Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spider-Man (PS4)

Ivan

Arcane
watch an hour of actual gameplay
tenor.gif

Ivan

Arcane
Finished the campaign. Final thoughts: fantastic campaign and production values, found the combat anemic and wished for a tighter camera, web slinging feels fantastic, story was very well done, many feels. Pleasantly surprised by this.

Terenty

Liturgist
It's now 20 dollars. Started playing it on Friday...

I don't think I'm getting a PlayStation 5. I'll stick with PC and maybe Nintendo.

Every time these PS4 exclusives make me envious I watch an hour of actual gameplay and the feeling goes away.

I'm glad i got ps4 as a gift, the only interesting games were Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Last guardian and Death Stranding, which comes on PC. All the rest was shit from the same assembly line of bankrupt creativity

sullynathan

Arcane
This game is quite fun. There's some Ass Creed and Arkham in it, but still exhilarating in its own way. Combat has some depth in it and is fairly loose, I actually think it's more fun and creative than Arkham at times.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Played it a bit. It's a good game. But it's also a spiderman game. So it's not that good.

I'll be back next thread for another quality analysis.

sullynathan

Arcane
Beat it.

Having some of your gadgets mapped on the D-Pad would be better than switching to your last used gadget by double tapping L1. Arkham games did this well.

There are some moves that conflict with each other. If you're too close to an enemy and try to web throw, it will instead pick them up to do regular throw. This is a problem, because you can't turn off moves you've bought and the AOE throw does far more damage.

There are a surprising amount of glitches and bugs in this game. Getting stuck inside unenterable buildings, stuck in the air in an invisible walls, enemies getting stuck between world geometry. The last one is the worst especially when you're doing a mission since you can't damage the enemy and can't beat the mission so you have to resstart checkpoint.

Bosses are great however. The ones that particularly take use of the aerial combat and web swinging are phenomenal. Vulture and Electro boss fight was great, kingpin was very good too. Shocker, Rhino and Scorpion bosses were ok.
The missions are also quite fun with their use of traversal. Being able to cling on just about every wall, whether it's running, crawling or standing upside down is handled rather well.

Squid

Arbiter
Beat it.

Having some of your gadgets mapped on the D-Pad would be better than switching to your last used gadget by double tapping L1. Arkham games did this well.

There are some moves that conflict with each other. If you're too close to an enemy and try to web throw, it will instead pick them up to do regular throw. This is a problem, because you can't turn off moves you've bought and the AOE throw does far more damage.

There are a surprising amount of glitches and bugs in this game. Getting stuck inside unenterable buildings, stuck in the air in an invisible walls, enemies getting stuck between world geometry. The last one is the worst especially when you're doing a mission since you can't damage the enemy and can't beat the mission so you have to resstart checkpoint.

Bosses are great however. The ones that particularly take use of the aerial combat and web swinging are phenomenal. Vulture and Electro boss fight was great, kingpin was very good too. Shocker, Rhino and Scorpion bosses were ok.
The missions are also quite fun with their use of traversal. Being able to cling on just about every wall, whether it's running, crawling or standing upside down is handled rather well.
Well said. Gadget thing bugged me too.

Venser

Erudite
In order to bring the best performances to players with our next-generation Marvel’s Spider-Man games, we have recast the face of Peter Parker. We loved working with John Bubniak on the original game; however, to get a better match to Peter Parker/Spider-Man actor Yuri Lowenthal’s facial capture, we have cast Ben Jordan to be the face model for Peter Parker on the PS5 console. He looks incredible in-game, and Yuri’s moving performances take on a new life.

From Andrew Garfield knockoff to Tom Holland. Definitely not a fan of the new babyface Peter.

50395503493_d2070bef5e_k.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Warning to those that have standards and may be curious about this: I've played a bit, it's popamole along the lines of Assassin's Creed and Batman: Arkham Shitty. Combat is the typical mindless crap, possibly slightly better than the popamole standard due to a moderate number of options available in combat and slightly more aggressive enemies (on hardest diff.), but you still mostly press button something awesome happens. Timing, aiming, combos, reading AI patterns with even a modicum of complexity...none of this is *really* present, just like Ass Creed and Batman. Traversal of the game world requires zero skill or engagement, just like As...Side quests are typical AAA cringe, possibly worse with pandering to modern decline culture like "help streamer get more followers while she acts like an annoying braindead moron as to be expected", and lastly you get these lame forced "stealth" segments where you play as Mary Jane creeping around with no skill required against braindead AI. I thought we were here to play as a superhero? But not really because the game mostly plays itself anyways.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In order to bring the best performances to players with our next-generation Marvel’s Spider-Man games, we have recast the face of Peter Parker. We loved working with John Bubniak on the original game; however, to get a better match to Peter Parker/Spider-Man actor Yuri Lowenthal’s facial capture, we have cast Ben Jordan to be the face model for Peter Parker on the PS5 console. He looks incredible in-game, and Yuri’s moving performances take on a new life.

From Andrew Garfield knockoff to Tom Holland. Definitely not a fan of the new babyface Peter.

50395503493_d2070bef5e_k.jpg
Tom Holland Spiderman > Andrew Garfield, so A-OK in my book. Although in the context of the game the change is a bit unfortunate, since in the game Peter is an adult now, and Tom Holland plays the teenager Spiderman.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't mind the model change. The OG one looked like 35+ but my understanding is that Peter is just 23 in the game?

Citizen

Changing the character model was a dumbfuck move and its not been the first time these fuckers have tried this.

Spider-Man-Remaster.png

Left one is def more handsome but he looks like James Franco, can't have spider-man look like Harry Osbourne from OG triology

Ash

Arcane
Lol they changed him from Chad to Incel. Probably released as Chad for mass appeal, now declined to this ugly duckling to be more true to the virgin loner maskless spiderman is supposed to be? I don't actually know, most Marvel stuff is lame anyway. They should change his dialogue too because in cutscenes he acted a little smooth at times. Now he looks like an unfortunate cuck he should act the part too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Finished Arkham City: Spider-Man edition. Web-slinging was fun, as was the Elfman-reminiscient theme that plays while you do so. Combat and stealth are what one should expect from a big budget title, though they can get pretty demanding with the side activities, especially in the DLC (which increasingly ramps up difficulty to the point where it was almost exhausting for me to play in the third one).

The writing in the 2000 game was better though. Didn't like how this one took a turn for the serious and dark in act 2. There's a bit of ludonarrative dissonance with how Peter is perpetually broke (and at one point, evicted/homeless), yet you're able to just spam all these extremely expensive-looking gadgets fighting bad guys. It's also lightly pozzed; the devs and Peter simp hard for Mary Jane, who can apparently do no wrong even when she does reckless things or conceals important information because she's mad. There's also a side mission in the third DLC where Peter gets a black guy who overstayed a work visa a new job and gushes over him. Jameson's based though; his broadcasts are great and his assessments are largely accurate whenever he's not drawing a humorously absurd conclusion.

mogwaimon

Magister
Finished Arkham City: Spider-Man edition.
This game wishes it was even a fraction as good as Arkham City. It's not
this is true. Spider-Man is a moderately decent action game with some major low points while Arkham City borders on great and has less low points. I mean, Catwoman is much hotter than Mary Jane and actually contributes something besides terrible contrived stealth sections so that's already a notch for the Bat :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom