3, so that part is mushy and not very well realized. People here like it because it's an expansive RPG with 3 loooong campaigns, surprisingly well-written companions, gorgeous graphics (seriously, these are the prettiest 3D maps I've ever seen), it's a prequel to a cult classic and you get excited by how well they've implemented previous famous characters and races, and it's not terrible gameplay-wise.

Bara

Arcane
So the base game is worth buying, and buyers will get a free upgrade on Steam to the Reforged version?

Are all the expansions worth buying too?

Yes especially because each of the expansion actually continues the timeline after the main game instead of just being mid game additions like current day dlc.

It's so rare now a days I have to respect anyone who does it.

Repressed Homosexual
It's actually more akin to Warcraft 3 than to Dawn of War. I wouldn't say it's dumbed down, not any more than Spellforce 2 was already. I'd say the RPG part is better in 3. Spellforce 3 actually tried to have a competitive scene and some fairly serious tournaments were held, but I don't know if that went anywhere. The RTS mechanics aren't as fleshed out as in Warcraft 3, so that part is mushy and not very well realized. People here like it because it's an expansive RPG with 3 loooong campaigns, surprisingly well-written companions, gorgeous graphics (seriously, these are the prettiest 3D maps I've ever seen), it's a prequel to a cult classic and you get excited by how well they've implemented previous famous characters and races, and it's not terrible gameplay-wise.

I have less and less time to play and don't know how to decide.

I found the best way to pick the games I'll play and sort through the trash: play almost any game that Codexers really like.

I've been doing this for years and it has never disappointed me.

I'll order Spellforce 3 and the 2 expansions in the Humble Bundle summer sale right away, if it has the Codex seal of approval.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
They confirmed that this Reforged version is basically the polish and new mechanics of the lastest expansions ported back to game 1.

Think about playing Warhammer 1 (Spellforce 3) vs playing Warhammer 1 faction in Warhammer 2 (Spellforce 3 Reforced)

Good news. Will play it for sure :)

jf8350143

Liturgist
Hmm so they are finally fulfilling their promise, being waiting for that.

Haven't play the newest orc expansion yet, maybe will play it when the reforged version comes out.

Mazisky

Magister
I don't agree with all the graphics praises. The game has the "Attila" filter which makes everything washed out, the colors-artstyle are generic and dull in a typical german game fashion, they also removed the day\night cycle of the previous games.

It doesn't look bad by any means, but it's not that technical masterpiece someone claims either.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hmm so they are finally fulfilling their promise, being waiting for that.

Haven't play the newest orc expansion yet, maybe will play it when the reforged version comes out.
It is a Ogre Troll expansion and it is better than previous one.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
My pc is too shit to play Spellforce 3, may be I'll upgrade it in spring and check it out by then.
LOL You don't need any new powerful RTX GPUs to play SP3 on highest settings. It runs perfectly fine on any mid end machines.
Sure, tell me about it.
whBImzi.png

Alright, I guess I'm doing it.
what-have-I-done.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom