Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Software news

wizard

Liturgist
Next project is Nethergate 2.0:
We are about to begin beta testing of the Windows version of Geneforge
4: Rebellion, so it should be available in 2-3 months. After that, we
will begin work on a new, more modern version of an old classic.
Yes, we are making Nethergate 2.0!

Jeff then has posted a little bit info about Avernum 5 in this thread. Mostly about minor things, nothing huge about the plot.

For those fearing that Jeff is only going to make more Geneforge's, Avernum's and other remakes he has this to say:
I do have plans for games with new engines and worlds, but Geneforge and Avernum are both in storylines that still have to end.
If you want to know, Jeff has stated that the Geneforge storyline will end in GF 6 while there is no info when the Avernum storyline will end

EDIT: Also Jeff stated in this thread that Avernum 4 saved Spiderweb Software from doom

LCJr.

Erudite
Vogel making a sequel of a previous game is hardly newsworthy.

4. We have no plans to ever again release a game where users can design scenarios. The current game systems are too complicated for most users to pick up in a reasonable time frame, the games themselves take way too much time to write, and after their release we are generally too busy keeping the business afloat to support them as well as we would like.

(A portion of the Spiderweb community was disappointed in Avernum 4. Bear in mind, however, when I look at it, I see the game that saved my business.)

I have looked at the scenario bugs list quite a number of times. They are irritating problems, to be sure, but there is nothing there that justifies this level of commitment.

For the work to be worth it, these things have to happen.

1. The improvements have to result in new scenarios that would not have existed otherwise.
2. These new scenarios will have to bring new people to purchase Blades of Avernum (a game which people didn't want much in the first place).
3. The benefits have to be better than if I sat down and worked on an all-new game people wanted to play.

I just don't see these things as happening.

That last bit is interesting. Is he saying the user made scenarios suck?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually, I think he's saying that they are not profitable for himself.

You know, as in "Why make an effort to let players make new scenarions for one game when I can invest that effort in making a brand-new game I can sell for money?"

Psilon

Erudite
Not to mention that toolsets require different developer skills than normal games, and while Jeff's been pretty decent so far it's obviously not his specialty. I mean, have you looked at the BoA editor source?

Still, at least GF4's a pretty good game so far. Much better than GF3 was in terms of faction selection, although it's got an annoying journal popup when you start new quests.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm now near the end of Avernum 2 and I want to say that it really is a kickass game. I still have Avernum 3 to play, so no $ for Jeff for some time. Although I think I will buy Nethergate 2.0, I played the demo of the first version and liked it almost enough to buy it.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Elwro said:
I'm now near the end of Avernum 2 and I want to say that it really is a kickass game. I still have Avernum 3 to play, so no $ for Jeff for some time. Although I think I will buy Nethergate 2.0, I played the demo of the first version and liked it almost enough to buy it.

I think Avernum 2 is the best in the series. A3 is a too big and the towns/quests/npcs/ end up being very generic.

Ladonna

Arcane
I have played the demo for A4, but it seems (at the moment) that its just a graphical facelift over A3, rather than an update in mechanics and features....

Personally I am looking forward to Dhargul more than another Vogel game at the moment. Wolf Mittag seems to have a decent writing ability about him.

I might get a copy of A4 if the drought continues.

LCJr.

Erudite
FrancoTAU said:
I never played Nethergate. Anybody want to offer up some opinions?

Try the demo. http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/nethergate/index.html
It's one of his older games so the interface is mainly keyboard.

Setting is historical with the exception the faery folk turn out to be real. Game lets you play from the Roman or Celtic side. Romans have good military skills and equipment. Celts have magic. The remake is the only project he's announced recently that I'm interested in.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Gothic 4 is out? WOWSERS! They need to fix G3 first!!!

Slylandro

Scholar
Whipporowill said:
Anyone with a mac bought or demoed G4 yet? Any first impressions?
I haven't gotten it yet but if the forums are any indication it seems to be better than the other 3. Of course, it is the forums, so take it with a grain of salt.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Slylandro said:
Whipporowill said:
I haven't gotten it yet but if the forums are any indication it seems to be better than the other 3. Of course, it is the forums, so take it with a grain of salt.

Well, considering I remember seeing people there not being too pleased with the last Avernum - I'd say this qualifies as promising. Just had a quick peek myself.

Slylandro

Scholar
You may be right. Here's the thread I was (pretty vaguely) referencing in either case. A fair number of posters are claiming it's the best of the Geneforge series and/or one of the best games Vogel has made. Here's another short thread that seems to hint at the reason why GF4 may be better-- Vogel actually listened to some of his fans for once.

Psilon

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
First impressions: It's actually a much better game than GF3 was so far. Graphics are nicer, verging on decent, the writing allows for more faction interactions than simple kill all rebels/kill all Shapers, and the new creations are fun. Wingbolts FTW.

I'm not going to say too much more at this point, as I'm still playing unfinished code, but I'll be happy to elaborate as the beta gets closer to release. Verdict so far: Buy the game. It's far better than A4 was.

suibhne

Erudite
I'd get it for my Mac in a heartbeat if the same key would also allow me to install it later on my PC. :(

SkeleTony

Augur
Vogel is also making Blades of Exile open source soon which is interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom